Sick of People Calling Me Skinny

Yeah I do get pretty tired, I will try rest between sets from now on… But resting gets pretty boring you know what to do for those 30seconds.

Thank you all for the critique, I do squats quite often, I do a variation of deadlift I’m not sure what it’s called but the normal deadlift tends to hurt me a fair bit in my lower back.

Also Otep man :stuck_out_tongue: You can never say to a Bruce Lee fan that he was weak, it’s like blasphemy, he could hold a 145lb barbell out infront of him in a locked arm position for like 7 seconds…
That’s pretty insane… But I know what you mean he wasn’t a power lifter, I realised recently just how many gymnastic exercises Bruce did, V sit, planches etc.
We all know how strong some gymnasts can get.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
But resting gets pretty boring you know what to do for those 30seconds.[/quote]

i assume you meant “you don’t know what to do”. point is that you need to lift enough weight to NEED the rest between sets.

[quote]
Thank you all for the critique, I do squats quite often, I do a variation of deadlift I’m not sure what it’s called but the normal deadlift tends to hurt me a fair bit in my lower back.[/quote]

you’re probably doing it wrong then. watch some videos or read up on correct technique.

Yeah I do get pretty tired, I will try rest between sets from now on… But resting gets pretty boring you know what to do for those 30seconds.
[/quote]

Yeah, I feel you… I found that it helps to do the following, when on a program that requires longer rest periods than 30 seconds (and this is most programmes for strength):

Pick exercise A

Pick exercise B

eg, I might pick rows and military presses. One is horizontal/pull, the other is vertical/push, so that’s balanced. Plus, I use fairly similar weights for them so it’s not a big issue to take off/put on weights. So, I just alternate the exercises to save time and keep myself busy, while the muscles used in each get 3-5 minutes of rest. Not supersets, as I still rest between every set,but a very cool way to save time; and, unlike supersets, you can actually utilise the precise weight you need for each exercise.

Thank you all for the critique, I do squats quite often, I do a variation of deadlift I’m not sure what it’s called but the normal deadlift tends to hurt me a fair bit in my lower back.

Also Otep man :stuck_out_tongue: You can never say to a Bruce Lee fan that he was weak, it’s like blasphemy, he could hold a 145lb barbell out infront of him in a locked arm position for like 7 seconds…
That’s pretty insane… But I know what you mean he wasn’t a power lifter, I realised recently just how many gymnastic exercises Bruce did, V sit, planches etc.
We all know how strong some gymnasts can get.[/quote]

Bruce Lee was very strong; for his weight. You have to consider two things:

1. After a certain point, in weightlifting, the law of diminishing returns kicks in. So, it becomes progressively harder to increase your mass/weight lifted ratio. Let’s say I maintain a weight of 80 kg. It would be very reasonable for me to eventually bench 160 kg - double my weight. However, for a 140kg powerlifter, to benchpress 280kg would be a significantly more difficult achievement. See what I mean?

2. In gymnastics, relative strength is important, as opposed to absolute weight; the main weight you’re working with is that of your own body. This is true for many competitive sports. This is also true for martial arts, where your speed and endurance are negatively affected by more mass. So, while Bruce Lee was very strong for his size - his size allowed him to have a good size/strength ratio - he could also be well-conditioned and quick to boot.

However, Bruce was not particularly strong in absolute terms. A fighter from a heavier division, or someone who didn’t mind trading size for speed/conditioning, would easily trump him in strength. So, you have to decide for yourself; will you fight seriously, or otherwise participate in a sport that limits your maximum size or mass? If not, you can be bigger and more muscled than Bruce Lee without much effort. Doesn’t mean you have to be a bulky powerlifter! Just please consider that as you age, it’ll be progressively harder to keep/gain muscle. So, if you gain a lot now, you’ll have enough to spare when you grow up, and will always have the option of slimming down to Bruce Lee size:)

Hope that was helpful.

ya, I didn’t know I was consuming over 3000 calories and close to 300 grams of protein each day until I layed out an excel spreadsheet and tallied everything up. I suggest doing the same for your diet, see what could use another plate full.

as for your workout, you don’t need to nearly pass out, but if you are, you’re more than likely pushing yourself correctly. I’ve seen some people dead at the end of a workout who just flat out don’t lift right, and I know some people who are sweating but not dead at the end of a workout who gain considerably well. if you want real help, try posting in the “rate my physique” forum.

Yeah I do get pretty tired, I will try rest between sets from now on… But resting gets pretty boring you know what to do for those 30seconds.[/quote]

Sit there and focus on your next set. Focus on maintaining perfect form, etc. Also, if you’re loading properly, the last rep of each set will be the last rep you can do, or close to it, and then you’ll have to rest if you want to hit all your reps on the next set. A month or two of strength work, like Rippietoe’s or any 5x5 program should give you a good feel of what it’s like to need to take a rest.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
BruceLeeFan wrote:

Sit there and focus on your next set. Focus on maintaining perfect form, etc. Also, if you’re loading properly, the last rep of each set will be the last rep you can do, or close to it, and then you’ll have to rest if you want to hit all your reps on the next set.

A month or two of strength work, like Rippietoe’s or any 5x5 program should give you a good feel of what it’s like to need to take a rest.[/quote]

To add to this, use your rest time to visualize kicking ass at your next set. I remember reading a poloquin article where he’d have his athletes visualize every set and rep of a workout before going and doing it (while they lay on small dowels to create a lumbar arc). Then they went and kicked ass.

I think the point isn’t to unnecessarily rest, but instead, to use weights heavy enough that resting is necessary, and THEN rest.

Thanks all.
I’m going to make sure I need to rest between sets from now on and if I don’t feel like I need to rest I will increase the weight I’m using - is that a good rule of thumb?

Thanks all.
I’m going to make sure I need to rest between sets from now on and if I don’t feel like I need to rest I will increase the weight I’m using - is that a good rule of thumb?
[/quote]
Eventually, you will be able to go heavy enough that you will need and enjoy every second of your rest periods.

I just checked my weight height etc… I’m not very happy to be honest …
Height: 5’6.8"
Weight: 9st 2lb (128lbs)
Body Fat %: 18% (checked it on one of the electrical testing devices don’t know how accurate it was)

It’s all worse than I thought… Can someone please help me here? Shit like this makes me want to quit but it also makes me want to kick my own ass.
I want to get to like 152lbs and about 12% bodyfat.

The electrical impedence method is bad, and often gives inaccurate readings.

Because you’re short, you can look bigger without weighing as much as taller guys. 150lbs at 10%~ish is probably a good goal to shoot for, and to do that, you’ll probably need to get up to 170 and then diet down.

I saw a post in the RMP forum of a pretty ripped dude at 5’4" and 140, so 5’6" and 150 seems about right to me (to address people who’ll tell you your worthless until you’re over 200 lbs).

What everyone’s telling you- Get to the gym, lift heavy, and eat big- is probably exactly what you should do to acheive your physique goals.

Man I don’t know why you think you need special advice. Everyone has given you the advice you need and you seem to have mostly ignored it. This site is full of advice. Lift weights and eat properly and stop saying things like “well bruce lee did this this and this” when people give you advice. You’re manifestly a novice and shouldn’t be giving more experienced lifters shit. Take the advice. It’s free.

ya I really don’t trust those electrical testing devices, or the method of pinching fat on your hips, calves, and arms. (can’t remember the name of the test) the first said that I’m around 6%, and the second is just too easy to screw up. I’ve gotten numbers between 10% and 18% with that test.

on a side note, but one that can help this guy out, does anyone know the best way to calculate fat?

and tube, he is thanking us for the advice, and says that he’ll start using it. but let’s wait and see if he actually uses it, then start judging whether or not he’s being ignorant. personally, I think he’ll do it, if he’s as far behind his friends as I was in strength and has a similar mentality.

I keep reading in T-Nation articles how if you’re going for 5, use your 6RM (85% of 1RM), especially if you’re doing the 5x5 program. just so you know.

I just checked my weight height etc… I’m not very happy to be honest …
Height: 5’6.8"
Weight: 9st 2lb (128lbs)
Body Fat %: 18% (checked it on one of the electrical testing devices don’t know how accurate it was)

It’s all worse than I thought… Can someone please help me here? Shit like this makes me want to quit but it also makes me want to kick my own ass.
I want to get to like 152lbs and about 12% bodyfat.[/quote]

Heres the thing man. You need to strip away all of the conditions and preconcieved notions that you have developed.

They aren’t helping.

Drop the Bruce Lee stuff. Kung Fu was cool in the '70’s. The only person that ever had any success training like Bruce Lee was Bruce Lee.

Drop the “I don’t want to get too big” stuff.

Forget Pound for Pound. Worst rationalization ever, time tested and proven to keep people small.

Forget what you think you know about getting bigger and stronger. Educate yourself on real principals of strength and conditioning, and put them to work in the gym.

You have allready found out what it takes to fail, now you need to find out what it takes to succede.

Most importantly- Forget trying to prove something to others. Prove it to yourself.

I don"t know if you have seen this, but check it out. 5’7" 130 lb to 178.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1510461

Study this thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1027723

PS scar is a sexy beast

Thanks for the thread links!

[quote]4est wrote:
Study this thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1027723
[/quote]

You’ve got that one bookmarked, don’t you? :wink:

I’m going to improve my diet, I’m aiming at around 2800 calories a day - weight goal 150-160lbs.

About that ^ if I’m still not lifting heavy enough will all the extra calories just turn to fat? I only have 70kg or so of weights… No benches, squat racks, no gym anywhere near here…

I have 2 dumbbells, a barbell, and a pull up/chin up bar…

Obviously I wont get optimal results out of the lack of equipment but if I will gain more fat then muscle than I would see it being worth me waiting a while longer until I have better equipment.

[quote]Eppert wrote:
On a side note, but one that can help this guy out, does anyone know the best way to calculate fat?
[/quote]

Best way to calculate body fat % is the fat calipers (the pinching things), but yeah you’re right it isn’t easy to do it accurately

And just to try to avoid stealing this guy’s thread too much, I’ll agree with the others and say eat, eat, eat. A good way I’ve personally found to gain weight if you’re having troubles is eat a meal, high in protein, right before bed.

Your body does a lot of its work while you’re sleeping anyway, give it some fuel. Don’t worry too much about gaining a little fat while you gain muscle, with your genetics it seems like it wouldn’t be too hard for you to lose the fat later, just worry about gaining some muscle for the time being.

Edit: And also I know the one guy said post on the rate my physique forum to get better advice… but I don’t know if I’d suggest that. You will probably get some good advice, but you’ll also get torn apart. So if you think you can take the criticism, go for it, but you’re going to get flamed a bit.