Shrugs

What are you guys barbell shrugen? I know once you do them for a while you can get to use some pretty sick weight.

My shrugs look about like this.

And I got 455 x 10 but my traps arent anything special, so I was wonderin what some of you big guys must be shrugen.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
What are you guys barbell shrugen? I know once you do them for a while you can get to use some pretty sick weight.

And I got 455 x 10 but my traps arent anything special, so I was wonderin what some of you big guys must be shrugen.[/quote]

Personally i dont shrug at all, i like doing cleans to work the traps.

I’m in a poor position to yay or nay shrugs, but Paul Chek has a few articles here on trap development you may find useful.

I don’t like doing them with a barbell, simply because they seem to me to be riskier and easier than doing with a pair of dumb bells. The only problem is, is that my old gym only had 150’s and when I could do them for 4 sets of 15, I needed more weight. Also I went higher on them than you do.

I can’t say that I’m real crazy about that guys form. He’s got a short ROM and no time under tension.

Unlike many people, I do like shrugs for traps, but I put them at the end of a workout. My form is a lot tighter, with a pause at the top. On the days I work traps, I deadlift first, then hit 3-4 sets of heavy rows and finish with barbell shrugs. I usually work up to 3 or 4 sets at 365 or 405 for 6-8 reps.

It’s less about the weight, and more about feeling it in the traps for me. Occasionally I’ll finish them with some shrugs on the standing calf raise machine.

[quote]n3wb wrote:

And I got 455 x 10 but my traps arent anything special, so I was wonderin what some of you big guys must be shrugen.[/quote]

I don’t do any shrugging, but do my share of clean and snatch pull variations for OL.

I don’t mean to be rude, but there is actually very little shrug going on in your vid. A lot of leg drive though. You mentioned that you can do 455 X 10 in that manner, but the traps are not anything special…have tried doing shrugs with straight legs?

I can do around 4x10 @ ~600lbs. I prefer them with dumbells or a trap bar.

I’ve been having a lot of success lately with standing calf machine shrugs…especially when I do drop sets on this exercise. I learned this exercise from one of CT’s articles.