Shower After Lifting?

Here in Philippines people always tell me never take a shower after lifting because it will something with your vains and will cause tremors in a long run.

How true/untrue is that? Do you guys take shower immediately after lifting? What is the ideal rest period before heading to the shower room?

Thanks…

Take a shower. It is not going to hurt you. I usually wait a little while to cool off so I don’t sweat when I get out of the shower.

There is absolutely nothing true about that. Find new people to get info from if this is the type of things that they say.

Hmmm…Never heard that one before. I think that one’s a myth. I don’t see how that one add’s up from a physiological stand-point.

If you were to go from the squat rack directly into a cool/cold shower it would cause some problems (i.e. hypothermia) But unless you are really hot go ahead and take a shower.

Shower, use the search function, Zeb gave some good advice with the benefit of contrasting hot and cold showers. I had added it and has help in my recovery.

Here in the United States, if I don’t shower after I workout, my roomates hogtie me and delouse me under the garden hose.

You stink, shower after you workout.

Mate, top rugby players go straight from the game into an ice bath. A shower sure ain’t gonna hurt you.

[quote]Bragazzi wrote:
Here in Philippines people always tell me never take a shower after lifting because it will something with your vains and will cause tremors in a long run.

How true/untrue is that? Do you guys take shower immediately after lifting? What is the ideal rest period before heading to the shower room?

Thanks…[/quote]

Yeah that’s defintiely crap. However if you come out of the shower and immediately start watching Gilligan’s Island reruns while your hairs still damp, instant grand mal seizure.

–Tiribulus->

[quote]Bragazzi wrote:

Thanks…[/quote]

The truth is, the older you are, the more this is actually a risk. It just isn’t common knowledge.

If an older gentlemen goes directly from his intense workout and jumps into a cold shower, the rush of blood back to the heart could potentially cause a heart attack by increasing the afterload. That means because there is more blood in the muscles, the subsequent vasocontriction would cause a rush of blood towards the heart oiverloading its capacity.

Bottom line, no, it does not cause “tremors”. It can be risky, however, based on age, conditioning and even sex and body weight (with regards to body fat).

[quote]Professor X wrote:
the subsequent vasocontriction would cause a rush of blood towards the heart oiverloading its capacity.
[/quote]

That is fascinating, truly. I never would’ve thought of that in a million years. So it would be very, very roughly like squeezing all the fingers on a rubber glove filled with water and forcing the water into the large part in the middle.

–Tiribulus->

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Professor X wrote:
the subsequent vasocontriction would cause a rush of blood towards the heart oiverloading its capacity.

That is fascinating, truly. I never would’ve thought of that in a million years. So it would be very, very roughly like squeezing all the fingers on a rubber glove filled with water and forcing the water into the large part in the middle.

–Tiribulus->

[/quote]

Exactly. Therefore, don’t run into a cold shower after training, especially if you have pre-existing heart problems.

–Tiribulus->

Exactly. Therefore, don’t run into a cold shower after training, especially if you have pre-existing heart problems.[/quote]

Well, I stand corrected. Maybe this guy’s gym mates know more than we thought.

–Tiribulus->

The truth is, the older you are, the more this is actually a risk. It just isn’t common knowledge.

If an older gentlemen goes directly from his intense workout and jumps into a cold shower, the rush of blood back to the heart could potentially cause a heart attack by increasing the afterload. That means because there is more blood in the muscles, the subsequent vasocontriction would cause a rush of blood towards the heart oiverloading its capacity.

Bottom line, no, it does not cause “tremors”. It can be risky, however, based on age, conditioning and even sex and body weight (with regards to body fat).[/quote]

OK, that being said, although thre is an increased risk, is it still low? Also, a person with said condition, aren’t they more at risk during the intense workout if they are doing an intense workout? Would not moderation take a bite out of the risk? Moderate intensity to low intensity workout, normal showering temperatures? I am not dismissing the possible.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
OK, that being said, although thre is an increased risk, is it still low?[/quote]

Yes. Obviously if you are in good shape, healthy and have no existing conditions that would make you prone to an attack, you have little if anything to worry about. If you are 60+ years old, have high blood pressure, diabetes, and are overweight, you may want to avoid major shocks to your vascular system.

The point was, there is a possible issue so the original poster’s premise isn’t as out there as some of the people in this thread made it sound. It is a possibility and that is the point.

Mind you, healthy young athletes suddenly dropping dead on the basketball court is something that can happen also. People should think outside the box on some issues.

[quote]
Also, a person with said condition, aren’t they more at risk during the intense workout if they are doing an intense workout? Would not moderation take a bite out of the risk? Moderate intensity to low intensity workout, normal showering temperatures? I am not dismissing the possible. [/quote]

A person with a pre-existing condition is more at risk from breathing.

It’s been a while, but having spent a lot of time in gyms and having heard numerous goofball, psuedo scientific myths declared with unwavering dogmatism, I figured this was just another one. Oh well ya never get too old to live and learn.

–Tiribulus->

Take home points…

• Know if you have special health issues.

• Be healthy.