Show Off Your Pets

She thought I was going to leave her (which is why I normally put her in the crate, during the day), so a treat wasn’t sufficient. Treat + coaxing + a little push in the butt got her in, she glared at me while I worked for a few min then passed out for 45 minutes. A success!

1 Like

She pretty much decided within a day she was our dog and lived here now. We named her Rhea and she follows us around the house so she can sleep in whatever room we are in.

I think she is a lab/pointer/maybe pitbull mix. I also had to break down and buy her a coat for the snowy weather, she does not seem to have much undercoat to keep her warm and dry.

8 Likes

My dog honestly looks pretty similar. The rescue we got her from said she was a “border collie mix” but if she is it’s a tiny percentage. Seems hound/pointer is more likely, we got the embark test though so we’ll know in a week or two.

3 Likes

Our guy sleeps wherever we are. We have a crate but I’m not a huge fan. We have it set up so he can retreat to it when he wants quiet. So far the only time we actually shut him in it is when we train in our basement. We tried to get him to go down with us but he freaked out like we had dead bodies down there.

@DoubleDuce

Nothing beats a picture of a boy and his best bud dog.

1 Like

It’s COLD out there today!

5 Likes

Out of all the things I have encountered today, this made me smile the most. I love the oufit.

She’s such a complete goober. I smile more since she’s come along.

4 Likes

How did he make out with his boots?

It’s also super cold here today. -18C. Gord seems okay but I’m not loving it.

All right, you forced me to do this! I wasn’t going to, but…

We were at -18 when we woke up this morning. You can hear it in the way the snow crunches. We’re scheduled for 8-12" tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll get even more!

4 Likes

I am giggling.

1 Like

That’s a happy doggy!

Lots of crunchy snow to munch!

1 Like

I laughed hard at the indoor stomping!

2 Likes

I know it’s cold when the deck boards creak and crack when you’re walking on them.

Your guy looks like he’s not doing too badly. It’s a bit tentative but he’s not really doing the high step.

1 Like

(She) actually ran and frisked after the slow start. Part of the hesitance was that I wasn’t dressed for outside and she doesn’t like leaving me behind. But it was maybe -5F, and I was headed back in.

I loved the clomping sound she made in them. Happy, happy.

3 Likes

So I had THE WEIRDEST conversation last night. I’d had three drinks, and became convinced that it would be fun to drive 3 hours each way to watch the youth hockey team a family member coaches in their playoffs at a Pro Rink next weekend. So we called the kennel, having joyfully agreed that we would board Buttons.

We call the place, a kennel at a lovely farm, which is ostensibly run by an 86-year-old British woman, but sort of actually by her son, who is retired military and very nice. He answers and informs us that his mother is in the hospital and so he’s not really taking any dogs right now, and Buttons is the border collie, right? No, no she’s the older brown and white dog. So he remembers her, and that she was recently adopted and then starts going ON AND ON AND ON in this meandering way about how both he and his mother have wondered and wondered why anyone would take a dog in this condition when, well, you know, it’s not going to end well. He’s on speaker and my husband is making neck-slashing motions, like I’m just going to tell Philip to STFU when his mom is in the hospital and he can’t visit and etc. And I’m talking to him for like 30 minutes thinking, I know I’m tipsy, but is he just WASTED? Though he didn’t sound it. He sounded reflective. He agreed to take Buttons, because the more he thought about it the more he felt sorry for us. Like, ?? It was so weird! Not offensive, really, just…odd.

And then I look at Buttons and think she’s so awesome and desirable. Am I having some sort of dysmorphia around her? Look, the perfect picture of robust health, who now wears her winter clothes easily:

Or do you all think the same thing and are just being polite? I need help here!

6 Likes

Nah. He was being morose.

My puppy-wuppy was starting to fade at 8-9 years old just because :man_shrugging: who knows.

Then at her 10th year we had our son and she had a newly found purpose in life, and perked up like nothing I’d ever seen. Not clearing fences and cannonballing us like she used to, but happy, alert, energetic and very attentative, especially to newborn kiddo.

She lived another 6 good years.

Even dogs, or I should say Especially dogs need a raison d’etere.

You’re family must be that to her, because she looks good.

The cold weather gear cracks me up, in a good way. It’s like a cape on a dog = instant superhero.

2 Likes

It was like I was in a therapy session, but the problem, HIS problem, was how old and broken down Buttons is. But I guess it was really about his mother, which is very sad. I left a message today to release him from the pity boarding.

She does look adorable in the get-up. She’d just come in from a romp, which followed a trip outside without the booties. She made it 150’ or so, limped a bit and then stopped dead, looking panicked. My husband had to carry her back into the house. The snow was too cold for her feet.

Maybe Philip witnessed that episode.

1 Like

I’m sure this is the case because Buttons is objectively awesome. I would go so far as to say majestic. Take if from me. I’m rarely polite.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I believe you completely. lol

I’m glad that’s resolved. Poor Philip, that blind fool!

Actually, on a sad note, I called Sunday afternoon to say that on second thought he should just focus on dealing with his mom, our trip wasn’t essential at all, so we’ll keep Buttons home. I asked him to call me back, and he hasn’t. I worry that she died.