Shrugs: Close Grip vs Snatch (Wide) Grip

I intend to do powershrugs, and am wondering what’s the difference in terms of muscular development between the two?

I know snatch grip deadlifts are supposed to work the upper back a bit more, but I feel like (though I may be wrong) that it is more from the bottom of deadlift when you are bent over.

Thanks.

EditL Ok, just realized I posted this is in the PL forum, in which it may not exactly belong. I am a PLer, and do use powershrugs to help with the DL lockout though… :stuck_out_tongue:

bigger the traps the better i think close grip shurgs work well and snatch grip hang high pulls with sloppy form work the traps and shoulders well too

They are two different exercises. Power shrugs are going to help you with your lockout, while snatch grip deads will probably help you with your speed from the floor. In my experience, that is what snatch grip deads have helped me the most with. When my speed from the floor was stalling big time, I did a 4 week cycle of snatch grips and I blasted through a plateau. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks guys.

ebomb5522, The way I phrased my question wasn’t all that clear - I meant to ask only about the difference between close or wide grip powershrugs.

[quote]lavi wrote:
Thanks guys.

ebomb5522, The way I phrased my question wasn’t all that clear - I meant to ask only about the difference between close or wide grip powershrugs.[/quote]

Haha, ya I realized that after I posted. I think that they both do a good job, but personally I would do power shrugs simply because I would be able to do more weight. I also think that doing a power shrug would have more carry-over to the conventional deadlift than the snatch high-pull. However, I do really like snatch-high pulls and think that they too are a great exercise to generate a ton of power and also increase strength in a big way.

Its almost an isolation exercise but give shrugs on the standing calf machine a try. No grip issues there, literally pure traps. Its kinda my fav