Sick with Mag-10. Advice?

About 3 weeks ago, I tried doing the Pulse feast routine and on the second day after doing my first pulse, I had to vomit. Thought maybe that I was getting the flu or something…ended up with a bad cough and nasal thing that took about 10 days to kick.

So after feeling better started another pulse last Thursday. Same reaction but no cough or cold this time. Ended up vomitting all afternoon, dry heaves…

I did a forum search and learned that some people have used a 1:1 mixture of MAG-10 and Surge Workout Fuel. I have some SWF. Is the Mag suppose to taste so bad ?

I mixed the Mag correctly, 2 scoops to 16 oz water w/ 3/4 cap of flavoring. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mike.

Is it the taste of it making you vomit, or do you vomit sometime later and it does something to your stomach?

Either way, stop taking MAG-10 for now.

Had no problem the first day I took it. Got sick within an hour both times that it happened. I don’t think that it’s the taste that’s doing it. Product makes my stomach hurt.

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of this. Infact, I drink MAG-10 when vomitting to keep me hydrated.

Maybe you are intolerant or allergic to casein, or something in the flavoring???

A friend of mine couldn’t keep MAG-10 down, either. We couldn’t explain it…just something about it seemed to make him sick. I can’t imagine, because it does the opposite for me, it has a soothing effect.

Anyway, my advice to him was to send me the rest of his MAG-10. It worked out really well.

But yeah, I’ve heard of it before so you’re not the only one.

I have had the same problem. I couldn’t keep it down, it would come up after an hour or so being in my stomach. At first, I thought it was the volume of water, but after reducing the water, I still had the same problem.

I am just thankful that I love Surge Workout Fuel and I continue to use it without any problems. To be honest, I think I have better workouts with Surge Workout Fuel.

Now I had this problem with the old MAG-10. I haven’t tried the new Anaconda or MAG-10 due to my past issues.

I just use my Surge Workout Fuel and Surge Recovery. :slight_smile:

[quote]turtlemike39 wrote:
About 3 weeks ago, I tried doing the Pulse feast routine and on the second day after doing my first pulse, I had to vomit. Thought maybe that I was getting the flu or something…ended up with a bad cough and nasal thing that took about 10 days to kick.

So after feeling better started another pulse last Thursday. Same reaction but no cough or cold this time. Ended up vomitting all afternoon, dry heaves…

I did a forum search and learned that some people have used a 1:1 mixture of MAG-10 and Surge Workout Fuel. I have some SWF. Is the Mag suppose to taste so bad ?

I mixed the Mag correctly, 2 scoops to 16 oz water w/ 3/4 cap of flavoring. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mike.[/quote]

Can’t say we’ve heard of that happening. Are you taking anything else the same time you’re taking MAG-10? Any other supplement or med? HOT-ROX? Tea? (Tea causes stomach upset for some if they drink it on an empty stomach. Me, for example.)

Have you tried to just use MAG-10 normally, as an in-between meal pulse a couple of times per day or post-workout only? I wonder if it’s just the volume you’re taking in using the Pulse Feast strategy, which works for many but isn’t for everyone.

Play with the amount of water used. The label recs are usually minimums, so feel free to adjust the amount of water.

Although I can’t say it’ll taste good, try replacing the sweetener with Crystal Light or similar to see if that makes a difference.

One more thing to consider: Some people who have become negatively affected by certain whole foods, such as wheat and milk, actually get sick when they stop consuming them, as you would be when doing a Pulse Feast. This is related to withdrawal symptoms caused by how those foods affect opiate receptors in the brain. Takes about 3-4 days to get over it. In other words, I wonder if it’s caused by NOT consuming something rather than by consuming a supplement.

Hope that helps. I’d hate to go without my MAG-10!

In the end, it may be better for you to simply use Anaconda during weight training and Surge Workout Fuel for endurance type work or sports.

Another possibility is that it’s very common that where a person becomes ill at the same time as taking a food, and particularly if suspecting the food, that a strong aversion then follows.

The bad cough and nasal problems were I think certainly unrelated to the MAG-10. And so on that first instance of getting sick on first taking MAG-10, it was coincidence.

But having had the experience of becoming sick immediately (although coincidentally) on taking MAG-10 the first time, your body may well be trying to defend itself on an instinctual level. The body doesn’t know that that original illness was unrelated to the MAG-10.

This kind of thing has happened with other foods and there seems no reason why it couldn’t happen with MAG-10 also.

As the “psychology guy” I can’t believe it missed that one, Bill! Great input.

I knew a woman once who became immediately nauseous in the presence of cinnamon. She thought she was allergic. Turned out that as a kid she’d gotten motion sick riding in a car while eating Red Hots cinnamon candy, and she threw them up. That association with being sick and cinnamon never left her.

For the OP, perhaps a flavor change would help?

I havent gotten mag yet, but I feel quite sick in my stomach if I dont take fiber with protein shake. I usually get some sour rye bread with cucumber while downing my protein shake, and I feel alot better. I cannot however explain why…(and I usually dont eat bread)

Thanks for the responses Chris and Bill. I gave the MAG-10 another chance today. Unfortunately I had the same results.

Used one scoop in 16 oz water with the flavoring. Drank half of it, lifted for an hr, drank alittle more before the stomach started acting up again. With 90 minutes, I started sweating and was throwing it all up. It gives a sharp pain in the belly.

I must be one of the very few that can not take this stuff.

Anyone who lives in southern Rhode Island is welcome to swing by and take this stuff off my hands (for free). I have about a container and half. I will not ship it, unless Biotest will accept my return…

Mike.

I’m so sorry to hear this. This is exactly opposite of me; I WENT to consuming more MAG-10 due TO gastric issues with my old eating style.

Are you taking the “new” MAG-10 or the older version? The previous post regarding a possible intolerance to casein sounds like a possibility…or it could be the carbs in the new MAG-10 or even the sweetener in the intense flavoring. Whatever the case, this is a bummer man.

You able to consume whey isolate without any issues? That would be the next best thing I would think.

I’m actually kind of surprised to see others have this same issue. I’m going to assume that i have purchased around 4 bottles of MAG-10. Last year sometime (prior to the re-branding) i finished two bottles consecutively and F’in loved the product. As i remember it i switched back to M-drive for whatever reason and had a great time with that product as well; but i started to miss the MAG-10 (even if it didn’t smell the best or taste as good as the m-drive).

Somewhere around %50 of the 3rd bottle i got sick - ill, i mean OMG my body is trying to kill me sick. I thought to myself, perhaps i didn’t drink the MAG-10 fast enough, as in maybe it sat out for too long, or maybe i didn’t store it properly and it went bad. I though it out and went back to m-drive.

months later i started missing the MAG-10 and by this point it was rebranded and i thought to myself - why not. (i picked a different flavor to trick my brain if there was some kind of connection between the flavor and getting sick). excited i got my MAG-10 yesterday, and i made a shake right then, almost exactly 4 hours later i started to feel sick, and then i was … well i was throwing up in the neighborhood of 8 time an hour for about 1.5 to 2 hours.

today at work i find this forum post. if this helps any… prior to my first event months ago, i had always used a 2000ml nalgene bottle where i made my daily mix the night before. and the only two time that i got sick off of MAG-10 was when i made a single serving in a normal everyday blender ball shaker and drank it on the spot. maybe more liquid, and allowing it to set overnight might help - but it will be a few days before i try another experiment. I cant say that anything else has ever done this to me.

1 Like

TurtleMike, do you have any kind of fructose intolerance that you’re aware of? It’s rare, but people who suffer from that may experience what you experienced if they consume isomaltulose, which is an ingredient in MAG-10.

TC ,
I never had any food intolerances, can always eat anything. I just must one of those rare people that can not tolerate something in the MAG-10.

Disciple8959,
Your story is exactly what happened to me. Violent vomiting for an hr or so, even when my stomach was empty. As noted above, I tried the product several times with days in between with the same results.

On the positive side, I’m using Plazma without problems, so I’ve found a premium product that works for me.

Mike

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Another possibility is that it’s very common that where a person becomes ill at the same time as taking a food, and particularly if suspecting the food, that a strong aversion then follows.

The bad cough and nasal problems were I think certainly unrelated to the MAG-10. And so on that first instance of getting sick on first taking MAG-10, it was coincidence.

But having had the experience of becoming sick immediately (although coincidentally) on taking MAG-10 the first time, your body may well be trying to defend itself on an instinctual level. The body doesn’t know that that original illness was unrelated to the MAG-10.

This kind of thing has happened with other foods and there seems no reason why it couldn’t happen with MAG-10 also.[/quote]

This happened to me about 12 years ago when I ate peanut butter pie. I was just getting an upset stomach when I ate some and was sick for days throwing up. Every since, when I think of peanut butter pie, I get queasy.

Turtlemike39,
Since using MAG-10, I ALWAYS make sure I take it on an empty stomach. After working out and 2-3 hours between any kind of meal. I find no stomach problems and it fills me up, but not bloated like some other protein shakes can leave you. I also get the most benefit out of MAG-10 this way.

Several weeks ago I was sick with a bad head cold. I did not want to eat anything. I drank gallons of water to flush my system, and used MAG-10 because I knew I needed to put something in my body and it helped me to recover much faster. I also threw in some Superfood once a day. As stated in all the things that I read about this product, taking it on an empty stomach is the very best way to receive all of the benefits it has to offer.

The same thing happened to me when I would drink Plazma then MAG-10 PWO, specifically after an evening workout. …Though I never threw up, I was definitely on the brink of it the few times I drank both products. If I were to drink Plazma, then Surge Recovery, no issues. It was just when I followed Plazma with MAG-10.

Maybe the taste has something to do with it…I’ve found MAG-10 is least pleasant with the lemon and lime and orange flavoring. I find that berry and grape cover up the awful taste much better. …Also, drinking MAG-10 ice cold definitely helps as well. Just my .02

Recently I tried another attempt at the same lot of MAG-10 which made me sick about a week ago, you know, for science. This time I made my shake at %50 dose the night before and allowed it to sit in my fridge and chill.

3 mile morning run; 20 min after i drank the whole 500 ml. Then i continued to drink water, about another 500 ml.

Same scenario started to play out - just to a lesser degree. No vomit (barely), GI issues (as expected), flushed, and a metal fog which lasted for hours. I also felt flush for the better part or 1.5 hours, but i associate that with fighting the urge to vomit.

I’m starting to suspect a minor casein intolerance which was magnified due to it’s concentration in the MAG-10, or as previously mentioned perhaps a fructose intolerance (which i will start to research).