SicTorn's Legs....

I started running about five times a week starting two weeks ago. I now have a ridiculous amount of pain in my legs after every run. It radiates all the way down the anterior tibia in both legs. I’m assuming this would be what is commonly called shin splints.

How do I make the pain go away and how do I avoid it in the future?

This has happened to me in the past even when I’m only running once or twice a week.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Stop running so much.

Or, stop altogether as running sucks.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:
I started running about five times a week starting two weeks ago. I now have a ridiculous amount of pain in my legs after every run. It radiates all the way down the anterior tibia in both legs. I’m assuming this would be what is commonly called shin splints.

This has happened to me in the past even when I’m only running once or twice a week.

Any suggestions are much appreciated![/quote]

I used to run track back in the day. Shin splints were a common complaint. Be sure to warm up and stretch thoroughly before each run and a cool down with light stretching after running. See if that helps.

One of the reasons I dont like running long runs is because my legs, knees in particular feel so beat up from running.

Do you really like to run or would you be into trying other forms of cardio? Like cycling for example, or sprints that can be done on grass so the shock isnt as bad…thats all I can think of as a skinny fucker I dont do much cardiovascular training.

And yes I did check this thread because I thought there would be pic of your legs…thats not awful is it?

[quote]SicTorn wrote:

Any suggestions are much appreciated![/quote]

There could be any number of causes - muscle imbalance, tightness, poor gait, bad shoes, a hard surface, uneven arches, etc…

The best remedies are usually orthotics when necessary, gait assessment/fixing, and anterior tibialis work with a DARD or similar exercise. Since you can clean and jerk pretty well, it’s probably not tightness in your case.

-Dan

Usually dorsiflexion work has solved this problem, try dumbell dorsiflexions. Another movement could be your flexor hallus longus (spelling or term someone?), by focusing on a calf raise with the majority of the force on your big toe.

We do a lot of running out here and most of the guys who have knee problems and shin splints have poor running form. So work on correcting your stride (tri gw could probably help with this) and run on a softer surface and get new shoes. Hey, and if running doesn’t work for you, try swimming. It’s the best cardio you can do.

I would lokk at the surface you are running on. If it is black top I would try to get to a track. It is just a personal thing but maybe 5 times a week is over kill; I dont think that any more than 3 days a week on non-consectuive days benifical.
You could try to ice your shins befor and after running.
Goo dluck
Will42

I had this same problem when i was on the football team early in high school. I solved it by quitting, haha i rock! but seriously, i still watch out for it and what has helped me is focussing on not running on my heels. you may not notice it but your probably hitting the ground with your heels too hard, and not rocking forward, or something to that effect… hope that helps!

As someone who ran ~ 40 - 45 miles a week consistently for over a year and a half (prior to my introduction… or maybe indoctrination into T-Nation), I hopefully can shed some light on this.

Most people (I’d reckon 90% of the people I used to see on my runs) have terrible form. I never once experienced any shin splints or injuries. I logged over 1500 miles total in a year’s time.

The first thing is to become conscious of your running form. I know this sounds so cliche, but I believe that is the key to solving most problems. Pick up any one of the running magazines and just glance through it - almost every issue reiterates proper distance running technique.

Secondly, a good, high quality pair of running shoes. Cross-trainers won’t cut it.

Lastly, go see a doctor if the pain persists. For me, once I started seriously squatting and deadlifting, I simply couldn’t run the distances I used to. I now do 8 x 400 meter sprints with 90s rest intervals 3x a week and enjoy it a lot more than those marathon cardio sessions.

[quote]battlelust wrote:
Or, stop altogether as running sucks.[/quote]

I can’t. I’m prepping for a physical test. In a week, after I take the test, I can limit my running to once or twice a week.

I have good shoes and I’ve been stretching out before and after running. I have to run on concrete because the only place around here that I have to run is sidewalks and a bike trail.

I have also been going out to the dunes and doing hill sprints in the sand but I don’t think running barefoot is helping me…

[quote]Devil0351Dog wrote:
We do a lot of running out here and most of the guys who have knee problems and shin splints have poor running form. So work on correcting your stride (tri gw could probably help with this) and run on a softer surface and get new shoes.[/quote]

Could very well be my stride and how hard I land on my feet with each step. I’ll see what I can do to change it. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Before going into all the mechanics ho-hah above…

A) How new are your shoes? How old are your shoes?

Always taper in new shoes and throw out old shoes at 3 months for 300 miles. Regardless of how new they look. 3-4 months and running shoes are done.

B) Don’t run on sand unless you feel confident that every muscle in your lower leg/foot is trained for that type of instability. IF you dont consider yourself the avid runner, it is not the best idea

C) RICE RICE RICE RICE!! RICE!!

Fix the simple problems and if problems still persist, worry about mechanics.

Is this the FF CPAT you are training for?

About a month ago I posted a thread about the DARD- how to make one and it’s use- this thing is your best bet for getting rid of shin splints. Good luck!

Shoes are about three months old. I didn’t put a lot of wear and tear on them with running until recently though.

Thanks for your advice about the sand.

No, I’m training for a police physical.

I used to get horrid shin splints when i ran on the roads and all, even with proper shoes. Even though it is kinda a waste of gym time, give the treadmill a go. When i run, i don’t notice any shin pain at all, only a little residual ankle pain from an old injury - and that is pain i get no matter what i am doing.

Before and after running, try putting a towel under your toes and proceed to grip, un-grip, and grip the towel over and over again…this should alleviate some of the stress in the muscles along the front of the shin bone.
Hope this helps!

I and some PTIs I knew used water running to increase our running ability so we could avoid running on land. Start off with a float belt and progress to without.
One of the PTIs only ran on land for his physical tests, and he put us younger guys to shame.

This takes a little time to learn, though, and might be most beneficial to start it seriously after your test so you don’t add too many new stimuli to your current training. Could be decent active recovery, though.

Hope this helps, wish ya the best.

I would buy your next pair of running shoes now and start to wein them in. Go to a running store and have them analyze your gait… etc.

IF you are training for something where you have to run… DO NOT use a tredmill.

Your best bet is to run on asphalt take it easy and watch your stride. If you are striding you are more likely to come down with shin splints.

You also could have started out a bit hard on the distance/volume. How long have you been training run specific.

What type of modifications have you done to your training.

What distance or what specifically are you traiing for in the test.