Shoulder Training without Overhead Press?

Hi guys
I got a question about how to build shoulders without doing any kind of overhead press, since i have some shoulder immobility. I am looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Long-term answer: Work on your shoulder mobility with the aim to be able to do overhead presses in the future. Chances are very likely you can correct this.

Short-term answer: See if you can find a range you can work in with different inclines. You might find you’re fine at a 65-75 degree incline. If you have to reduce your range of motion slightly then so be it… Things like lat raises, rear delt stuff, and benching or front raises still allow you to get decent shoulders but I point to the long-term approach as overhead stuff will have a much larger window of progression.

Many bodybuilders have built their Shoulders without OHP. And not because of any limitations in mobility. Even many of them considered this exercise less effective compared to other exercises and did not waste their time with it.
Lateral Raise
Half-kneeling Archer Row
Bent-over Reverse Fly
Upright Row
Incline Bench Combo L-to-Lateral Raise
Front Raises /which you can skip if you Bench Press/
…and others, but these are enough.

4 Likes

Blowing up rear delts has helped my shoulders a ton (I very rarely OHP, even though @Andrewgen_Receptors says it means I suck).

I’d try something like this (for context, I’m incredibly biased toward John Meadows’ stuff):

First shoulder day of the week:

• 4 sets on the rear delt machine working up. Something like 20, 15, 12, 8 + some partials
  • 3 x 10 DB 6-ways

Second shoulder day:

• 4 x 12 DB Y raise or laterals
  • Rear delt destroyer set

You’d probably be fine with just one of those workouts a week if shoulders aren’t a focus and you’re doing some kind of pressing (incline, etc).

If I wanted to work my way back into pressing, while vomiting from an inordinate amount of hypertrophy-inducing lactic acid, I’d likely do something like Coach Thibs’ growth factor training:

3 Likes

OP, can you elaborate on the mobility issue and what you CAN do that brings either hand higher than your shoulder?
And what specifically you CANNOT do without pain?

1 Like

I will try my very best. English is not my first language, so I am a bit rusty when it comes to
anatomy.
My problem with the shoulders has come from the fact that I have too much bone tissue at the top of the humerus, so I experience squeezing pain in the shoulder joint besides the decreased mobility If I have to do front raises, I can do it for approx. 95°. If I extend the arm sideways from the body, I can get it up to about 70° before the scooter itself starts to follow up. In other words, it’s not muscular problems, but the skeleton I have problems with. :blush:

1 Like

Do all types of the side and rear laterals.

High inline press instead of straight up.

3 Likes
1 Like

Can you do dumbbell high pulls or trap bar high pulls?

I can’t picture this - do your elbows travel out?