T Nation

Shugart's Web Log

For the past 2+ months Shugart’s log has been about the Velocity Diet. All this info on the velocity diet is good stuff but I miss some of his old logs.

Random acts of cerebration, big words, info on new gizmos & gadgets, exercise equipment, new bad ass automobiles and all things TESTOSTERONE.

I just liked the variety of the blog. Every time I log onto the site that’s the first thing I check. You never know what you’re gonna get. Now, it just seems a little repetitive now.

I know the Velocity Diet blog has generated a lot of interest but I wouldn’t mind seeing a little more of the unpredictability the blog used to have.

Either way I’m a big fan of the web log.

Thanks for the comments, Gash. The blog is a very experimental thing, especially now that I’m the only contrib with one. I’ve played around with many types of topics and styles, partly to see what works and gets the most feedback, and partly because I get bored easy and change things often.

The V-Diet stuff has gone on a while, I admit. Again, in part it was an experiment that proved pretty valuable. I mean, it helped me a great deal to formulate the diet, then stick with it, then write the articles. Seemed to helped others too, or at least those also on the Velocity Diet.

And I fully admit I was spoiled by getting over 26,000 views compared to the usual 2000 to 3000 or so for a book or product review, or just some rambling/ranting bit of fluff.

The T-Radio audio interviews actually started out for the blog, but I’m very glad they’re taking a bigger role than that on the front page of the site. Some people may have never found them in the little blog.

But your post is duly noted. Once the Velocity Vixen stuff is wrapped up (about two weeks) I’ll be moving on to other things. In fact, I’m headed to Vegas at the end of this month to cover a big ACSM conference. I hope to blog daily from there with regular reports.

After that, I’ll throw in some of the old stuff (Random Acts, reviews etc.) and try some new things, including something I’m going to call “What It’s Like” which I think I ripped off from an Esquire column so I may need to change the name.

I’m open to suggestions too.

Thanks!

ya, i miss the old blogs, too. one of my favs is the story of taking that guy steve or whatever to your sunday ritual. the farmers walks and strongman stuff. those stories are great

I remember when I made a couple of the guys here in the lab read the Bathroom Story. Half of them swore never to go to Thailand because of that. Pussies.

Yah, I miss the old blogs of whats on shugs mind.

jaystyles

I with ya’ll. I love all the V-Diet stuff, but I’m missing Shug’s old blogs. I’m sure you guys are busy as hell, but one of the main draws to T-Nation for me was TC’s columns and Shug’s blog, and we don’t get much anymore with all that’s going on behind the scenes, which is ok, I know you guys are trying to make it bigger and better. I’m just afraid that when the T magazine comes out the website is going to kind of fall by the wayside. Please tell me that’s not going to happen!

So your mom’s on the V-Diet, Shugs. That’s pretty funny b/c my 50 year old mom is about to start it.

I just placed an order with Biotest and ordered some extra Grow! for her. She’s going to try the one meal a day option.

She’s always complaining about how slow she loses weight so this might be just what she needs. She’s already in pretty good shape and only wants to lose about 10lbs. We’ll see if she can stick it out. I may even give this diet a run before the beach weather gets here.

The Velocity Diet was very interesting and I wouldn’t mind reading about diet and/or training experiments you do in the future.

I just miss some of the randomness of your old blogs. To echo what analog kid said about the behind the scenes stuff. I still miss the old Behind The Scenes column that Tim Patterson used to write.

Looking forward to the new column and your blogs from Vegas. Oh yeah, and I’ll start a new Ol’ Lady V-Diet thread since you won’t be blogging about your mom. Just don’t tell my mom that I called her old!

Yes! I miss all of the weird crap you used to write. Haven’t posted here is a while but I was sad to see that after “ho, ho, ho vegas” or something like that you stopped with all of the random stuff.
You’re funny and you make me laugh (in the funny ha ha way not the funny sad way)
Start with more of the old again. I loved the thing about Thailand.

Thanks for all the feedback! Future blog plans:

• “What It’s Like”: In this series I’ll do crazy stuff, dumb stuff, weird stuff, and adventurous stuff, then write about “what it’s like.”

There are a few more Thailand stories to tell in this category: getting a nekid oil massage from a lovely girl and trying not to get an erection because it wasn’t that type of place, for example.

• Cool Hunting: Here I’ll outline cool new finds: gadgets, cars, knives, electronics, training shoes, and just about every kind of unrelated cool thing in existence.

• More randomness. Instead of “Random Acts of Cerebration” I’ll post them individually but more frequently, probably daily.

• Maybe an audio rant. Or maybe I’ll read some favorite old rants of mine aloud, record them and post them.

• Open posts: I now have the ability to open up my blogs to posting. In other words, you can reply - if I want you to. I usually don’t really, but sometimes I might.

Anyway, thanks for the web log guidance.

• Maybe an audio rant. Or maybe I’ll read some favorite old rants of mine aloud, record them and post them.

FUCKIN A!

Always wanted to hear you say "You want to know what it is we do? We overcome. We’re too busy to train, too, but we overcome. We’re too busy to prepare healthy meals and eat them five or six times a day, but we overcome. We can’t always afford supplements, our genetics aren’t perfect, and we don’t always feel like going to the gym. Some of us used to be just like you, Bob, but guess what? We’ve overcome.

“We like to watch ‘normal’ people like you tell us about how they can’t get in shape. We smile and nod sympathetically like we feel your pain, but actually, we’re thinking that you’re a pathetic piece of shit that needs to grow a spine and join a gym” LMAO!

followed by "“Want to lose that beer belly, Bob? I have a nutty idea. Put down the fucking beer”

This idea is cool- i always read your motivational rants if i need some quick inspiration- to get out the door and on the way to the gym- or to resist the call of the fridge.

Just imagine the effect of putting on something like Die Fatty Die at full volume while you get ur training shit together…

a million decibels reverberating through the bass box: “I’m not going to crawl into bed with you where you’ve been lying for four months in a puddle of piss and cry with you like that pansy does. I’m going to tip that comfortable coffin over and let you burn a few hundred calories trying to get up”

I actually imagined your accent perfectly (b4 DT was up) in this bit: “Hey, look at that enormous fucking whale on the scooter! Jesus Jumpin’ Christ, that’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever seen! I don’t know whether to laugh or puke! Look kids, that’s what happens when you can’t control yourself. That’s why Daddy encourages you to be active and not eat too much candy. Goddammit, let’s go workout right now until that disturbing fucking mental image is erased from our minds!”

jesus christ i want to work out right now. do this idea Chris!!! Surely it would be one of the easier ones?

Cant freakin wait for this!

I’m gonna go reread those now. Fucking priceless.

I like all the old blog stuff from before but, and I mentioned this before, I enjoyed following the v-diet stuff. Maybe you could post current workout/diet stuff and progress/results. It wouldn’t have to be daily, maybe bi-weekly or monthly.

Shugart audio rants-HELL YEAH!

Blogs are a fad.

But they were cool!

Chris you have no idea how much I enjoy just about every article/blog/anything you have said. I liked the V-Diet stuff a lot and thought it was much needed. Before reading up on the V-Diet I was on something similar, and couldn’t see why so many others were blinded and not realizing that moderately low but intelligent calories could shed off fat, much more than what the technical nazi’s preach of “no more than a pound a week or it will all be muscle”, but I digress.

For a month I have been waiting to get to read your article about “useless weight, the big fat guy who thinks his weigth and size is all that but in reality would have no more than 14” arms". You spoke briefly about posting this article in your V-Diet blog where you were having a contemplation about going below that 200 pound mark, and were about 2 weeks in to your V-Diet. I know that would be a laugh filled truth injected article…I swear I have the biggest non-gay crush on you, don’t worry you don’t have to wear any thongs. I really appreciate your mix of truth, point blank pun, creative self-aware thinking, wit, and outward view of what’s important and a rejection of the fickle.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Blogs are a fad.
[/quote]

Note: The White House is now allowing some bloggers in as legit “press.”

A fad? Yes, the pendulum will swing far to the right for a while, as it is now, but then it will settle in the middle: web logs as a “new” form of media and info source.

Already magazines are taking a hit from web logs. They can’t keep up or get info out fast enough. The paper mags are now starting their own blogs because the net is damaging the newsstand mag and newspaper biz. Blogging is a big part of that.

This is part of the reason why this site is now Testosterone Nation and not Testosterone Magazine. “Magazine” is so last century and the name is limiting and narrow compared to what an internet site can do: interaction with authors, audio, video, immediate commerce exchanges… all instantaneous!

So, I see blogging like I see the Internet itself. Several years ago, everyone thought they had to have a “personal web site.” That trend has died down, but does that make the Internet a “fad?” Nope.

Blogs are the same. Every middle school kid has one now and that will fade. But are they a fad? No, they’re one of the most influential and powerful new mediums out there.

I don’t really see mine as fitting all those defs above (it’s more of a fun side project) but maybe it could some day.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

A fad? Yes, the pendulum will swing far to the right for a while, as it is now, but then it will settle in the middle: web logs as a “new” form of media and info source.

Already magazines are taking a hit from web logs. They can’t keep up or get info out fast enough. The paper mags are now starting their own blogs because the net is damaging the newsstand mag and newspaper biz. Blogging is a big part of that.

This is part of the reason why this site is now Testosterone Nation and not Testosterone Magazine. “Magazine” is so last century and the name is limiting and narrow compared to what an internet site can do: interaction with authors, audio, video, immediate commerce exchanges… all instantaneous!

So, I see blogging like I see the Internet itself. Several years ago, everyone thought they had to have a “personal web site.” That trend has died down, but does that make the Internet a “fad?” Nope.

Blogs are the same. Every middle school kid has one now and that will fade. But are they a fad? No, they’re one of the most influential and powerful new mediums out there.

I don’t really see mine as fitting all those defs above (it’s more of a fun side project) but maybe it could some day.
[/quote]

I agree that was more than a bit of a blanket statement, I see where it could possibly be coming from, but blogs being a fad is hardly the case.

Are blogs about a twenty something chubby chick talking about in ad-nausem detail what she ate for every meal in very disturbing detail, and how when she woke up her left eye felt tingly, going to fade? Probaby and deservingly so. Blog is also a realtive term, I could call many a things a “blog” but there relation couldn’t be farther. Chris’s stuff never felt like a sterotypical blog to me, hell I didn’t know it was a “blog”.

Detoxing from the regular Shugart articles for me has been tougher than Pizza, Richard Simmons, and Dorito references…I need my next hit soon, I can’t take it, I may go read some teeny bopper articles at teenboybandbuilding.com, on how to get super lean abs, and the need to cut if you are above 130 pounds. Please don’t make me do it Chrissy, please!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Blogs are a fad.

But they were cool! [/quote]

Yeah, iPods are a fad, too. Damn them taking over the world!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[/quote]

Chris Shugart, new spoken word god.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:
Chris you have no idea how much I enjoy just about every article/blog/anything you have said.

For a month I have been waiting to get to read your article about “useless weight, the big fat guy who thinks his weigth and size is all that but in reality would have no more than 14” arms". You spoke briefly about posting this article in your V-Diet blog where you were having a contemplation about going below that 200 pound mark, and were about 2 weeks in to your V-Diet. I know that would be a laugh filled truth injected article…[/quote]

Thanks for the props. The article I’d hinted at is still in the works. I may see if TC wants to run it as a Guest Atomic Dog rather than a blog entry though. That way it’ll piss off the maximal amount of people!