Shugart's Article Got Me Thinking...

How does this plan look? I’m trying to maintain or gain LBM and get stronger and faster.

5’7.5 and 170.

Day 1: Whole lower body (long run - 7-8 miles)
Day 2: Upper body horizontal push and pull (recovery run 1-2 miles or jump rope)
Day 3: Off (cross train *3 miles)
Day 4: Whole lower body (1-2 miles or jump rope)
Day 5: Off (timed 3 miles)
Day 6: Upper body vertical push and pull (recovery run 4 mile jog)
Day 7: Off

Diet
200 g protein, daily (800 calories) - 38%
150 g carbs, daily (600 calories) - 28%
75 g fat, daily (675 calories) 7- 34%
2,075 calories

1. Breakfast: Oatmeal, lean protein, oil supplement (40 g carbs + 40 protein)

2. Pre workout: protein shake + carbs (20 and 20)

3. Post workout: “Surge” (45 grams carbs + 20 p)

4. 1 hour Post-Post: Oatmeal + Protein source and oils (30 carbs + 40 protein)

5. Dinner: Protein + fat meal (hamburger) + vegetables (40 protein + fat and (25g carbs) vegetables)
    6 Before-bed: Casein protein (40g protein *Muscle Milk?)

6. I need to make a food log.

7. I need to plan my workouts in advance.

8. I need to plan my running workouts.

9. I need to weigh myself weekly.

10. I need to stick to an exact food intake.

11. I need to do my school work from 8-10 every night.

Question: would it be beneficial to add in more carbs/calories on days where I do longer or higher intensity running…or both? Or are my calories set at a compensatory level?

Thanks

4 mile run for recovery?

Doesn’t seem like a good way to recover to me

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
4 mile run for recovery?

Doesn’t seem like a good way to recover to me[/quote]

The intensity level is going from 6:00+ for a timed 3 miles to 8:30-8:40 miles for the 4 mile recovery.

You’re attempting to gain muscle and strength by running a minimum of 19 miles per week fueled by 2,000 kcal per day?

How hard is your “whole lower body” day that you can still run 7-8 miles afterwards?

It’s good that Shug’s article got you thinking, but there are plenty of other articles here you should probably start “thinking” over.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Question: would it be beneficial to add in more carbs/calories on days where I do longer or higher intensity running…or both? Or are my calories set at a compensatory level?
[/quote]

Answer: I think you should bump up your carbs/calories, period. As for how much…well, I’d recommend bumping them up even if you were doing no running at all, if that’s any indication.

You’re not eating enough calories to gain LBM, and you’re performing catabolic long distance running while trying to gain strength and speed.

I don’t think that will work very well. If it does, you could be doing better.

Whats your current LBM? When you know that, calculate your Base Metabolic Rate. Once you know that, add a few hundred calories, try that, see if you gain, if you don’t, add more, if you see good gains, keep at it, if you see fat gains, decrease some calories but stay over your BMR.

Obviously you will see SOME fat gain. I lost my six pack. But my bench went up 60 pounds, so, eh.

-Gendou