Sick of People Calling Me Skinny

I’m seriously annoyed that people keep calling me skinny, I’m 5’6 and a bit, around 140lbs for my height thats pretty balanced I’d say, I don’t want to get big I just want people to notice I have a good amount of muscle which I think I do.

I bought some whey protein yesterday to add some extra protein in during the day and for post workout.

This is my diet.

Breakfast: Oatmeal / Bacon + egg
Lunch:Beans on toast with cheese / Tuna + pasta / Subway if I’m out with my friends
Dinner: Chicken stir fry / occasionally beef or steak with potato and vegetables / Some sort of rice dish with vegetables and beef or chicken or a egg and cheese salad.
Snacks: Snacks typically involve fruit - banana, apple etc.
Post-workout: Whey protein + milk.

My workout is pretty effective, I finish it in about twenty mins typically with 3 - 4 sets of weight exercise I’ll superset a couple of them and the others I do normally but I don’t have rest between sets or exercises.

I run 3 times a week, weights 4 times a week.

Is this a recipe for a skinny guy?

Cheers.

u bet ya…

Breakfast: Oatmeal / Bacon + egg under 1000Kj
Lunch:Beans on toast with cheese / Tuna + pasta / Subway if I’m out with my friends Under 2000kj
Dinner: Chicken stir fry / occasionally beef or steak with potato and vegetables / Some sort of rice dish with vegetables and beef or chicken or a egg and cheese salad. under 2000kj
Snacks: Snacks typically involve fruit - banana, apple etc. 500kj
Post-workout: Whey protein + milk. 1000kj max

Daily total is definately under 6500KJ, which is around 1500 - 1600 Kcal…

Hey… that’s wat my girlfriend eats! lol

Im pretty sure most ppl on Testosterone hav at least 2500Kcal daily, and more advance bodybuilders can be losing fat on 4000 Kcal daily… so is ur diet for a skinny guy?

U bet ya!

I’m seriously annoyed that people keep calling me skinny

Learn some BJJ and triangle the bastards… while screaming “HOW DO YOU LIKE THOSE APPLES”

Haha BJJ sounds good :stuck_out_tongue: .

I’ll try eat more yuhui, I had no idea I was eating 1500-1600 I thought at least 2000, anyway cheers!

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
My workout is pretty effective, I finish it in about twenty mins typically with 3 - 4 sets of weight exercise I’ll superset a couple of them and the others I do normally but I don’t have rest between sets or exercises.[/quote]

No offense, but how’d you come to the conclusion that your workout is pretty effective?

If you’re skinny, (a) your workout is not effective and/or (b) your nutrition is not effective. In your case, it looks like both.

I’d do a couple things if I were you: (1) I’d focus on training and not working out, and (2) I’d increase my food intake. Nothing fancy.

Read some articles by Christian Thibaudeau to get some basics as to how to set up a training program, buy more food, and you’re in business, sir.

Goodluck.

I’m seriously annoyed that people keep calling me skinny, I’m 5’6 and a bit, around 140lbs for my height thats pretty balanced I’d say, I don’t want to get big I just want people to notice I have a good amount of muscle which I think I do.
[/quote]

LOL!

While 140lbs @ 5’6 isn’t the skinniest we’ve seen around here lately, it sure isn’t gonna make you stand out - at all. You say you don’t want to get big, but you want people to notice you have a good amount of muscle?!

How do you expect to have a good amount of muscle without getting big(ger)? 170lbs on a 5’6 frame at a low bodyfat would probably look pretty good on someone llike you, but and you won’t be “big”.

I’m not going to analyze your diet, it’s obvious you simply are not eating enough.

[quote]
My workout is pretty effective, I finish it in about twenty mins typically with 3 - 4 sets of weight exercise I’ll superset a couple of them and the others I do normally but I don’t have rest between sets or exercises.

I run 3 times a week, weights 4 times a week.

Is this a recipe for a skinny guy?

Cheers.[/quote]

I don’t see how a workout can be effective if you finish it in under 20 minutes - seriously. If you are not resting between set or supersets, you are not using anywhere near enough intensity and pretty much spinning your wheels.

Coupled with your running and child’s diet, you have no chance of adding any size unless you change something.

Cheers.[/quote]

just noticed this… if u dont need to rest during set, that means u arent going hard enough each set. What weights are you using and for how many reps?

yuhui: It’s not so much I don’t need to rest I choose not to, I do 10reps for about 5 sets, I use dumbbells mainly only at 10kg now on curls etc, slightly more on different lifts only about 25kg on my barbell I have about 70kg of weights.

rsg/ovalpine: I deducted that it’s an effective workout because I’ve doubled my lifts in a short amount of time and I have gone from about 13stone 182lbs - my current weight in less than 10months I had no muscle before I started.

I agree a good weight for me would be around 170lbs.
I will make amendments to my diet, and I just got a job so I can buy new weights.
I’m a dedicated guy but I’m going to make mistakes it’s no biggie I’m not in a rush.

Thanks for the tips, hints and advice.

You need to eat a shit-ton more. and if your goal for the moment is solely to gain weight, drop the running. Cardio burns calories you could use to get bigger. If you have something you have to stay in good aerobic fitness for, add another 300-500 calories minimum to account for calories burned. I’ve been eating 3000 calories a day and i still am gaining weight slowly. yesterday i had 4000. Keep a food log, along with around how many calories you think you’re eating. chances are, it’s not even close to how much you thought it was.

I started at 140lbs at 5’10’', so i was prolly even more skinny than you. almost 7 months later I’m up to 160 with no noticable gains in bodyfat %. You just gotta work, make smart choices, etc. bad sugars from soda and whatnot make you feel full, at least they do for me, as a result, i quit drinking soda 4 months ago, to leave more room for real food. It’s a struggle, but if you can keep your mental game straight, and up the eating, i’m sure you’ll make good progress.

Haha BJJ sounds good :stuck_out_tongue: .

I’ll try eat more yuhui, I had no idea I was eating 1500-1600 I thought at least 2000, anyway cheers![/quote]

Time to start keeping a nutrition log. Set daily goals for yourself for total caloric intake, as well as goals for grams of carbs, protein, and fats. I personally am also interested in my fiber intake, but that’s less important right now, probably.

Just tabulate everything on an excel spreadsheet… the first step is KNOWING what you are putting into your body.

(and, start eating every 2-3 hours so that you can have some control over what you are doing to your body… if you just eat a few meals a day, a lot of the time, what your body is doing is beyond our control. you wanna be the boss, eh?)

dan

Your workout is probably on par with my dog’s

he sleeps all day…

My workout usually makes it so I HAVE to rest or I’ll faint, because I’m pushing my body so much…

Thanks for the advice blaze and liar.

Hanger: Maybe your not breathing properly :wink:

Cut out the running, buy “Starting Strength” and “Power Eating” and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the advice blaze and liar.

Hanger: Maybe your not breathing properly ;)[/quote]
Lol. If you’re not needing rest, your workout sucks. Or you suck at doing it.

I suggest more weight, if your arms/legs arent burning… you’re doing it wrong. I can tell by the way you talk you think you’re in pretty good shape and what not…

you are skinny, and from what it seems like, possibly a little weaker than you think.

I would listen to the guys telling you to read starting strength, eat more etc.

Then you can move on to harder things, that will challenge your mind and body. Obviously your workouts now are doing neither.

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:

I suggest more weight, if your arms/legs arent burning… you’re doing it wrong. I can tell by the way you talk you think you’re in pretty good shape and what not…

you are skinny, and from what it seems like, possibly a little weaker than you think.

Then you can move on to harder things, that will challenge your mind and body. Obviously your workouts now are doing neither.[/quote]
So, you think Jack LaLanne and Bruce Lee suck/sucked?
Those guys took very little or no rest between sets…
And they are known to be some of the strongest guys for their damn weight class in their day.

HangerBaby wrote:

Then you can move on to harder things, that will challenge your mind and body. Obviously your workouts now are doing neither.
And they are known to be some of the strongest guys for their damn weight class in their day.

[/quote]
You obviously don’t have their genetics, judging by your weight and your lack of needing rest.

I think most people on this forum, who aren’t on meth, would agree that rest is necessary and important, especially when working your ass off.

HangerBaby wrote:

[/quote]

They also probably trained hard everyday from the age of 12 to their peaks in their 30’s. If you want to keep training the way you do for the next 18 years, go ahead. You’ll be strong as hell and look pretty good.

Or you could do it our way and get the body you want in 6 months.

[/quote]

I am not familiar with Jack LaLanne.

It is my opinion that bruce lee was a highly developed martial artist, had incredible hand speed, and was not very strong.

Note- ‘not very strong’ is a lifting comparison. He’d totally kick my ass in any kind of a fight, probably even if I cheated.

And he was small. If you wanna be like him, quit complaining about people calling you small.

yuhui: It’s not so much I don’t need to rest I choose not to, I do 10reps for about 5 sets, I use dumbbells mainly only at 10kg now on curls etc, slightly more on different lifts only about 25kg on my barbell I have about 70kg of weights.
[/quote]

Edit: wanted to add that I, too, was a beginner not so long ago. I know it can be hard to listen to criticism, but it really is the best way to improve, so take one for the team and keep it moving.

Forget curls.

Squats and milk.

When I was starting out, I cleaned to front squats and did those; deadlifted; etc etc etc. Basically, here’s what you should be doing:

Barbell rows
Deadlifts
Squats
Pull-ups/Chin-ups
Military Presses
Bench Presses/Dips

This is an excellent beginner set of exercises.

I would also have to concur with everyone who said that no need to rest = you’re not working hard enough. Very straightforward, really. Either you’re not working hard enough, or you get tired very quickly, which is, perhaps, why your workouts are 20 min’s long.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Basically, here’s what you should be doing:

Barbell rows
Deadlifts
Squats
Pull-ups/Chin-ups
Military Presses
Bench Presses/Dips

This is an excellent beginner set of exercises.

[/quote]

THIS

and the milk… :slight_smile: