Shrug Movement, Pec Activated!

One issue which has and continues to cause problems with my shoulders is a weak suprispinatus, especially in the left shoulder. This causes numerous issues including pains, winging, overcompensation by other muscles, nerve twinging etc.

One thing I found during rehab which I cannot understand and do now know what it could mean is: when doing shrug type movements, the right side feels fine and natural and I can feel the trap and rear delts working. But the left side: I can feel the trap working, but I feel almost a twinging/jumping reaction in the upper left pec (almost the feeling you get during electrical activation at a physio) and often this also extends up into the left side of the neck.

Any idea what this could be, what it means, what can be done about it?

Cheers,
X

BUMP…going through the range of rehab exercises I have I actually notice the feeling in a number of movements.

These include:

• when I lay down on the floor, on my back, with a rolled towel under my upper spine, and lift my arms above my head then down behind me (almost like a superman pose): I feel the stretch in the right like normal but in the left I feel a twinging/tweaking of the upper chest and neck in the left side
  • when doing reverse rows with band: when I extend back the tweaking feeling is felt in the chest and neck again

Not sure what it could be - may a nerve?

X