T Nation

Sick One Too Many Times

I’m currently on a low carb diet (20g) on my meals 1,3 and 5. And I noticed i get sick about every 2 months and I get REALLY sick… any ideas? Do you guys think that a low carb diet could contribute to getting sick??

Learn to wash your hands and don’t touch your food and stuff until you do.

That’s a helpful tip. -____-

you’re not on a low carb diet anyway - 20g A DAY, not per 3/5 meals

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
you’re not on a low carb diet anyway - 20g A DAY, not per 3/5 meals[/quote]

Plus you’re best to get any carbs you do have on a low carb diet around your workout. But back to your question, I did low carb a while back, worked well and I found I was feeling better and healthier than ever (probably) due to the amount of vegetables I was eating to fill myself up, so i’d probably say the diet isn’t the problem. Taking a high dose of vitamin C (about 1000mg from a supplement) a day could possibly help. I personally find I feel better when supplementing with vit C (probably a psychological effect lol). One last thing, if you’re getting really ill often it might be worth seeing a doctor.

Yeah, okay. Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it.

Eat healthy (fruits and veggies), which you’re probably doing with low carb. Sleep adequately. Drink lots of juice and water. Stay warm. Repeat.

By far the best thing you can do is supplement with vitamin D.

Vitamin D is huge for immune health. You need a minimum of 5000IU/day.

Take care of that, you’ll pretty much never get sick and you’ll see your gains skyrocket… Vitamin D has a ton of benefits

I agree completely about the Vit C and Vit D comments. I also used to get sick frequently. I changed two things that caused all that to go away -

1. I started doing delaod weeks in my training, to give myself a break. I used to just deload when I got sick, now I do the delaod before I get sick.
  2. I changed jobs. My old job was great and I loved it, but it had some periodic “firedrill” stress-bomb weeks that used to fray the nerves when they happened. I needed to either chill-the-f#$%-out, or change jobs. I tried to chill first, but my personality is better suited to a different environment, so I changed it.

If you have stuff in your life that is really pushing your HPA-axis into overdrive, you will be sick all the time no matter how you supplement.

[quote]hungryone wrote:
By far the best thing you can do is supplement with vitamin D.

Vitamin D is huge for immune health. You need a minimum of 5000IU/day.

Take care of that, you’ll pretty much never get sick and you’ll see your gains skyrocket… Vitamin D has a ton of benefits[/quote]

I agree. I stay under 200 grams a day usually,sometimes lower all the time,never get sick. I don’t think carb intake has anything to do with immunity.

Just to beat the dead horse some more, VItamin D along with proper Selenium/Zinc supplementation will go a long way in prevention.

Yeah i’ll add I do also supplement vitamin D, about 2500 iu a day from a vit D supplement and apparrently an extra 2000 ish from my fish oil.

Vit D3 + C have been incredible in preventing me from getting sick (a cold).

[quote]orcrist wrote:
I agree completely about the Vit C and Vit D comments. I also used to get sick frequently. I changed two things that caused all that to go away -

1. I started doing delaod weeks in my training, to give myself a break. I used to just deload when I got sick, now I do the delaod before I get sick.
  2. I changed jobs. My old job was great and I loved it, but it had some periodic “firedrill” stress-bomb weeks that used to fray the nerves when they happened. I needed to either chill-the-f#$%-out, or change jobs. I tried to chill first, but my personality is better suited to a different environment, so I changed it.

Interesting feedback. I don’t really get to do any deload weeks cause im currently a college student playing football. I have class from 8 am to 1 pm. and then practice from 2-6 everyday. Unfortunately for me I don’t get the opportunity to “deload” until the summer. I’m going to start adding in zinc and vitamin d and c like you guys said. What’s even weirder is that I recently purchased an awesome juicer and I take the healthiest vegetables around and juice them. (terrible to taste) But very healthy. An example drink would be something like Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Collard Greens, Celery and some cucumber.

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:

[quote]orcrist wrote:

2. I changed jobs. My old job was great and I loved it, but it had some periodic “firedrill” stress-bomb weeks that used to fray the nerves when they happened. I needed to either chill-the-f#$%-out, or change jobs. I tried to chill first, but my personality is better suited to a different environment, so I changed it. [/quote]

Interesting feedback. I don’t really get to do any deload weeks cause im currently a college student playing football. I have class from 8 am to 1 pm. and then practice from 2-6 everyday. Unfortunately for me I don’t get the opportunity to “deload” until the summer. I’m going to start adding in zinc and vitamin d and c like you guys said. What’s even weirder is that I recently purchased an awesome juicer and I take the healthiest vegetables around and juice them. (terrible to taste) But very healthy. An example drink would be something like Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Collard Greens, Celery and some cucumber.
[/quote]

It’s alright to add apples, pears, or something that tastes good in there to balance out the greens. Maybe some carrots. It’ll taste better and those are good for ya too.