Shout Out To Rope Skipping

There’s not a muscle group that you use in the ring that jumping rope doesn’t work; that’s why it’s such an important part of the fighter’s workout - Joe Frazier

Don’t be skipping on your skipping…true story…

+9000

I’m pretty sure I could get ready for a boxing match with a pullup/dip station, a jumprope, a heavy bag, and two pair of boxing gloves.

So true. It’s the only thing that’s helped me be less white in the ring - once you can jump, you can move.

I do three rounds as a warmup to every workout… it’s incredibly important.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
So true. It’s the only thing that’s helped me be less white in the ring - once you can jump, you can move.

I do three rounds as a warmup to every workout… it’s incredibly important. [/quote]

“less white” haha,Irish. Yeah…every workout for me as well. I’m big guy…but you best believe I’m skipping rope. It’s built the strength/endurance to be biggest damn ballerina with my footwork…lol.

Was Paquiao wearing ankle weights?

Anyway, I am not spot on in a fighting discipline, but I have a skipping rope I use both as a general warmup before lifting, and on a separate day (not today because I am sick) for an aerobic purpose. I can’t do it alternating foot to foot, but I try to get busy with it all the same.

Typically lately I try to set an alarm to go off after going the first 10 minutes non stop, the balance of 20 minutes in what I can get in intervals. What does anyone here call a good endurance number?

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

Anyway, I am not spot on in a fighting discipline, but I have a skipping rope I use both as a general warmup before lifting, and on a separate day (not today because I am sick) for an aerobic purpose. I can’t do it alternating foot to foot, but I try to get busy with it all the same.

Typically lately I try to set an alarm to go off after going the first 10 minutes non stop, the balance of 20 minutes in what I can get in intervals. What does anyone here call a good endurance number?[/quote]

Hmm…I don’t know about a number in that regards…but what you’re doing already is better than most time-wise. I would try upping the intensity by learning to alternate your feet along with other techniques to get more out of your sessions.

Never thought as a grown man I would sit and watch an entire 5 minute clip of other men jumping rope.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

Typically lately I try to set an alarm to go off after going the first 10 minutes non stop, the balance of 20 minutes in what I can get in intervals. What does anyone here call a good endurance number?[/quote]

Hmm…I don’t know about a number in that regards…but what you’re doing already is better than most time-wise. I would try upping the intensity by learning to alternate your feet along with other techniques to get more out of your sessions. [/quote]

What I have been trying to do is to do the initial 10 minutes, then gradually reduce from week to week the amount of time after that I rest until I can make it a solid 20 minutes. Once I have done that I will think of getting fancy with alternating.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

Hmm…I don’t know about a number in that regards…but what you’re doing already is better than most time-wise. I would try upping the intensity by learning to alternate your feet along with other techniques to get more out of your sessions. [/quote]

What I have been trying to do is to do the initial 10 minutes, then gradually reduce from week to week the amount of time after that I rest until I can make it a solid 20 minutes. Once I have done that I will think of getting fancy with alternating.
[/quote]

It’s up to you , but I agree with the boss. Getting up to three, three minute rounds of fast and hard jumping is going to do more for you than 20 minutes of slower paced work, especially when it’s used as a part of a larger workout. But do what you like man.

[quote]t’s up to you , but I agree with the boss. Getting up to three, three minute rounds of fast and hard jumping is going to do more for you than 20 minutes of slower paced work, especially when it’s used as a part of a larger workout. But do what you like man.
[/quote]

I minute breaks between sets? I actually sometimes do it a bit more vigorously, sometimes I pace it out a bit more, I don’t know how to quantify it. Is 3 rounds just an example, or more of an ideal?

That’s the beauty of rope skipping…it’s simplistic to a degree…but versatile. Mix it up however you like,DeadKong. Like Irish said…do whatcha like(insert Digital Underground song…lol).

As long as you have a gauge of progress/intensity…you can’t go wrong. As far as the fancy footwork…it will up the intensity…but it’s not too much of an issue if you’re not a combat sport participant. BUT if you are…get that footwork mixed in there pronto!

I thought of it originally as a high intensity aerobic thing. I usually walk instead of motoring if I have the time and energy, but that is of course lower intensity. I do however want to be able to get on my bicycle somewhat anyway. Does it help with balance when I practice Muay Thai kicking? I don’t formally train in it, I just saw a video on the web on how to do it and I am gradually improving form.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
I thought of it originally as a high intensity aerobic thing. I usually walk instead of motoring if I have the time and energy, but that is of course lower intensity. I do however want to be able to get on my bicycle somewhat anyway. Does it help with balance when I practice Muay Thai kicking? I don’t formally train in it, I just saw a video on the web on how to do it and I am gradually improving form.[/quote]

Hmmm…in relation to Thai kicks…yeah…I suppose it would help with balance. Reason being…you need to be on ball of your support foot when throwing that style kick. I think highest benefit from rope is building the strength/endurance to consistently keep light on your feet(to throw kicks properly). But from my own experience…actual reps(with proper form) build actual kicking balance.

Anybody here use the big heavy rubber looking ropes?

thai’s do. I’m not a fan although have used them and still use them. I dread it though. I do my skipping bare foot to simulate the fight situation as much as possible.
Second comment is the truth. All these ass hats carrying on with 6 week periodized, anal cleaning, tooth flossing for your type 42 newly discovered motor units programs when all you need are the mere basics to become fucking great!

Old saying, dig in one spot and you’ll reach water. Dig in many spots and you’ll dirty your fingers.

The extention of that saying is dig in one spot, you’ll reach water, quench your thirst and feed others around you. Dig in many spots and you’ll dirty your fingers, die of thirst and be of no benefit.

Find a handful of time proven techniques (no, 6 months of research at the university of asshats is not time proven) and stick to them like your life depended on it.

Hell, if it works for you go ahead and do your Rocky IV Sooper-Sekrit Russian Spetznaz training. Nothing magical about bodyweight either.

But the jumprope is hanging in every (reputable) boxing gym in America for a reason: it works for almost everyone. And I have a hard time looking at that many great boxers using it without thinking maybe they’re onto something.

Oh yeah, the other thing all those greats did? They fought. A lot. I think I found the formula.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

[quote]t’s up to you , but I agree with the boss. Getting up to three, three minute rounds of fast and hard jumping is going to do more for you than 20 minutes of slower paced work, especially when it’s used as a part of a larger workout. But do what you like man.
[/quote]

I minute breaks between sets? I actually sometimes do it a bit more vigorously, sometimes I pace it out a bit more, I don’t know how to quantify it. Is 3 rounds just an example, or more of an ideal?[/quote]

The reason I break it into three three minute rounds is because when you box, your entire life is broken into three minute rounds with one minute breaks.

But doing three rounds at a fast pace, I’ve found, is a pretty good indicator of how good shape you’re in. When I first started I was dying after two full rounds. Now, I do three full rounds and it literally is a “warmup” - half the time I’m not even breaking a sweat.

Generally you’d break it up depending on the interval of the sport you’re doing - I’d imagine if you’re doing MMA, you’d want to do five minute rounds, and if you’re doing MT you’d want to do whatever the rounds are in that sport.

It also lets you go pretty hard and have an indicator of where to stop - for instance, going hard at the 1:30 mark with running crossovers, calming down at 1:00 to just an alternating skip, and then hitting as hard as you can for the last 30 seconds before the break, like you might if you were trying to steal a round with a late surge.

Just going for 10 or 20 minutes at a time doesn’t give you a real guideline (in my opinion) of how to structure your skipping speed, but then, as previously said, it depends on the sport you’re training for.

Jumping rope is one of the best things ever. Its been a staple for years.

There are many ways to add variety in there…

30s-1min jumprope running sprints kill your shoulders and your wind. Do the same sprints except as consecutive tuck jumps for a really tough workout…making your legs more explosive as well.

Do like Irish said and go hard for 3 rounds, either at a constant fast pace or mixing it up…“flurry” and go fast for 10 seconds, then easy for 10…hard for 20…etc…

Sometimes i will jump rope at a steady, easy pace for 10 minutes, then shadowbox for 10 minutes, repeating for an hour or so.

[quote]666Rich wrote:

Sometimes i will jump rope at a steady, easy pace for 10 minutes, then shadowbox for 10 minutes, repeating for an hour or so.[/quote]

I like to do something similar…broken down in rounds though. 3mins x 2R rope…3mins x 2R shadowbox…repeat for a bit.

Thanks to all suggestions. I still have a question. I have a long standing hamstring strain that I train with and have to be mindful of. I just tried for a few seconds just skipping on the spot, alternating left right with no rope at the time, and felt a little bit of a tweak in the adductor, which was part of the original injury.

Someone had told me about a year ago that regular skipping doesn’t stress the hamstring, another good reason I got back into it, so am I best advised therefore to just do double feet? Even if so, I suppose I can still benefit from trying higher intensity ‘rounds’ with breaks and intensity changes as already suggested. Maybe try to get 2 rope passings for each skip.