T Nation

Shugart's New Program

“…full body workouts performed three times per week, usually on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. They do two very hard sets per exercise and train the whole body in one session.”

Strangely enough, my beginner’s instincts seem to have pointed me in the right direction. This is exactly what I’ve been doing, and I was starting to wonder whether I should switch to a different program from the archives here at T-Nation. Looks like the answer is “no” for the moment. :wink:

That’s what I’m currently doing with CW’s Strength-Focused Mesocycle. I’ve been doing full-body workouts or lower/upper body splits for the past few years with good gains. That seems to work much better for me than other splits I’ve used.

so would a workout look something like this?

2x10 of the following

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench
Rows
Pullups
Shoulder presses
Dips

[quote]iluminatae wrote:
So would a workout look something like this?[/quote]

I do mine this way at the moment:

Back hyper (2x15)
Twist hyper (2x15 left, 2x15 right)
Tricep extension (2x15)
Bicep curl (2x15)
Flat bench (2x10)
Low row (2x10)
Military press (2x10)
Pullups (2x10)
Deadlifts (2x10)
Leg press (2x15)
Calf raise (2x15)

This is a lot to do in 45 minutes. I superset everything so I can cram it all in; each pair of exercises involves opposite motions and muscle groups, so I can beat up one muscle group while I rest another.

I’m not sure what to call my second exercise. I get on the back hyper sideways, and twist at the waist on both the downward and upward motions – so I’m facing down at the bottom and up at the top. This is just my half-assed attempt to put a little more work into the obliques, so I’m not really sure it’s even a good idea… but it does get me sweating and breathing hard at the beginning of the workout.

Do as CW suggests in TTT and SFM. Use only 4-6 exercises per workout to hit the whole body. Use different exercises for each day, and use different parameters for each workout.

more like

day 1:
squat
bench
row

day 2:
core stuff
rear delt stuff
repetition method with some light weight

day 3:
deadlift
overhead press
pullup variation

day 2 would be very light using dumbells for everything and single leg stuff…

or you can always put some single leg stuff after day 1 and 2

My question is how much time would this take and what exersises would be in the workout. I’m only in the gym for 45-60min. I do this during lunch break at work. Right now I workout five days a week with a dif body part each day so this would be a hard one to swallow for me. I’m sure it works with the proper exersises. I’m just not sure I have the time to do it properly.
I do incorporate squats, deadlifts and rows in my workouts. I would think the clean and jerk would need to be in there somewhere.

There are many ways to go about this. Also keep in mind that I’m just experimenting. Who knows? Maybe this will be a cock-up for me.

The point of the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=498002"target=“new”>blog was simply this – don’t be afraid to experiment, especially when some very large, smart and experienced people seem to be gravitating towards this kind of training. And many of them BLOW UP after leaving the five day split, one or two muscle groups per day routine. Gotta drop the ego and give it a shot.

[Side rant: Ever notice that upon hearing new info from a respected strength coach (like the folks who advised me on this), some people become curious, ask clarifying questions and try out the info. But others get sarcastic, never try the ideas, and only post to try to “one up” the expert and look smart, usually with lots of Internet penis-waving and plumage-flaring. Side rant over.]

Honestly, I don’t think it will be a cock-up at all for me. The novelty and change (both physical and mental) alone will solicit some new gains, I’m sure.

Again, lots of ways to do a program like this, but I’m going to start by switching up the exercises each session. Example: Monday’s back work = one-arm rows. Tuesday = pull-ups. Friday = pulldowns.

Chief: This is the first week of the program for me, but so far workouts are about 45 minutes long.

Good stuff, guys. This is what being a think tank is all about.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Chief: This is the first week of the program for me, but so far workouts are about 45 minutes long.

[/quote]

Thanks Chris! Definitely interested in trying this. Change can definitely be good! Please keep us posted on your progress.

I’m on a scheduled week off right now and next week starting my first MAG-10 cycle so I don’t want to change up my workout just yet. I’ve only used 4-AD-EC before so curious as to the diff between the two. Too much change at one time can lead to not knowing what helped and what didn’t. In the mean time I’d love to hear how it goes for you and what routine you used.

BTW, I love your blogs! I like all of them but yours is my favorite! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Does anyone dare to try the ultimate minimalist routine:

First 20 minute EDT PR Zone - power clean and push press (this zone is longer because you’re doing two movements - a clean and a press)

Second 15 minute EDT PR Zone - squat

Abs if you want.

80% 1RM, try to get 25 total reps, then add weight.

clean n press …and squat

that sounds great…

what about the other days??

or just do that 3 days of the week?

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Does anyone dare to try the ultimate minimalist routine:

First 20 minute EDT PR Zone - power clean and push press (this zone is longer because you’re doing two movements - a clean and a press)

Second 15 minute EDT PR Zone - squat

Abs if you want.

80% 1RM, try to get 25 total reps, then add weight.[/quote]

Mike,

Better have 911 on standby… because that would be one kick ass routine.

I was just considering a month of two a days. This might be my second workout.

Only one exercise per bodypart per day?

I wouldn’t dare try it :). I remember doing a squat workout I got from a a Pararescue guy(the airforce special forces) and it had me and my friends legs unusable for the 3 days of the weekend. It sucked to walk and everything.

This is the type of routine I used in my late teens, early twenties, and had the best gains of my life. Strangely enough, it came from an old Weider course that you had to send off for. Some of the guys here that have been lifting for awhile may remember seeing the ads for it. The thing was is it that it was intended strictly for beginners and eventually they had you doing the 6 days-a-week, 20 sets-per-bodypart type split.

Here’s the routine from one of my old workout journals:

1 work set x 8 reps (after warm-up)for each exercise

Day 1:
Bench
Flyes
Lateral raise
Behind-the-neck press
Squat
Leg ext.
Leg curl
Bar Row
Stand DB curl
Lying tricep ext.
Incline curl
Abs
Calves

Day 2:
Power clean
One-arm row
Pullover
Military press
Behind-the-neck pulldown
Bent over lateral raise
Concentration curl
Tricep kickback
Wrist curl
Lunge
Abs
Calves

Day 3:
Squat
Leg ext.
Leg curl
Deadlift
Bar Row
Incline bench
Close-grip bench
Lateral raise
Overhead DB tri ext.
Seated alternate DB curl
Reverse curl
Bent-over lateral raise
Abs
Calves

Now before someone blasts me for several of the weenie exercises(tricep kickback, concentration curl, etc.), if I decided to go back to this routine today I would probably drop alot of the isolation stuff and replace it with compound movements.

I have never been as strong before or since doing this routine. All this talk about whole body workouts makes me want to give it a go again.

[quote]sagomed wrote:
clean n press …and squat

that sounds great…

what about the other days??

or just do that 3 days of the week?[/quote]

I’m saying that’s all you do 2-3 times a week – the ultimate minimalist routine for strength.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
Mike,

Better have 911 on standby… because that would be one kick ass routine.

I was just considering a month of two a days. This might be my second workout.
[/quote]

You think it’s that tough? I haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know. But it’s 50 total reps, or if you want to count the push press as its own exercise, 75 total reps. I suppose if I got rid of the time constraints and just made it a straight 5x5 that would make it easier.

Chief, just an update, today’s workout stretched to just over an hour. Set-up time was part of that (used gymnastic rings for a few upper body exercises, plus had to load the leg press machine up), and part of it was just me being nauseous and taking longer rest periods.

Learned several lessons today:

1. Don’t have sex right before a workout then doze off.

2. Upon awaking 10 minutes before gym time, don’t guzzle large iced coffee. You’ll be alert but nauseous.

3. Don’t do heavy, hard, high rep leg presses after any of the above.

4. Don’t forget during-workout Surge due to rushing to the gym.

5. Also, we did two chest exercises (ring dips and ring flyes) today, which in hindsight was a mistake. Stick to one exercise per muscle group or pay the price later the workout.

Was a good workout otherwise, but I was glad I had a good partner to push me through it. I’ll adjust next week based on what I learned this week.

Rule of thumb: The first week of any new program is a “learning week.” The real program starts on week two as you’ll have everything ironed out by then.

It’s nice to see that the guru’s are still learning lessons too… :wink:

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

You think it’s that tough? I haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know. But it’s 50 total reps, or if you want to count the push press as its own exercise, 75 total reps. I suppose if I got rid of the time constraints and just made it a straight 5x5 that would make it easier.
[/quote]

5x5 would be a lot easier. Sure I can fire out 5 to 10 reps easy enough. It’s reps 11-25 that kill ya. I just finished a routine including the breathing squat. It was 20 reps of an 80 % max. I was using every second of the rest periods.

Hitting the PR zone for 25 reps or more with at true 80% 1RM would be tough enough.

If you want to add something add Coach Davies ‘The Bear’ for another set of 25.

I may have to give it a try and see how it goes.