T Nation

Shut the F**k Up About Sales

You know, I was wondering if I should have posted this in the Get a Life Forum, but I decided to post it here, because it pertains to our online fitness community because, as of late, a whole gang of newbies and crybabies on this board are running around the forums complaining that they someone is trying to sell them something!

This outbreak of whining about “people selling stuff” and some of our members having “intimate relationships” with the editors, writers, researchers, and product developers of Biotest/Testosterone REALLY fucking annoys me!

I ask, “What the fuck is wrong with selling or being sold?!” How the fuck would the majority of this god-damned world earn a fucking living if it wasn’t for people’s ability and NEED to sell?! A good chunk of the working world functions on selling a product or service!

According to these dumbshits’ mentalities, they are huge hypocrites who improve the sales of companies on a fucking daily basis. After all, let’s take a look at some of the things you need to excel in bodybuilding, athletics, strength sports, or even just general fitness.

Food.
You need to buy it, and I doubt that hardly any of the people on here are hunting for meat or cultivating their own grains or growing their own veggies and fruits and pressing their own oils or picking nuts off a fucking tree or somehow removing the water content of egg whites and milk solids to get protein powder.

So what do they have to do? BUY food. This means that they’re contributing to the SALES of companies or a little store! Some of the more financially conscientious ones might use coupons (a form of MARKETING, a mechanism that improves SALES) to save on purchases! Or they might be influenced by a particular sports nutrition company’s reputation (BRANDING, a form of marketing, a thing to boost SALES).

A gym to go to.
They have to join a gym. Maybe they can construct their own gym, but to be successful in bodybuilding and general fitness for most people, a gym membership has to be bought. So that means a SALESperson has to deal with them. You know, a SALE has to be made.

Education
This might require buying some books or magazines on nutrition and exercise. So, if they don’t get all their reading materials from a library, they have to BUY (or be SOLD) their reading materials. And actually, a library card costs 5 bucks. So a library SELLS them the card!

According to these assholes who can’t see the value in anything, even the products and services they BUY (or are SOLD on) for fitness or to STAY ALIVE (medicine, food, shelter) have no inherent value.

I suppose the employees at Biotest/Testosterone should starve to death and stop making SALES to have a functioning business. They can go on and complain about the price of Biotest supplements, or any supplements for that matter, and perhaps rely on other supplements or foods. But that would mean they’d have to BUY (or be SOLD) by other companies.

As a matter of fact, according to these fuckfaces’ logic, all companies should stop hiring SALESpeople and go out of business for doing that really EVIL, NASTY thing called SELLING!

They should all shut up and realize that if you can’t afford something, either find a way to obtain more money to purchase or face the fact that you can’t have it!

Ha ha - nice rant Brick.

I agree…

i think you’re getting confused between actual transactions (sales) and solicitations (advertisements). the transactions keep our society going, true. there’s nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s essential as you point out. but i’m sick of advertisements, as are others.

you could argue that the people doing the selling need to make a living, but that doesn’t change the fact that i’m sick of seeing and hearing advertisements.

yeah it’s a rant, but calm down.

Thanks, Sky! I also find it funny that the people who complain about sales are usually the ones making the least progress.

Brick anytime I read one of your posts I picture a guy foaming at the mouth angrily pounding each key as he types while grinding his teeth. I don’t know if you’re ACTUALLY pissed off whenever you post but your tone always seems extremely hostile, at least to me. I also agree with grettiron.

I suspect YOU are trying to sell me something.

[quote]JLu wrote:
Brick anytime I read one of your posts I picture a guy foaming at the mouth angrily pounding each key as he types while grinding his teeth. I don’t know if you’re ACTUALLY pissed off whenever you post but your tone always seems extremely hostile, at least to me. I also agree with grettiron.[/quote]

Aside from ONE thread, I don’t remember ever being pissed while posting on here. If I recall correctly, I started this thread around 1 to 2 AM last night and I was nearly half asleep.

I really don’t know why people find my posts so menacing aside from my use of expletives.

Is it my wording? Or how I string together a sentence or a paragraph? I don’t know.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
i think you’re getting confused between actual transactions (sales) and solicitations (advertisements). the transactions keep our society going, true. there’s nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s essential as you point out. but i’m sick of advertisements, as are others.

you could argue that the people doing the selling need to make a living, but that doesn’t change the fact that i’m sick of seeing and hearing advertisements.

yeah it’s a rant, but calm down. [/quote]

I don’t think the OP is confused in the slightest. The site exists to support the sale of Biotest products. As such, it is an advertising and marketing vehicle, and one that I greatly admire.

Almost all media, be it TV, radio, newspapers or the internet, is in a symbiotic relationship with manufacturers and advertisers. We implicitly agree to be exposed to the ads, in order to get the content.

If you don’t like the advertorials, don’t read them. Or, what about this, find a publicly-funded site, sort of an NPR of bodybuilding, that delivers cutting edge training, nutrition and supplement advice without the horror of an occasional sales pitch.

Let us know about the great sites out there that are advertiser-free.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Ha ha - nice rant Brick.

I agree… [/quote]

X2

Nothing like a quality rant to perk up the day.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
i think you’re getting confused between actual transactions (sales) and solicitations (advertisements). the transactions keep our society going, true. there’s nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s essential as you point out. but i’m sick of advertisements, as are others.

you could argue that the people doing the selling need to make a living, but that doesn’t change the fact that i’m sick of seeing and hearing advertisements.

yeah it’s a rant, but calm down. [/quote]

Why should he calm down? You have people basically calling others sell outs because they got invited to Biotest HQ. People here complain too much. There is a whole thread filled with nothing but bitching about the cost of a supplement…when that same supplement had the prospective cost discussed in detail for months prior and the final product ended up costing LESS than expectations.

To claim you are sick of advertisements implies it may be time to cut the tv and/or computer off because if you haven’t noticed, people are trying to sell you something from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. Hell, if it weren’t for Pop Up Blocker, we wouldn’t even be able to surf the internet without 5,000 ads popping up on screen for shit we don’t want or need.

That is why I don’t watch much regular tv. I can at least fast forward through commercials if it is on DVR.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:
i think you’re getting confused between actual transactions (sales) and solicitations (advertisements). the transactions keep our society going, true. there’s nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s essential as you point out. but i’m sick of advertisements, as are others.

you could argue that the people doing the selling need to make a living, but that doesn’t change the fact that i’m sick of seeing and hearing advertisements.

yeah it’s a rant, but calm down. [/quote]

Why should he calm down? You have people basically calling others sell outs because they got invited to Biotest HQ. People here complain too much. There is a whole thread filled with nothing but bitching about the cost of a supplement…when that same supplement had the prospective cost discussed in detail for months prior and the final product ended up costing LESS than expectations.

To claim you are sick of advertisements implies it may be time to cut the tv and/or computer off because if you haven’t noticed, people are trying to sell you something from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. Hell, if it weren’t for Pop Up Blocker, we wouldn’t even be able to surf the internet without 5,000 ads popping up on screen for shit we don’t want or need.

That is why I don’t watch much regular tv. I can at least fast forward through commercials if it is on DVR.[/quote]

hmm i think i missed a few threads that provide context for OPs rant.

and yes, i did notice people are trying to sell me stuff continuously. i generally don’t watch tv (or own one), and use noscript and adblock plus when online.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:
i think you’re getting confused between actual transactions (sales) and solicitations (advertisements). the transactions keep our society going, true. there’s nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s essential as you point out. but i’m sick of advertisements, as are others.

you could argue that the people doing the selling need to make a living, but that doesn’t change the fact that i’m sick of seeing and hearing advertisements.

yeah it’s a rant, but calm down. [/quote]

I don’t think the OP is confused in the slightest. The site exists to support the sale of Biotest products. As such, it is an advertising and marketing vehicle, and one that I greatly admire.

Almost all media, be it TV, radio, newspapers or the internet, is in a symbiotic relationship with manufacturers and advertisers. We implicitly agree to be exposed to the ads, in order to get the content.

If you don’t like the advertorials, don’t read them. Or, what about this, find a publicly-funded site, sort of an NPR of bodybuilding, that delivers cutting edge training, nutrition and supplement advice without the horror of an occasional sales pitch.

Let us know about the great sites out there that are advertiser-free.[/quote]

again, i think i missed some context. i don’t mind the pitches here because it’s something i am very interested in. most of the junk advertised in daily life is of no interest to me… so it’s noise, irritating noise.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:
i think you’re getting confused between actual transactions (sales) and solicitations (advertisements). the transactions keep our society going, true. there’s nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s essential as you point out. but i’m sick of advertisements, as are others.

you could argue that the people doing the selling need to make a living, but that doesn’t change the fact that i’m sick of seeing and hearing advertisements.

yeah it’s a rant, but calm down. [/quote]

Why should he calm down? You have people basically calling others sell outs because they got invited to Biotest HQ. People here complain too much. There is a whole thread filled with nothing but bitching about the cost of a supplement…when that same supplement had the prospective cost discussed in detail for months prior and the final product ended up costing LESS than expectations.

To claim you are sick of advertisements implies it may be time to cut the tv and/or computer off because if you haven’t noticed, people are trying to sell you something from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. Hell, if it weren’t for Pop Up Blocker, we wouldn’t even be able to surf the internet without 5,000 ads popping up on screen for shit we don’t want or need.

That is why I don’t watch much regular tv. I can at least fast forward through commercials if it is on DVR.[/quote]

Whatever Sellout.

V

Yeah, I have to agree, Brick. Everyone has a choice about what they purchase, and you don’t have to like it, but you should learn to live with it.

I think you’re an intelligent guy, who’s passionate about what he does and I hope that never changes. I may not always agree with what you say, but nobody can ever say that you’re boring and apathetic.

You do come off as being a little tightly wound, but deciphering text can be difficult sometimes. In any case, keep fighting the good fight, Brick.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]JLu wrote:
Brick anytime I read one of your posts I picture a guy foaming at the mouth angrily pounding each key as he types while grinding his teeth. I don’t know if you’re ACTUALLY pissed off whenever you post but your tone always seems extremely hostile, at least to me. I also agree with grettiron.[/quote]

Aside from ONE thread, I don’t remember ever being pissed while posting on here. If I recall correctly, I started this thread around 1 to 2 AM last night and I was nearly half asleep.

I really don’t know why people find my posts so menacing aside from my use of expletives.

Is it my wording? Or how I string together a sentence or a paragraph? I don’t know.
[/quote]

You use lots of capitalized words and !'s often. Its also probably your wording and the fact that you don’t beat around the bush. I’ve noticed that alot of people often mistake you as the leatherface your avatar once was from reading your posts. I personally enjoying reading your posts. I don’t picture you as angry. More like your really really enthusiastic or hyped. Really hyped up.

[quote]elusive wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]JLu wrote:
Brick anytime I read one of your posts I picture a guy foaming at the mouth angrily pounding each key as he types while grinding his teeth. I don’t know if you’re ACTUALLY pissed off whenever you post but your tone always seems extremely hostile, at least to me. I also agree with grettiron.[/quote]

Aside from ONE thread, I don’t remember ever being pissed while posting on here. If I recall correctly, I started this thread around 1 to 2 AM last night and I was nearly half asleep.

I really don’t know why people find my posts so menacing aside from my use of expletives.

Is it my wording? Or how I string together a sentence or a paragraph? I don’t know.
[/quote]

You use lots of capitalized words and !'s often. Its also probably your wording and the fact that you don’t beat around the bush. I’ve noticed that alot of people often mistake you as the leatherface your avatar once was from reading your posts. I personally enjoying reading your posts. I don’t picture you as angry. More like your really really enthusiastic or hyped. Really hyped up.[/quote]

I personally think he shouldn’t give a shit. Everyone thinks I am angry nearly all of the timer when the truth is, many of my posts are written with me laughing at what I am responding to.

Then again, I AM black so I must be angry all of the time anyway…and addicted to menthols…that I smoke in the projects…while wearing my FUBU jumpsuit…and chasing down white women.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Then again, I AM black so I must be angry all of the time anyway…and addicted to menthols…that I smoke in the projects…while wearing my FUBU jumpsuit…and chasing down white women.[/quote]

LOL! I lost it when you mentioned the FUBU jumpsuit hahahaha.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]elusive wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]JLu wrote:
Brick anytime I read one of your posts I picture a guy foaming at the mouth angrily pounding each key as he types while grinding his teeth. I don’t know if you’re ACTUALLY pissed off whenever you post but your tone always seems extremely hostile, at least to me. I also agree with grettiron.[/quote]

Aside from ONE thread, I don’t remember ever being pissed while posting on here. If I recall correctly, I started this thread around 1 to 2 AM last night and I was nearly half asleep.

I really don’t know why people find my posts so menacing aside from my use of expletives.

Is it my wording? Or how I string together a sentence or a paragraph? I don’t know.
[/quote]

You use lots of capitalized words and !'s often. Its also probably your wording and the fact that you don’t beat around the bush. I’ve noticed that alot of people often mistake you as the leatherface your avatar once was from reading your posts. I personally enjoying reading your posts. I don’t picture you as angry. More like your really really enthusiastic or hyped. Really hyped up.[/quote]

I personally think he shouldn’t give a shit. Everyone thinks I am angry nearly all of the timer when the truth is, many of my posts are written with me laughing at what I am responding to.

Then again, I AM black so I must be angry all of the time anyway…and addicted to menthols…that I smoke in the projects…while wearing my FUBU jumpsuit…and chasing down white women.[/quote]
When do you even have time to workout?

Is that FUBU jumpsuit comfortable to work out in while your smoking menthols?

wait a minute… X, are you LL Cool J?