T Nation

Shoulders Injured From Doing Front Raises

Hey everybody, 20 yr old male here, first post and I'm new here, unfortunately I'm here cause I found a way to injure myself.

-3 days ago Front raises with only 15 lbs, 3 sets of 10 reps with 3 sets of shrugging in between.
Though this wasn't the first time I had done this exercise, it was the first time in about 8 months. Throughout this process of doing front raises I felt/heard cracking in my shoulders but they didn't necessarily hurt. After I was done, I felt a bit of tenderness in my left shoulder almost immediately and realized I had probably messed it up.

Fast-forward, I've been getting numbness, slight pain, and tingling up and down my left arm, traveling up and down my arm all the way to my wrist and fingertips. My left arm also cracks when I move it. My right arm doesn't feel too different from being normal, besides a very short period of numbness in my ring and pinky fingers today, and a bit sore where my rotator cuff is located.

There's also a bit of soreness in my left trap area. If anyone could give me advice it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm afraid that if I go to the Dr. all they'll do is give me meds then send me on my way. Thanks again.

Here's some extra background info that might be helpful as well,

-eye surgery in july and august of 2013
-wasn't allowed movement or physical exercise for 8 months
-sat at home, walks, netflix most of the time
-ever since I was given the ok to workout in march 2014, had cracking in my thoracic area whenever I'm stressed, or take a deep breath (not painful)
-stronglifts 5x5 since March 14' - Sept 14'
-bodyweight, calisthenics until now

Sucks to be out of the game but I'm patient and will take any advice that will aid in my recovery. Thanks again.

-Meal,
it sounds like you just kinda developed bad posture, or a “slump” to your shoulders during your inactive, Netflix period. I think that’s were the “cracking” comes from when you breathe deeply.

If your shoulders were rolled forward, or slumped, and you did raises to the front, you probably pinched or bunched up something in the front of your shoulder joint. I’m no doctor, but I think that is what they call an impingement. I think that the numbness and tingling are being caused by some inflammation in your shoulder pressing on a nerve or something. Ice should help.

You’ll recover soon, but if you don’t fix your posture/shoulder position this will happen again.

Remember to pull your shoulders back, together and down when you’re working shoulders or doing presses. Here’s an awesome warm-up drill for shoulder stability/thorasic extension.

Thanks for the reply, hope you are right and that I’ll heal soon. I suppose you’re right about the cracks I have when I breathe, I had suspected this but you’re confirmation is better. I just never really had experience being this way, and I would’ve thought it would take a little longer to hurt your posture the way I did.

As of today I’m thinking about seeing a physio, not sure what to expect. Again thanks for the reply, and I’ll be sure to try out that workout once I’m all healed up, and do more research on how to get back into the groove and prevent this from ever happening again.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
-Meal,
it sounds like you just kinda developed bad posture, or a “slump” to your shoulders during your inactive, Netflix period. I think that’s were the “cracking” comes from when you breathe deeply.

If your shoulders were rolled forward, or slumped, and you did raises to the front, you probably pinched or bunched up something in the front of your shoulder joint. I’m no doctor, but I think that is what they call an impingement. I think that the numbness and tingling are being caused by some inflammation in your shoulder pressing on a nerve or something. Ice should help.

You’ll recover soon, but if you don’t fix your posture/shoulder position this will happen again.

Remember to pull your shoulders back, together and down when you’re working shoulders or doing presses. Here’s an awesome warm-up drill for shoulder stability/thorasic extension.

[/quote]

aw dude

this video brings back memories

Diesel always came correct.

Hey man. Sorry to hear that you’ve hurt yourself. I’ve had some shoulder issues and found this wrap that helps repair any muscles or tendons that may have been injured. It kind of reminds me of the Tens machine, if you’ve ever used it, but it uses Electromagnetic Imaging, so it gets below the surface tissue.

I have bought the cold and the warm, and I use the cold at night to make sure that I’m not sleeping in a weird position. I found a page off their website that works with how to Treat Shoulder Injuries… It kinds plugs the product a little, but there’s a lot of useful information, even if you choose not to use what they’ve got. I’ve got a shoulder, knee, and elbow wrap.

Hope this helps, good luck with your recovery.

I’ve just started working out again, and it feels good to be back…

-K