T Nation

Shugs' Blog - The Physique Clinics

If you have been following the Physique Clinics you gotta read this…

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2015427

Interesting read for a few reasons:

1. IIRC, before the Clinic began he mentioned that fat clients make you look bad. I was surprised to hear this because it’s actually the opposite. Fat clients could lose multiple pounds of fat per week which makes for a dramatic overall change in a short time frame.

On the other hand guys trying to bulk-up don’t usually add pounds of muscle per week.

Fat loss is substantially easier and faster to do than muscle gain - it’s that simple. (Which points to the fact that programs claiming to “pack on slabs of beef in no time” are ridiculous; but that’s for another thread.)

1. The way he presents Gregg’s potential reasons for lack of results is somewhat lopsided. Basically he quickly mentions that he may have a medical condition; but then explores in great detail that he might be selling his supplements or simply not be doing as told.

This is the same format he always uses when discussing this participant, which leads me to believe that he doesn’t really think he has a medical condition.

For Shug’s sake (and Gregg) I hope he’s right, because I’d feel like an ass if I spent most of my making false accusations.

Then again, he may not be doing as told; luckily I don’t have to make that judgment call.

1. It’s too bad that ectos wanting to build muscle will be phased out (or reduced) from the clinics. For many of us the purpose of lifting and sucking down protein shakes is to build our bodies. If low appetite ectos (and I’m only using this term because Shugs did) aren’t producing results fast enough - then chose mesomorphs who want to gain muscle. Hell, the coaches can even cheat and put them on a 3 full body training sessions per week so we can watch them explode! (OK, I was being facetious with that last remark)

Definitely a great read…it’s good to see things from the coaches perspective.

Yet another unfortunate turn for the ectos as they were hoping for more ecto participants to pack on muscle. BTW, initially I thought CrewPierce was a mesomorph.

Also, I must add that Trojan made pretty good gains as an ectomorph in the short period of time that he was part of the clinic.

[quote]kgrig wrote:
BTW, initially I thought CrewPierce was a mesomorph.
[/quote]

When I first started lifting weights 4 or 5 years ago I was 150 at 6’3’’. Needless to say the muscle hasn’t come easily and I’ve put the most weight on at one time during this Physique Clinic.

[quote]kgrig wrote:
Definitely a great read…it’s good to see things from the coaches perspective.

Yet another unfortunate turn for the ectos as they were hoping for more ecto participants to pack on muscle. BTW, initially I thought CrewPierce was a mesomorph.

Also, I must add that Trojan made pretty good gains as an ectomorph in the short period of time that he was part of the clinic. [/quote]

Yeah. CrewPierce has done fine and I wouldn’t want to discount his progress. But Trojan had terrific gains for an ectomorph and made excellent progress. I think that’s evidence that the Clinic should embrace those types of people too. His was one of my favorite Clinics to follow while it existed.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Needless to say the muscle hasn’t come easily and I’ve put the most weight on at one time during this PC.[/quote]

Therein lies the problem. Even if you were able to add a pound of muscle per week (note: I acknowledge that muscle gain isn’t linear, but let’s keep it simple) consistently for the 12 week, which is impressive, you would have only added 12 pounds at the end of the Clinic which, overall, doesn’t look impressive. Or at least it’s not a dramatic change from a side-by-side picture comparison.

So, what’s the proposed solution? Reduce the muscle gainers (I’m not using “ecto” anymore because it’s an around about way to describe those trying to gain muscle).

This approach is in line with the large population of clueless noobs, frat boys, whatever you want to call them; who want to start training “2 C their ABZ”, but aren’t willing to invest any time in doing the real work - building muscle.

That’s why guys like Dave Tate (pre-transformation) and others like him who have substantial muscle mass and fat are great for these kinds of competitions. To the untrained eye they look like blobs of fat, but in a few short months they look nothing short of spectacular.

Most likely these types of individuals will get recruited for the new clinic.

Oh, and an additional note, if Chris thinks it’s boring to read about muscle gainers not being able to eat enough he ought to be reminded that reading about fat guys describing their hunger pains isn’t exactly a joy either.

Personally I find it’s all an excuse to take the easy way out.

I’d have to disagree about his opinion of the ecto threads being less interesting. I thought that Trojan had the best thread going of the bunch. And it was his thread that got everyone else on the bandwagon posting about more than just numbers. Hell, I only started reading the other Clinics after getting caught up in his.

Speaking as a former skinny(still pretty small) guy and all the other small guys I see posting here daily, I think it would be crazy not to get a really eager Ecto involved. Sure, fat guys look more dramatic but I think it’s more of an accomplishment for the skinny guys. If I thought I would qualify, I would be all over the application for the next round. And, yes, yes, I know I’m biased but still, give the skinny-fat kids some hope!! hehe

Oh, and don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the other clinics and learned plenty from them. I just don’t want to see these Clinics turn into who can be the quick fix.

And with that…

I liked Shugart’s comment about CT giving skinny guys a crapload of vegetables to eat…

Where the bloody hell are the mesos ???
I want to see one of them it to be honest, all fat people are boring to be honest hearing about their hunger pangs aint riveting stuff and hearing ecto’s yelling ZOMG FOOD AAHHHHHHH (bring back trogan^^)
A meso is what we need !

I only read the fat loss Clinics… I agree, its just boring to read about the gainers. Its hard as fuck to gain pure muscle mass. And the progress is slow. And thats that… Maybe they could do a Dave Tate strength Clinic. That would be fucking awesome. No body weight goals, just goals on the big 3 lifts. I would read that, and I would love to participate.

Just stick with the fatties, its more fun to watch them progress and get the confidence.

Unless its a bulk with AAS :D… that would be exciting.

[quote]Corkonian wrote:
Where the bloody hell are the mesos ???
I want to see one of them it to be honest, all fat people are boring to be honest hearing about their hunger pangs aint riveting stuff and hearing ecto’s yelling ZOMG FOOD AAHHHHHHH (bring back trogan^^)
A meso is what we need ![/quote]

A meso Clinic wouldn’t help anyone, a true mesomorph wouldn’t typically need advice.

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
… Hell, the coaches can even cheat and put them on a 3 full body training sessions per week so we can watch them explode! (OK, I was being facetious with that last remark)[/quote]

lol

not picking skinny guys? what the fuck man. if they only pick one, im hoping its me. i messed up on my application though, i put i weighed 200 when im only in the low 190’s cause every damn scale i used was off by 5 or so lbs.

anyway theres a million shows on TV that show fat people losing weight, theres just as many skinny people as fat people, and you can make any newb stick gain weight by having him lift consistently for a month or two aslong as he eats. i want them to take me, an ecto who already put on some weight and dont look half bad to help me get to that next level.

I guess this boils down to what the purpose of the Clinics are.
To me they are a source of good information and inspiration and not entertainment. Yes it is good to see before and after pics of Gus and Bartl but actually getting something out of it is by following Clinics of the people who have the same challenges/goals as you.

That’s why it would be great to see an array of goals from weak guys wanting to put on muscle to fat guys wanting to lose fat(and combination of both). This way people can learn and closely follow what meets their needs.

It’s crazy how he finds the guy who is actually building a future as a bodybuilder gets labelled as “boring”. Shedding fat is easy once you have built a base. If he were interested in preserving this site’s bodybuilding mission statement (which is debatable at this point), he would be more interested in watching people build a base. Instead, kids read his shit and you’ve got 150 pounders “cutting” down to 150 from which to build. Like they have any sense of what it takes/looks like to build a body when they think they have too much fat at 150lbs.

I would’ve been stoked to see more skinny guys. I’m with Shugs on the diet advice to the ectos. Why weren’t they told to eat more calorie dense foods? That’s what Berardi recommends in Scrawny to Brawny.

This is a body building site. Building muscle should definitely be given priority over losing fat.

Trojan was selected because he sounded like an especially hard gainer. Crew joined the clinic saying he had plateaued. Now that kinda selection ain’t that intelligent if all you want is visible gains, but I reckon normal lean guys wouldn’t be so slow at gaining. And even 12 lbs of muscle would be a good visible difference for someone as skinny as me (just an example; I’m ineligible for the clinic).

[quote]engerland66 wrote:
If he were interested in preserving this site’s bodybuilding mission statement (which is debatable at this point), he would be more interested in watching people build a base. Instead, kids read his shit and you’ve got 150 pounders “cutting” down to 150 from which to build[/quote]

Incase you missed it, it’s now “World’s Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation”… no joke, http://www.T-Nation.com/ .

Fat people are here to stay.

pretty chubby girls, eh? COUNT ME IN!!! Not saying I am all that, but when I look in the mirror my face is the only thing that is half way decent looking on my body lol…ok, and maybe my toes…
Anyway,I signed up crosses fingers GL to those left still trying to reach there goals!

Below is a copy of testosterone.net’s 2001 mission statement.

I’ve taken the liberty to bold some text:

[quote]
Dangerously Hardcore!
The Testosterone mission statement
by Tim Patterson

Welcome to Testosterone, the website that almost charged the world’s highest subscriber fee! Huh? Why is a website, particularly one that focuses on muscle building and physique enhancement in general, bragging about almost becoming the most expensive site in the world? No, we haven’t fried our brains out by reading too many Joe Weider editorials (actually, we’re in withdrawal from not getting enough real training information).

Truth be told, this site is absolutely free. Let me explain:

We’re going to pack this website with the best hardcore, renegade muscle-building, and fat-burning information available. And, quite honestly, we were going to charge you a muscular arm and leg for it. With the stuff we’re going to give you, with the experts we’re going to feature, we absolutely felt it would have been worth it.

But, after a few sleepless nights spent reevaluating our goals, we figured we’d be better off � you’d be better off � if we didn’t charge you anything!

Look, our main reason in establishing this website is that we’re in the process of putting together the most informative, irreverent physique magazine on the planet: Testosterone…Muscle With Attitude.

Many of you who used to read Muscle Media 2000 a couple of years ago stopped because, almost overnight, it lost its edge and went mainstream. Most readers and industry critics realize that, to a large extent, the soul, the flavor, the feel of the magazine was due to then Editor-in-Chief TC Luoma. As soon as TC was inexplicably replaced as editor, the magazine took on a whole new, softer feel, leaving those of us who want the real deal looking for a place to get it.

Well, a lot of people weren’t really happy with Muscle Media’s new direction (and neither were some of the world’s most highly regarded “physique theorists” who want to come on board with Testosterone � you’ll freak when you hear some of the people poised to join us in the near future, as soon as their contracts with other companies run out!). We’ve got a feeling that all those ex-Muscle Media readers are out there looking for a new source of cutting-edge information on how to build muscle � fast!

Here’s what we’re going to do:

� Put out the toughest muscle-building magazine ever, printing anything and everything that has to do with hardcore muscle building, regardless of who it offends.

� Talk honestly about supplements and the supplement business. Want to know if one brand of creatine is better than another? Want to know the amazing story behind some of the industry's hottest supplements? Want to know how anybody could come up with a product like Met-Rx in about five minutes? You'll be able to read about it in the pages of Testosterone.

� Seek out the best scientists in the world to produce a line of super-supplements that are based on controlling the endocrine system, i.e. testosterone, GH, estrogen, DHT, etc. In fact, many of these compounds have drug-like effects and might well have been marketed as such, if the pharmaceutical companies had beaten us to them!

� Talk openly about steroids and take a proactive stance toward legalizing doctor-supervised use of them.

� Have fun doing it.

Trouble is, we can’t just publish a couple of million magazines, load them into a transport plane, and dump them out the back as we fly across the country. And, we can’t very well flood the newsstands with a new physique mag with the hope that our very specific, very elite market (you!) will find us behind People and Better Homes and Gardens. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. Instead, we need to compile a mailing list to find out what kind of people might be interested in a magazine written to help you build your body. Oh, a couple of these mailing lists already exist, but the owners jealously guard them. They’d sooner give up a kidney than sell anyone their list.

Consequently, we don’t know who you are. Hence this website. In exchange for giving you the info hardly anybody knows about � before anybody else knows about it � we want your name and mailing address. That way, we’ll know exactly who out there might be interested in our subscription offers. And, as soon as the mailing list grows big enough, we’ll launch the printed magazine.

Anyhow, here’s what you’ll be able to get on this website every single day for free with absolutely no strings attached.

Many of you have, no doubt, heard of Charles Poliquin. He is, arguably, the world’s greatest strength coach. He’s shown thousands of athletes how to add pounds of muscle and break through training plateaus like they don’t exist. He’s responsible for scores of Olympic medals for the athletes he’s trained, and he’s taken muscle building way into the 21st century. Most people, even those who are acknowledged as experts, walk away muttering to themselves after a session with Charles as they start to realize that they weren’t as knowledgeable as they thought they were. Strength-training coaches aren’t usually categorized this way, but Charles Poliquin is the Mozart of his field. Sheer genius.

How would you like to have access to Charles at no cost to you? How would you like to have your questions about muscle building, strength training, fat loss, and supplementation answered by Charles?

Guess what? You can have your wish. We’re incredibly excited to say that Charles has joined the Testosterone team and, in his “Question of Strength” column, he’ll answer several questions posed by Testosterone website readers. You’ll be privy to the most high-tech physique enhancement info available! And it’s absolutely free!

You’ll also have access to a feature called “Gang of Five.” Our panel of experts � some you’ll recognize, some you won’t � will answer questions about physique-enhancing drugs, supplements, training, and nutrition. This feature will be entirely uncensored and will, no doubt, at times offend a lot of people. Oh, well. We’ll feature new questions and new answers monthly.

You’ll get a variety of uncensored, informative articles and editorials, and you can bet that they won’t be the same-old, run-of-the-mill type of editorials or features you see printed in the current batch of newsstand mags. Frankly, if we’re not causing someone’s anus to pucker, provoking them to throw furniture around and utter strange babblings about our ancestry, we’re not doing a good job.

And, yes, we’ll sell our own Biotest line of unconditionally guaranteed supplements, including TRIBEX-500�?�, the only supplement in the world to contain FGP�?� (7-isopropoxyisoflavone), the long sought-after European estrogen-inhibitor; and Power Drive�?�, the product that can increase your strength dramatically within 30 minutes, in addition to improving your concentration and energy by leaps and bounds.

We are really excited about our supplements, but despite our strong urge to do so, we’re not going to go overboard here praising our products � you get bombarded enough from other supplement manufacturers. We’ll reserve most of our accolades for the Biotest site. All we ask is that you visit the Online Store and take a look for yourself.

Okay, that’s all stuff you can access for free. We’ll also provide other great services and information resources for a reasonable fee.

For instance, how would you like to have Charles Poliquin design a program for you, personally, and how would you like to have him update it every month? (Charles normally charges over $2000 a day to train people, and you know something? He’s always booked solid.) You can do that right through the Internet, on the Testosterone website.

And, periodically, we’ll also feature a variety of reports and publications, such as Charles’ new book, “Winning the Arms Race.”

If you’re like us, tired of reading the same old lame stories written by sub-literate morons, you’re ready to tap into Testosterone…Muscle With Attitude. If you want to get turned on to hardcore muscle again, go for it!

Tim Patterson

Tim Patterson
Executive Editor[/quote]