Show Your Support For Our Troops

Want to support the troops. Just listen to them. Saying thanks is a great idea but to be honest most of the guys have had an experience that many civilians will never be able to relate to. It really is an us vs. them viewpoint.

Just be a friend and listen. Don’t talk politics with a combat vet. It isn’t about politics it’s about serving your country. Buy them a beer and just listen. Your opinion really doesn’t matter to them. Just listen.

The other thing you can do to support the troops is look in on their families when they are away. Really do it. Help the family out. Babysit, drop some groceries off etc. It means the world to them.

I travel for business a lot. When I see a soldier in a bar at an aiport I always pick up his tab. It’s a small gesture but I think it’s appreciated. I know when I was in the military I didn’t have a lot of money to spend. Every little bit helps.

If there is a VA hospital around where you live, one of the best experiences you can ever have to is to go and thank them and listen to them. I ended up visiting a VA hospital in San Antonio (by a weird string of circumstances) and it was amazing to just sit there and listen to them tell stories.

[quote]doogie wrote:
If there is a VA hospital around where you live, one of the best experiences you can ever have to is to go and thank them and listen to them. I ended up visiting a VA hospital in San Antonio (by a weird string of circumstances) and it was amazing to just sit there and listen to them tell stories.[/quote]

Great idea!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Shake their hands and say thanks when you see them.

This one thing is the most important thing I can do.

I remember a couple years ago, Army recruiters were at my college. Man, did these guys take some shit. Stupid asses would start arguments with them, berate them, etc. It infuriated me to no end knowing that this is what these guys thought was going on everywhere.

After seeing that, I made it a point to shake every one of their hands any time I saw them. The first time I did it, the guy asked if I was ex-military, as they’d gotten such a terrible reception there and it took him by surprise. I just said, “Nope. Just wanted to say thanks”. I think it means alot to them, to know that we understand that they are doing what they think is right. Not too mention they are among the few who would be willing to die for it.

I think if I ever see that happen again, the situation will turn ugly. There is no excuse for not helping these guys in every way possible.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
- George Orwell[/quote]

Well said! God Bless the men and women around the world who serve our great country and put it on the line every day.Thanks