Shrug Variation to Keep Joints Safe?

I’ve read that a lot of types of shrugs aren’t all that great for your joints. What are some that are?

shrugs are ok for your joints, don’t worry.

What different types of shrugs are you thinking about? There aren’t that many…and none of them should injure your joints considering most of the joints in your body are static while doing them.

Yeah I think the shrugs that are bad for your shoulders are the ones that people roll their shoulders back and forwards when they do them. Just don’t do that.

Yea, that whole “rolling shrug” is horrible for your rotator cuff. Stick with dumbbell shrugs. Make sure you’re pulling the dumbbells up at a slight angle that is always behind your neck. Focus on squeezing your traps and shoulder blades together at the top of the movement. For me personally, I do shrugs on my squat day since traps are moderately used for that movement. You can do shrugs on dealift days too, however your traps are worked exceptionally hard when the deadlift is preformed correctly. Hope this helps dude!

I agree that they are easy on the joints. It is a short movement, and you cant really build the speed necessary to cause a joint related injury. As long as your posture is good. There was an article on here about dumbbell shrug technique that you may be referring to. It involves a pronated grip with the dumbbells at your sides, rather than in front of your body (similar to a barbell). As long as you keep your head up and shoulder blades slightly pinched, it is supposedly healthier for your shoulders.

[quote]reanukeeves wrote:
Yea, that whole “rolling shrug” is horrible for your rotator cuff. Stick with dumbbell shrugs. Make sure you’re pulling the dumbbells up at a slight angle that is always behind your neck. Focus on squeezing your traps and shoulder blades together at the top of the movement. For me personally, I do shrugs on my squat day since traps are moderately used for that movement. You can do shrugs on dealift days too, however your traps are worked exceptionally hard when the deadlift is preformed correctly. Hope this helps dude![/quote]

I would not recommend someone just focus on dumbbell shrugs. The guys with the really huge traps didn’t avoid barbells or shrug machines.

you can answer the question fully X

BB shrugs give me sharp shoulder pains, DB shrugs never do. I can’t load DB shrugs beyond 100 at my gym, which isn’t much. If you have access to a trap bar or a shrug machine with neutral grip handles, then give those a go once you max out the DBs.