Shut Up 'n Lift! (Log)

god bless the big ass freakin hoagie

Now that’s dedication. I am inspired, I will now succeed with my holiday program.

Thanks folks!

I actually like eating while travelling for a few reasons:

1. I generally don’t have to pay for it (HA!)
  2. I tend to be much pickier when I can, so I know I’m going to (usually) get exactly what I want
  3. There’s no junk food in the fridge or the cabinet in the next room, so I’m almost forced to plan meals/snacks, plus it usually gets my eating habits back in line if I’ve fallen off the wagon.

Props for good workouts on the road…

I am not so lucky- when I travel-which seems to be allot I have a longer work day then most
and that day is usualy of the physical variety.

I am usually on a shoot, for a movie or a television project so unless I am very lucky
it hard to work out on the road.
Food I can make happen.

cool stuff, thanks

kmc

Glad your work and travel are coming together to help your diet instead of derail it.

steely - u mention u started out with madcow 5x5, curious as to the results u acheived and why u changed routines

Would highly recommend madcow 5x5 for strength. I’ve done it 3 times with great results each time.

You.Must.Eat.For.It to work… Definitely have to eat. I added a little size, but more importantly, I really went up in squat, dead, and bench.

Now, having said that, I was in the middle of my 3rd cycle (Intermediate) when I hurt my back doing squats.

I don’t blame that on the program at all. I don’t know that I’ll do it again anytime soon because squatting once per week is enough for me right now-- no way 2-3 times per week. Also, as noted in previous posts, the BO BB Rows are uncomfortable.

If you’re interested in pushing yourself and your numbers-- GO FOR IT!

For those who don’t browse the Supp & Nutrition forum, I have a running ‘recipe’ thread.

Just posted pics for stuffed peppers. I love the colors in the pics:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/la_cucina_anabolica_italiana?id=2144267&pageNo=7

Recipe starts about halfway down

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Would highly recommend madcow 5x5 for strength. I’ve done it 3 times with great results each time.

You.Must.Eat.For.It to work… Definitely have to eat. I added a little size, but more importantly, I really went up in squat, dead, and bench.

Now, having said that, I was in the middle of my 3rd cycle (Intermediate) when I hurt my back doing squats.

I don’t blame that on the program at all. I don’t know that I’ll do it again anytime soon because squatting once per week is enough for me right now-- no way 2-3 times per week. Also, as noted in previous posts, the BO BB Rows are uncomfortable.

If you’re interested in pushing yourself and your numbers-- GO FOR IT![/quote]

Hey SteelyD,

I just finished the first week of an 8-week Madcow Intermediate 5X5 and I am curious about your statement concerning nutrition. I am slowly cutting at the moment and trying to be smart with my nutritient timing so that my energy level is high for the workout sessions…

Based on your experience, do you think I stand a chance of gaining some strength? I am looking for a modest 75lbs TOTAL across the 3 big lifts. Thanks!

Well, I’m obviously not a pro or an expert, but I’d say that a caloric deficit and Madcow might be a great way to lose weight or hurt yourself, but not a great recipe for any significant or long term gains-- that depends on you. If you’re looking for 25# on each lift, then why not eat for the goal, then diet?

Anything is possible, I suppose.

I kind of have to agree with Steely on this one. I’ve tried the gaining strength without gaining weight and while I did manage to make some lifts go up I spent a good amount of time training around nagging injuries. 10 lbs can give you the lifts you want and would be fairly easy to diet off while maintaining strength plus reducing the risk of injury.

Thanks guys. I understand how difficult it is to gain strength without gaining weight that was why I designed my Madcow to push my 5RM only for 3 weeks. And I will certainly back off if need be.

Quiet honestly, I will be very happy if I get under 180lbs(7 pounds to go) and still maintain what I have now. I just expect some gains in my squat since I am a beginner in that lift and expect to get more efficient at it with time, and I have good reasons to expect a slight increase in my bench as well.

My calories are not super low for my almost sedentary activity level…at least 2000 cals and slightly higher on workout days, from quality foods.

How did the A.R.T. session go?

Hey AV! Yeah, sorry, I’m about a week behind on my log… nothing exciting EXCEPT A 365 PR SQUAT!! (but, I digress…)

So, ART-- went well!

This is my guy (gratuitous plug for Dr. Raymond):
http://www.raymondchiropractic.com/

I went down there and explained that my shoulder has been bothering me and that I stopped benching because I didn’t want to really hurt myself. I explained that I didn’t think I was injured, but I wanted to get it checked out and to see if ART would bring it along.

He did the normal chiropractic tests for weaknesses and on his own found the tender spots in my shoulder. Seems that my pec minor insertion and teres minor insertion (or that area) are tender-- could be a bunch of things, non of which he thought was major. Tightness, inflamation, etc, but not major tears or anything. He did a bunch of resistance tests in different motions and stretches-- he has thumbs made of freakin’ titanium that he got way in there-- think rolling on a golf ball.

I could feel stuff moving in there. Like one stretch, he had me sitting, dug his hand into my shoulder and had me move the ROM from hand/arm out to the right, thumb up, then across my front rotating to thumb down in front-- think cable flye motion but rotating hand across movement. He said “You’ll hear some noise with this one”. Sure enought popping, cracking, etc. I really felt that and he explained the gas being released, plus the idea is to breakup scar tissue etc. Painful (good pain) but effective.

He was happy to hear that I roll on a tennis ball, which he ‘prescribed’ anyway.

Interestingly, he found a weakness in my right hip flexor which he’s going to address with ART next visit.

My shoulder hurt the rest of the day and was sore the next, but by Saturday and Sunday, I felt really good and it hasn’t been as achy, but I still kind of feel it.

He actually approves of deadlifting and variations which is not something you hear chiros pushing too much. He’s sports/stregnth oriented, though. In fact, the first book on the shelf you see when you walk in his office is “Pavel: Naked Warrior” – LOL!

wtg on the pr - sounds like u found a good therapist

he has thumbs made of freakin’ titanium that he got way in there that is one sign of a good ART guy.

Myself, I’ve used ART certification as a way to find a better quality of chiro even when ART wasn’t what I needed.

Glad you are getting the care you need.

Thanks Elaikases-- this guy is definitely ‘sports oriented’.

Of all things, it really hurts to sleep-- both of my shoulders hurt like hell during the night. I have to keep tossing and turning.

Follow-up ART tomorrow…

Congrats on that Squat PR!

Coming soon, it looks like.

DZ, Skid-- thanks!!

Funny thing-- 405 went down, but didn’t come back up :wink: (I gotta get my log up to date).

I went for it, but as I got toward the bottom, the little voice inside said “NOPE!”, so I just kept going until I hit the bottom of the rack.

A graceful landing for sure, but a failed attempt :wink:

Soooon…