T Nation

Sick After AM Workout

About a month ago i switched to working out about 1 hour after i wake up. About 45 minutes before i hit the gym in throw back a mix of protein powder and oat flour (totals 65g protein, 100g carbs and 11g fat). I feel fine on this mix on all but Legs day! I’ll normally start to feel really sick about 3/4 of the way through the workout, then by the time i hit the high reps squats at the end i’ve normally been sick!

I’ve tried various things like halving the oats i have and adding some Vitargo to bring the carbs up (i want the bulk of my carbs to be in pre, post and meal 1 of the day). This worked quite well but still felt like i was going to puke. Tried just Vitargo and protein. That was ok as far as feeling sick went but felt really dizzy and then threw up with no warning when walking to the car. Guess i had a peak then a sudden crash.

Does anyone else work out first thing and have any tips? I’m thinking of just having a small serving of oats and protein next week, then adding something sugary like fruit juice/coconut water while i work out. Anyone else do something like this?

try and give yourself more digestion time…i had a similar problem when i tried to train at 6 am last week.

that must be around 125g of oat flour & like 40-50g of protein, is that correct? if thats the case, id wait at least 2 hrs before any straining physical activity because youre bound to end up with stomache problems.

if youre going to eat 1hr before you workout i wouldnt advise more than 20-25g of carbs without any fats/protein on an empty stomache.

Hmm not really an option. I only get 5-6 hours a night at best so losing sleep would probably be more of a hindrance than the vomiting!

[quote]Kooopa wrote:
that must be around 125g of oat flour & like 40-50g of protein, is that correct? if thats the case, id wait at least 2 hrs before any straining physical activity because youre bound to end up with stomache problems.

if youre going to eat 1hr before you workout i wouldnt advise more than 20-25g of carbs without any fats/protein on an empty stomache.[/quote]

Yeah two cups so probably about 120g. Its not ideal i know. Should i lower it to about 60-80g? 40-50g of carbs?

when i workout 1st thing in the morning all i eat is 1 banana (1hr pre) and i obviously drink some water. as i said, i cant see more than probably 30g carbs tops being out of the stomache in 1hr. id spare myself protein & fats completely either way because theres no reason to get those in pre-workout.

just go try and error on this, your feeling of sickness comes from that rather large pre-workout meal 1hr before training in any case. go with 20g of carbs, see what happens and then adjust if necessary :slight_smile:

//oh also, im sure youve considered/done this already but just in case it hasnt crossed your mind, try working out fasted :smiley:

I tried working out fasted (just had BCAAs) and almost fell asleep on the leg press. I’ll give it a go and lower the amount of oats i have pre-workout, and add extra carbs to post and meal 1.

What about having something sugary during the workout? I know some people do this but never tried it myself. This any good for getting a little boost? Or will it just add to the dizzy, fatigued, sicky feeling?

i tried bcaas & dextrose during workouts for some time. i never saw any benefit coming from that whatsoever. i just stick to regular nutrition now anyways, nothing fancy. works imo just as good as with all the supplement crap.

obviously it comes down to personal preference but what you drink during the workout will not be digested till after the workout anyways so its pretty pointless. you know what the problem is now so just try to adjust pre-workout mealsize and see what happens. thats pretty much all there is to it :wink:

I find that a smoothie works great for this thing - throw in couple scoops of whey, couple bananas, whatever liquid you like, BCAAs, could even add oats if you want, maybe PB, and pound that the second you wake up. Make it the night before so you get a full 1 hour to digest before you train.

I do a similar protein carb mix in morning b4 I train upperbody but on leg day i have 1.5 scoops of protein/mixed with 1 cup of greek yogart. Its less heavy on the gut and i have tons of energy w/out the sick feeling when training legs. Give it a shot