T Nation

Sick of 5x5 Strong Lifts!

not sure if i shouldve put this in body building, or combat sports or what…but strength is what im after so here it goes.

stats: 5"3 124 8% body fat tested yesterday with a handheld scan thing …not sure how accurate.

diet is in check, 2000 cals a day.

i train BJJ, wrestling, Muay thai boxing.

im taking every advantage of the testesterone levels i have when im young (14) while it lasts so i lift on off days and after practices if i can still move.

problem is, ive been doing 5x5 strong lifts…my whole life. like, the past 3 years. its worked great. my muscle endurance is great, i can also over power everyone my size and some bigger.

im so sick of strong lifts though…can someone reccamend a new routine for me? im after even better grappling strength and muscle endurance.

thanks guys!

Hey man,

This book has some good information that would benefit you. It is also a quick and easy read.

what about doggcrapp training…would that be a good thing for me to try?

you should do madcow 5X5

isnt…that…what…ive been doing…5x5…

Dogg crap involves too much recovery…
Its really for advanced bodybuilders,
who are already big and can dedicate the recovery time it needs.

If your training for wrestling grappling etc.
that is your focus and strength should be second or third technique conditioning , strength.

there is a ton of info in the combat forum, about what people are doing.

Personally, what we did in college was
more of a tbt 3 day a week 1 hour session

it involved front squat o lifts pull ups, rows,rows rows snatch grip deads .plenty of single leg work
the bigger guys did more deads and squats.
nary a bench to be seen.

kmc
box jumps and plenty of grip work.

[quote]tplet wrote:
what about doggcrapp training…would that be a good thing for me to try?[/quote]

no.

You have been doing stronglifts 5x5 for over 3 years? That’s pretty amazing considering it’s less than 2 years old ;). Even the site is less than 3 years old :slight_smile:

For “muscle endurance”, you probably mean GPP (General Physical Preparedness), along with strength. I think “Compound EDT” by Charles Staley would be pretty good for you; or this one http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/staying_power : the author gives a couple of routines for fighters.

[quote]hydrochlorid wrote:
You have been doing stronglifts 5x5 for over 3 years? That’s pretty amazing considering it’s less than 2 years old ;). Even the site is less than 3 years old :slight_smile: [/quote]

since i started its always just been 5x5 for me because its easy to remember…back then i didnt know it was an actual program.

[quote]fabiop wrote:
For “muscle endurance”, you probably mean GPP (General Physical Preparedness), along with strength. I think “Compound EDT” by Charles Staley would be pretty good for you; or this one http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/staying_power : the author gives a couple of routines for fighters.[/quote]

perfect. thank you a ton

checkout zach even-esh’s stuff, great stuff.

and specifically for wrestlers.

where can i find it?

You can try Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 or Smolov. I do 5x5 too, and for the same reason.

[quote]tplet wrote:
where can i find it?[/quote]

Do something off your own back, try a simple search on google for zach even-esh. Which should come up with www.zacheven-esh.com

Thank god for them search engines ay

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
tplet wrote:
where can i find it?

Do something off your own back, try a simple search on google for zach even-esh. Which should come up with www.zacheven-esh.com

Thank god for them search engines ay[/quote]

LMAO