undeadlift wrote:
It’s a good ego stroke.

I agree. I can shrug more than 1000 lbs for reps.[/quote]

How do you hold the bar?

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
2274 wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
It’s a good ego stroke.

I agree. I can shrug more than 1000 lbs for reps.

How do you hold the bar?[/quote]

I’m guessing he’s using a really heavy duty calf machine.

100repsx10lbs= 1000lbs for reps

gotta use your interwebz math.

anyway no one here is being honest… the only reason why you like to do shrugs is to see the bar bend :slight_smile:

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

anyway no one here is being honest… the only reason why you like to do shrugs is to see the bar bend :)[/quote]

No. That’s why you do above knee rack pulls.

shit who told u i do that…

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

anyway no one here is being honest… the only reason why you like to do shrugs is to see the bar bend :)[/quote]

I can’t use that much weight yet. I think I can honestly deadlift more than I can shrug, but I think its mainly a grip issue. I always do shrugs with the overhead grip.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
I always do shrugs with the overhead grip.[/quote]

The only way to do them.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
I always do shrugs with the overhead grip.

The only way to do them. [/quote]

I have seen staggered grips, so…

But I have painful callouses at the top of my hand right before the separation of the fingers under all four of them. It hurts whenever I try to hold anything, which also limits how much weight I can use.

Mixed grip shrugs are a really good way to tear a bicep in my opinion.

I like clean-pulls.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Mixed grip shrugs are a really good way to tear a bicep in my opinion.[/quote]

Why do you say that?

I usually shrug with an alternated grip - and I alternate my hand position from pronated/supinated to supinated/pronated with each set…

If I don’t, I’ll develop muscular imbalances in my upper shoulder as one tends to pull stronger then the other… It kinda keep things even, though one way is usually harder then the other… I also stretch my arms from shoulders to biceps before so they are pretty warm by the time I get to the shrug.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Why do you say that?

I usually shrug with an alternated grip - and I alternate my hand position from pronated/supinated to supinated/pronated with each set…

If I don’t, I’ll develop muscular imbalances in my upper shoulder as one tends to pull stronger then the other… It kinda keep things even, though one way is usually harder then the other… I also stretch my arms from shoulders to biceps before so they are pretty warm by the time I get to the shrug.[/quote]

When the bar comes down from the top position, what’s stopping it from continuing on down?? Aside from your traps, it’s your arms, and in the “under” hand, your bicep. Any sharp jerks or loss of concentration leaves your bicep in a VERY vulnerable position.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Why do you say that?

If I don’t, I’ll develop muscular imbalances in my upper shoulder as one tends to pull stronger then the other… It kinda keep things even, though one way is usually harder then the other… I also stretch my arms from shoulders to biceps before so they are pretty warm by the time I get to the shrug.

When the bar comes down from the top position, what’s stopping it from continuing on down?? Aside from your traps, it’s your arms, and in the “under” hand, your bicep. Any sharp jerks or loss of concentration leaves your bicep in a VERY vulnerable position.[/quote]

That’s true, I do notice the stress. I’ve never thought of it as dangerous though, but I have only been lifting for about a year.

[quote]cheeta wrote:
Girls also work traps. I like doing mine with BB and about 80-90kg with straps for 10 reps (like kazmire does) not really sure why it helps me, but when i deadlift heavy i feel it in my traps so it must help? and there for i do traps…but i also do DB shrugs, i just enjoy going heavyer with a BB and going for the glory ;)[/quote]

I saw a woman today with the most ass-kicking set of traps I have ever seen on a woman. She was very tall, lean, with narrow shoulders. So it made for a visually intriging effect- her neck was like a perfect equilateral triangle.

[quote]cheeta wrote:
Girls also work traps. I like doing mine with BB and about 80-90kg with straps for 10 reps (like kazmire does) not really sure why it helps me, but when i deadlift heavy i feel it in my traps so it must help? and there for i do traps…but i also do DB shrugs, i just enjoy going heavyer with a BB and going for the glory ;)[/quote]

I actually started doing shrugs recently. Thought I was the only girl on earth that did them…

[quote]Hanley wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:
Hanley wrote:
[/quote]

Exactly. Why not just use straps? I know it might not be “T-man” like and it won’t work your grip strength, but you’ll be able to use A LOT more weight and get your traps a lot stronger a lot faster. Then you can do your grip work separately at the end of your workout like barbell holds or farmer’s walks, etc.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
When the bar comes down from the top position, what’s stopping it from continuing on down?? Aside from your traps, it’s your arms, and in the “under” hand, your bicep. Any sharp jerks or loss of concentration leaves your bicep in a VERY vulnerable position.[/quote]

Hm, would you say RDL with a mixed grip have the same issue? I’ve never really thought about it and never noticed a strain in my bicep doing them, but now I’m wondering.

[quote]ZedThou wrote:
Hanley wrote:
When the bar comes down from the top position, what’s stopping it from continuing on down?? Aside from your traps, it’s your arms, and in the “under” hand, your bicep. Any sharp jerks or loss of concentration leaves your bicep in a VERY vulnerable position.

Hm, would you say RDL with a mixed grip have the same issue? I’ve never really thought about it and never noticed a strain in my bicep doing them, but now I’m wondering.[/quote]

No I don’t think so. The bar should just be “hanging” from your arms with RDL’s instead of jerking up and down with shrugs, ya know?

Just me personally, but I think anyone who uses olympic lifting(regularly) for sport not competing would be getting more than enough scapular elevation work.
Shrugs are good, but I would have expected you need to be doing alot more work on the scapular depressors.(activation and then strength)
I know kelso shrugs where mentioned earlier but retraction and depression are different.
Traps already have a horrendous tendancy to stiffen and over power the depressors, doing too much elevation work would be a sure fire way to create an OVERWHELMING muscle imbalance?
This is just my two cents, as ive experienced this issue first hand, just trying to help others avoid the same problem.

“Shrugs are good, but I would have expected you need to be doing alot more work on the scapular depressors.”

How do you work the scapular depressors then? Would you say that it’s the same issue for powerlifters as olympic lifters?