Shredded by 4th of July?

If I have a high carb meal after a few days of going low carb, I swear I go into a coma. Its scary, I can’t keep my eyes open.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
dratner wrote:
okay so Mighty Stu pretty much laid everything out for me cuz he’s the man…it’s pretty much the get shredded in 6 days. Starting monday, I’m gonna track everything I do with pics on this thread. I’m excited. And I hope it doesn’t rain on the 4th, cuz that would suck! Anyway, on a random note, I’ve been stuck at 194-195 for over a week. So I cut my cals to 2,000 and started doing cardio for an extra 2 sessions per week, but nothing was happening. So yesterday, I decided, screw this, I ate 2300, my normal amount, did no cardio, had a great leg workout, and I weigh 192, and look noticeably leaner! Crazy.

but, according to a few on the supplement board, the only way to lose weight is to cut calories[/quote]

That’s an oversimplification…you’re using “weight” as a synonym for fat. The two are completely different. Anyone can lose weight by dropping carbs and lowering liquid intake…but calories are of pinnacle importance for fat loss.

Stu would you mind forwarding me what you wrote up for dratner? Thanks big dog!

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:

Stu would you mind forwarding me what you wrote up for dratner? Thanks big dog![/quote]

Or would you mind posting it in this thread? I’m interested as well.

Thanks

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
dratner wrote:
okay so Mighty Stu pretty much laid everything out for me cuz he’s the man…it’s pretty much the get shredded in 6 days. Starting monday, I’m gonna track everything I do with pics on this thread. I’m excited. And I hope it doesn’t rain on the 4th, cuz that would suck! Anyway, on a random note, I’ve been stuck at 194-195 for over a week. So I cut my cals to 2,000 and started doing cardio for an extra 2 sessions per week, but nothing was happening. So yesterday, I decided, screw this, I ate 2300, my normal amount, did no cardio, had a great leg workout, and I weigh 192, and look noticeably leaner! Crazy.

but, according to a few on the supplement board, the only way to lose weight is to cut calories

That’s an oversimplification…you’re using “weight” as a synonym for fat. The two are completely different. Anyone can lose weight by dropping carbs and lowering liquid intake…but calories are of pinnacle importance for fat loss.

Stu would you mind forwarding me what you wrote up for dratner? Thanks big dog![/quote]

I agree, it often seems people relate to weight loss rather than fat loss

100% agree. The mirror is the number one sign for me. And also, if my weight goes down, and I still make gains in the gym and my strength slowly climbs up, I know I’m doing the right thing. Which is why I love carb cycling, because it has allowed me to maintain intensity while training and still losing fat.

Hey dratner- if you just wanna post the few emails we exchanged so that the questions and answers are all there, go ahead, I’m sure it may answer some other questions people may have.

S

okay…from Mighty Stu.

Days 1-4:
-Drink 2-3 gallons of water a day
-Carbs UNDER 50g
-prot UNDER 150g (or your body will make glucose from the amino acids!)
(Dont worry about cals, I doubt you’ll just sit down and eat a bowl of fat)
-Avoid Condiments with sodium and dont eat a lot of fibrous veggies (lettuce, broccoli etc) as they will bloat your stomach a little bit.
Day 5:
-~50g of carbs with some protein spaced out to about 6-7 meals throughout the day.
-Drink about 1/2 - 1 gallon of water by about 4-5 pm, and then NO MORE WATER
Day 6 (July 4th), small amount of prot and carbs in morning, and every few hours as needed.

and now the training…

OKay, here’s the deal,… you want to deplete your muscle glycogen so that the day before your ‘big day’ you can carb load. THat means Antagonistic supersets. your weights will be lower, but you will be hurting. Try this (it’s what I did during my ‘peak’ week):

Day 1
Squats / Stiff leg deadlifts [6-8 sets, 10-12 reps, 30 secs rest periods for all listed]
Bent over rows / Inc DB presses
Rope Pressdowns / Cable Curls

Day 2
Leg Curls / Leg Extensions [same set and rep scheme]
Close grip pulldowns / Decline DB presses
Skull crushers / Incline DB curls

Day 3
Cable Cross overs / Wide grip chins
Seated DB Laterals / Seated DB Presses (shoulders, not legs today!)
Dips / BB curls

Day 4
Interval Cardio (ONLY CARDIO ALL WEEK!) - about 25-30 minutes
(alternate 30 second sprints with 2 minutes of easy steady state)

Day 5
(Muscle Priority)
Pick your weakest bodypart (I did my chest) and hit it hard, but don’t do slow negatives, they’re too taxing to recovery from. This will hopefully create more glycogen to go to the area with an inflammatory response (we hope! -lol)

[quote]dratner wrote:
okay…from Mighty Stu.

Days 1-4:
-Drink 2-3 gallons of water a day
-Carbs UNDER 50g
-prot UNDER 150g (or your body will make glucose from the amino acids!)
(Dont worry about cals, I doubt you’ll just sit down and eat a bowl of fat)
-Avoid Condiments with sodium and dont eat a lot of fibrous veggies (lettuce, broccoli etc) as they will bloat your stomach a little bit.
Day 5:
-~50g of carbs with some protein spaced out to about 6-7 meals throughout the day.
-Drink about 1/2 - 1 gallon of water by about 4-5 pm, and then NO MORE WATER
Day 6 (July 4th), small amount of prot and carbs in morning, and every few hours as needed. [/quote]

In case it sounds confusing, on Day 5, you ingest 50g of carbs at EACH of the meals, not in total (I was doing a few things when I typed this! -lol)

S

looking forward to seeing your results. p-nanny is is a great goal.

haha ya I assumed so. thanks stu! I’m looking forward to it, never done anything like this.

Don’t focus on calories. Focus on cutting your carbs. If you feel very hungry during the day, eat more protein/fat. Take all of your carbs from fruits/vegetables/beans (1 can of beans has 31g of fiber!) and completely cut out bread/starches.

Drink lots of water.

stu, did you find carb source during the carb up affected how the carb up went as a whole?

How was your fat intake during the carb up?

Any last minute prep stuff you’d do right before stepping on stage?

As far as my fat intake during my one day carb up, which was the Friday before my Sat show), I tried to keep to things that would essentially be bland (didn’t want any stomach issues), and didn’t have much fat. My meals consisted of either 1 cup of liquid egg whites, or a chicken breast for protein sources, and then 1 cup of white rice, 2 bananas, or (for my two evening feedings, which were closer to the show time, and when my water had already been cut for a few hours) pie filling (I know, I wasn’t sure what to make of it either, but Thibs’ advice hasn’t let me down before -lol). So if you look at what I ate, I don’t think there was any real level of fat intake at all, just sugar and lean protein sources.

Right before I hit the stage, I had a snickers bar (sugar and salt), and 2 spoonfuls of Vegetable Glycerol (which causes the muscles to take up water, however as I hadn’t been drinking any, it pulled from just beneath my skin, essentially tightening me up more). Unless you’re seriously like 3-6% bodyfat, I doubt this will cause any noticeable difference though.

S

oh and stu…the day of, 4th of july, what should my diet be like? I’m sure there’s gonna be hot dogs, burgers, all that bbq stuff. Is it okay to eat this stuff the day of? Or will I bloat up like balloon?

Alrite guys…with the help of Mighty Stu, I’m embarking on this 6 day shredded plan for the 4th of July. I’m gonna take pictures everyday, let you guys know how I’m doing. Here we go

stu- thanks for all the info. Even though I doubt I’ll ever step on a stage in my life precontest peaking stuff has always piqued my curiosity.

dratner- good luck with the program, interested to see how it turns out for ya man

When you pass out having sex due to no food be sure to let us know.

lol you guys will be the first to know.

alrite guys…today was my first day of pretty much the shredded in 6 days. here’s what I ate, training, and everything else…

Meal 1- 4 eggs, a little spinach and mushrooms, 2 slices ezekiel bread
Meal 2- 1 scoop whey, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, one big spoonful of canned pumpkin, 1 tablespoon flaxseed, lots of cinnamon
Meal 3- (workout nutrition) 1 scoop whey, 1 serving of powdered lemonade
Meal 4- 6 oz. extra lean ground beef, 2 tea spoons olive oil
Meal 5- 3 eggs, 1/4 cup egg whites, mushrooms. 1 tablespoon olive oil
Meal 6- 1 scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 tablespoon flaxseed, cinnamon, and pumpkin

2,134 calories. about 150 grams of protein. 40 carbs. 104.5 fat.

3 gallons of water
Training-
I did the exact routine Mighty Stu laid out for me above. no need to list it.

So really the biggest pain today was being really aware of too much sodium. You probably noticed 2 shakes in there, the reason being, where normally it would be chicken breast, is because the chicken I buy has a good amount of sodium, so I had to find an alternative protein source low in sodium. So thank you Metabolic Drive. I’ll post some pics up tonight. I feel fine. Wasn’t hard at all. Feelin’ great.