Shoulder Recovery: Up the Weight?

hey guys, its been a while and i have been nursing my shoulder back to health, ive went really light for a few months on all my pressing movements and i have been feeling good, i started going back up in weight these last 2 weeks and felt fine until i got to 2 plates on bench, i can handle the weight easy for 5-10 reps i even hit 275 for a very easy single, no pain while pressing, no real pain at all,

the only thing is when i stretch really far my shoulder still has a dull pain in it, its only when i stretch my arm behind my body that i feel that tiny ache, any suggestions? keep going up in weight or back off for a while more, thanx for any advice, just letting you guys who helped me know that i think im getting better thanx guys,

Depends on what was wrong with your shoulder. Both mine have been a real mess in the past and I tend to error on side of caution.

If it doesn’t hurt while pressing or the next day, you are probably fine. There are some things you can do to pay extra special attention to your shoulders.

Reverse band bench and Manpon presses are going to put a bit less stress on your shoulders. Probably good to cycle those in with your bench press if you can.

DB Press or incline DB press can be great for building strong shoulders. Just try and and keep you elbows in. If my shoulder are feeling a bit beat up I will get off of bar pressing all together. I’ll so this for a few weeks or until my shoulder girdle is feeling strong as hell.

Other good shoulder exercises

Seated DB or KB Clean and Press - The best accessory exercise for shoulders with KBs.

KB Military Press - bell side up with a single KB or one in each hand. Second best accessory exercise for shoulders. Great for grip as well.

Dislocations with a band.

Crazy bell bench - I think this is THE best pressing exercise for overall shoulder stability. You can do them with bells hanging from a bar or just grab the bands and do them DB Press-style. I have just moved back to doing these every week after my shoulders started feeling a little beat up. Three sets of 4 to 8 and every inch of my uppper body is feeling it the next day.

hey thanx man for the reply, i dont really have access to bands or kettlebells, i am at college right now so all i can use is what i have access to, do you think floor press would be a good exercise until my shoulder begins to feel better? Been thinking of doing incline too really light, maybe up my shoulder strength, i dunno i just hope this gets 100% soon

Why are you stretching your shoulders that far back if they cause pain?
Did the pain start after you started pressing or was there always a dull pain when you stretch that far back?
What is the shoulder injury? and what caused it.
A dislocation is different than in impingement, the latter is more likely to be effected by an overdose of pressing.
If that dull pain was always there, I say go ahead and start pressing heavier but work up slowly

just trying to stretch and be a little more flexible man, no the pain has not always been there, i know it came from too much pressing with heavy weight, i was hitting singles every time i did bench, ive gotta little pain in my shoulder today so i think i will just go light for a while longer and try to ride this out, its been almost 2 months maybe even 3 since this shit started im just really wanting to start putting plates on again guess i need to be patient

[quote]pure_country wrote:
guess i need to be patient[/quote]

That is probably the best bet. I have spent the past year trying to get back into training, but exercising just irritates it, now I’m going to have to ride out 3-4 months of no upper body exercise at all.

I understand where you are coming from man, just ride it out and take time with it.

Good luck

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
pure_country wrote:
guess i need to be patient

That is probably the best bet. I have spent the past year trying to get back into training, but exercising just irritates it, now I’m going to have to ride out 3-4 months of no upper body exercise at all.

I understand where you are coming from man, just ride it out and take time with it.

Good luck[/quote]

thanx man good to hear someone knows where im coming from! gotta just stick with it an try not to get down thanx again man an good luck to u as well bub