Shoulder/Upper Back Problem

I was working out whole year very hard and gained 10kg during this time.

Unfortunately, I see that I have very developed traps and weak shoulders.

Here is the photo. Please, guys I know there are people who can help.

How would you suggest to raise my shoulder line, so my posture would be normal.
Because right now these hanging shoulder from the traps look awful…

Thanks for you honest help!

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/204/20121205090352.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/6659/20121205090404.jpg

Why post in rate my physique?
Other then that, without your workout plan + additional pictures from the front and side I would say do more shoulder work, especially rear deltoids.

Your shoulders hang forward aswell, the palms of your hands face backwards when standing in neutral, they should face towards your hips, likely meaning you have a much too overpowering front delt.

hey man, you look fine, don’t be so hard on yourself, but also congratulations on reaching out for help, I definitely see some things you can improve on.

First you have a kyphotic posture, and I guarantee some anterior pelvic tilt, besides all the recomendations I’m going to give you, I would read the Neanderthal no more series.

I’m going to tackle this by telling you how to loosen up, then how to strengthen the right areas so this will go away.

First immediately start doing these 2 warm ups.

this is the lower body warm up, and you want to do that as people who are kyphotic generally have overly tight hips as well, so improve one you’ll improve the other. I would also add a rear foot elevated hip stretch, I’d do that 2-3x daily, and definitely before training.

For the upper body I’d do this, it will help a lot, especially the shoulder capsule stretch. if you don’t have the band, just do your best for the upper body stretches. Really focus on stretching your lats as they’re very tight, and the main culprit in why your shoulders are depressed.

Do the above at least daily, but the more the better man.

As far as strengthening, you look like you only bench, and that’s one of the reasons you’re in trouble. I’d drop bench right now, and instead do dumbell flys really focusing on the stretch, as well as I’d just switch to a military press, and start working on your overhead. Just bite the bullet man, say bye to bench for 6 months and then press away once your past this, keep it up and your headed for a pec tear, and then you’ll never bench the same again.

replace your chest work with back work, I’m going to recomend 3 back workouts a week, yes 3, if I could I’d recomend 6 to you, actually do it if you can.

1st movement - chins, pulldowns ie vertical pull
2nd movement - machine row, cable row ie horizontal pull
3rd movement - face pulls, band pull aparts, rear delt flys,ie upper back work
4th movement - rotator curls - this is so important for you right now, you’re very internally rotated and this will go a long way to correct that.

For the sets and reps, I’ll leave it up to you, but work your back like it stole something 3 times a week, don’t bench anymore, dumbell flys are ok, machine flys are not, and focus your energy on your overhead. You can still directly work triceps if you want, but no pressing movements. do skull crushers and press downs. If you want to train biceps, do it at the end of you workout. And, if you can train your back daily that would be even better, I honestly don’t feel like you can overtrain your back. If you do decide to go daily, drop the 1st and 2nd movement ever 2nd day, and just do the upper back work and rotator curls. You can do 200-300 reps of upper back work and I wouldn’t bat and eye. I do 100 band pull aparts or face pulls daily and that’s just to maintain my posture with benching 3x a week.

For lower body, I don’t know if you do much, but you have to strengthen the hamstrings and glutes.

For hamstrings, do front squats, hyperextensions, gh raise, leg curls, stiff leg deads, romanian deadlifts, and regular deadlifts.
For glutes - the glute bridge would be great and more than enough.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your replies!

Specially to Larry10!
It just so much work to do before every exercise and I’m really limited in time…

At the moment I have added such exercises as face-pull’s, rear delt and side delt raises only. Switched to military standing press.
Doing really stretching flies for chest.
On my back workout doing rows to bottom of my stomach, as well as horizontal cable rows.
Added 50 pull-ups in the beginning of the workout.

After every workout I have added planks and hyperextensions for my core, as I understand it should keep my core tight and pull my back back?

Any other simple ideas to add for the bodybuilding workout. Currently doing push/pull/legs.

Also, I’m really doing all of the stretches before working out, it takes me 5-10 minutes.

Larry10, you have suggested to do back everyday. what do you think of doing pull-ups every evening, as I workout during morning. Will it be ok, or I will suffer my progress in the gym and overtrain?
What would be the best pulls with my problem and how much of it should I do?

My lower body I take very seriously… My workouts are brutal. At the moment my biggest target is hams and outer quads.

I would say chins eeryday could be fine, but I tend to get some bad bicep tendonitis. I’d do face pulls daily instead.

The above advice looking back was probably a little overkill, though if you could do it for 2 weeks it would be a great start, and I’d follow the prescribed exercises once a week.

It’s just in my nature that if I have an issues or something I want to work on I do it every single day.

The biggest key for you right now is to stretch your lats like crazy, they’re very tight, and the more you can stretch them, and foam roll them, the better. Really focus on that.

And keep up with the 2 warm ups above I suggested, they’re just really good for rehab and prehab.

Keep the questions coming man

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
I would say chins eeryday could be fine, but I tend to get some bad bicep tendonitis. I’d do face pulls daily instead.

The above advice looking back was probably a little overkill, though if you could do it for 2 weeks it would be a great start, and I’d follow the prescribed exercises once a week.

It’s just in my nature that if I have an issues or something I want to work on I do it every single day.

The biggest key for you right now is to stretch your lats like crazy, they’re very tight, and the more you can stretch them, and foam roll them, the better. Really focus on that.

And keep up with the 2 warm ups above I suggested, they’re just really good for rehab and prehab.

Keep the questions coming man[/quote]

Thanks for the stretches.
I will incorporate these into my routine.

I can say that after I have started doing hypers, supermans and planks, i really tend to keep my shoulders more back and posture straight.

So doing face-pulls everyday will not decrease my progress in other exercises?
I started also doing pull-ups and chins occasionally.

You reminded me of myself few years ago when I had a rotators cuff injury. I started yoga to heal it. I was so into it, that I rehabbed after 6 months and started my weight lifting again…
At the moment I’m struggling doing my basic workouts, because of time: lots of work…

face pulls daily are fine, just use a light weight and focus on the contraction.

Good to hear about the progress and the added back work, give it 6 months and you’ll be feeling and looking great man. Don’t worry, 6 months passes quickly.