Shrinking Height

This thread may or may not have anything to do with weightlifting at all. It may appear to be a retarded question (it probably is). But I’m bored, it’s been bothering me, figured I’d ask just in case anyone knows.

I’ve been curious about something, and if anyone can give a possible explanation here that’d be great.

In 2004, My height was 5’10", weight 119lb according to a physical. In 2006, 5’9" 135ish (at the heaviest, I wrestled at 119lb earlier that year). 07, 5’8" 170ish and as of 3 weeks ago 5’7" 187lbs. All of these performed by the same doctor on the same height/weight scale. Is it actually possible that I have shrunk gradually over the past 4 years or is my doctor just an idiot who can’t read a height chart?

Age in 04 - 14.
Age now - 18.

This should have been a time period in which my height was increasing obviously, but I really haven’t gotten any taller since I was 13 years old (according to these physicals I’ve shrunk since then actually).

Probably just reading errors. I’ve been everywhere from 5’8 to 5’10. Just avg it out.

Shoes on & shoes off perhaps or different sole thicknesss if measured with your shoes on?

If shoes off in all cases then has the office been re-carpeted? (if it’s the same office)

has the measuring device been moved or re-hung or any reason? Could have been incorrectly placed.

– I knew a bloke who’s job it was to measure timber on a trolley. He put the measuring stick on the ground and as each piece of timber was placed on the trolley he would record it’s length as viewed against the stick on the ground.

Took him a long time to figure out that when he leaned on the trolley it was rolling backward and forward - hence, all the lengths were wrong.

People do silly things sometimes and rather than thinking you’re shrinking, I think a far less sinister cause is at play.

My first thought was that you’re not standing up as straight.

My second thought is that you’re not eating enough. I really think this has a lot to do with growing in puberty. As soon as I restricted my food, I stopped growing.

Reading errors
Postural alignment
spinal compression
excessive knee or spinal flexion
Time of day - you are shorter at the end of the day than you are at the beginning

all possibilities.

[quote]Otep wrote:
My first thought was that you’re not standing up as straight.

My second thought is that you’re not eating enough. I really think this has a lot to do with growing in puberty. As soon as I restricted my food, I stopped growing.[/quote]

I’m taller than both my parents already, and I’ve gained over 60lbs in the past few years. Granted, I need to eat more as I’ve plateaud the past month or 2, but I still eat quite a bit.

I assume its just my doctor reading hastily, but a 3" difference thats gradually appeared over the past 4 years made me ask just in case.

Put a ruler on your head and mark a spot on a door jam; then measure yourself.

you caught the ghey

[quote]CrazyCrew wrote:
Put a ruler on your head and mark a spot on a door jam; then measure yourself.
[/quote]

5’7.5" (a tiny bit less, rounded up)