T Nation

Shrugs on Calf-Raise Machine

Im wondering if the involvment of stabilizing muscles is more important than the amount of raw weight on shrugs. I include 2 “mostly” trap excercises in my routine - powerclean from hang and some variation of shrug. the thing is, since youre not bounded by your grip strength, youre able to pull ALOT more weight, i was doing 380lbs for 10 reps instead of 2x 100lbs dumbbells, where my grip gives up in about 10-15sec. (I know that forearm strength is important so I work on grip-str as much as i can).

What do you think is better, raw mass or free weights ?

[quote]Drivethruhero wrote:
Im wondering if the involvment of stabilizing muscles is more important than the amount of raw weight on shrugs. I include 2 “mostly” trap excercises in my routine - powerclean from hang and some variation of shrug. the thing is, since youre not bounded by your grip strength, youre able to pull ALOT more weight, i was doing 380lbs for 10 reps instead of 2x 100lbs dumbbells, where my grip gives up in about 10-15sec. (I know that forearm strength is important so I work on grip-str as much as i can).

What do you think is better, raw mass or free weights ?[/quote]

ok firstly,are you not the kid in RMP that was very weak but still had a bruce lee like body that everyone was flaming?
with that in mind I doubt that you could even lift,letalone hold 100 pound dumb bells or lift 380 for anything.

now onto you question because it is a valid question.
my opinion is to use the lighter dumb bells
example if you cant hold 100 pounders go for 60s
reason is because you need to work more on forearm grip and less on traps. so go lighter weight and less reps and slowly work up from there.

when doing other things like back work including rows of any type,shoulder presses,deadlifts,rack pulls ect.
they get alot of indirect work.
and yes your stabalizer muscles are just as if not more important IMO than the direct target muscles.
if you work only the target muscles you may end up with imbalances if you do not also work the others.
free weights are king in that department

and please for the good of this wonderful forum do not make up stories and waste the time of folks here,we need this to be as clutter free and as troll fre as possible.

thanks.

and BTW I see nowhere in your post where you do shrugs on a calf raise machine.
how would you do that anyway.

you really should use a Barbell or a Dumbell or a shrug machine dont you think?

on a standing calf raise machine. with soft things on ur shoulders. basically u dont have to hold anything, just shrug ur shoulders upwards. thats why its much easier to shrug ALOT more weight.

[quote]Drivethruhero wrote:
on a standing calf raise machine. with soft things on ur shoulders. basically u dont have to hold anything, just shrug ur shoulders upwards. thats why its much easier to shrug ALOT more weight.[/quote]

it can be done yes.
however your traps dont need alot of weigh tto work them
besides why not use a BB or a DB to shrug so that you can have a greater ROM and also so that you can work your arms and work your core at the same time.

I personaly have never done this and it is a good idea if you want to isolate your traps.
but my opinion is they do not need isolation work if you are already doing heavy lifting to begin with.

instead of flaming you more would you like my advice? if not its fine also and I will still not flame because in your pics you look like you need ALOT of help actually

Neck!

SO that’s what those things are for!