Shoulder Problem

I have a shoulder problem where a certain part of my anterior delt gets extremely fatigued for no reason whatsoever. I have a feeling this has to do with mobility issues as my body is entirely asymmetrical (right side of body is dominant in every aspect) and this is only affecting my left shoulder.

I cannot perform forward arm circles for more than 10 seconds without my left anterior delt experiencing incredible fatigue. If I stretch my left delt, I can hear my tendons/tissues/etc inside my shoulder crackling and make popping noises.

There is no pain yet, but I feel if I let this keep up there may be pain in the future. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to remedy the issue? I am trying to avoid seeing a physical therapist at all costs since I am a poor college student but If I have to I will.

Courtesy of Dante:

REALLY hard to do, stick with it and you SHOULD be cured :slight_smile:

Could be anything, and none of us are PT’s but here are a few things to consider.

*tight pec minor
*tigh overactive upper traps
*weak underactive mid/lower traps
*OVERUSE

I know this is really generic advice, but thats probably all you will get with the description youve given and over the internet.
More info would be helpful, like how and when did it start, what has your training been like, do you have postural problems, etc.

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Courtesy of Dante:

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement–a large “rolled up like a rope” beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion. Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back–STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY–

this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be “old hat” with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way—i want 50 reps each time you do this–one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)–the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight–do all of this carefully/slowly—

dont just whip it over and back—if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)–again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully–push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back–

your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise–Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can—sometimes I have people do it every single day—but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks–

also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions–start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter–really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here–trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering “fuck you dante” after you get to your 25th revolution–

Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees

REALLY hard to do, stick with it and you SHOULD be cured :)[/quote]

+1 this. When my shoulders act up I do that movement.(should do it all the time though). It works WELL.

+2 for the broomstick stretch.

x3 for broomstick stretch but it is not going to be your savior. The real injury and pain IS just around the corner from reading your post back off from hitting your shoulders hard and hit them lightly then do rehab work like if your already injured.

SummarY:

*Stretch (broomstick and others)
*Stop hitting your shoulders hard
*Start Rehabing your shoulder as if you were already in physical pain.
****If your doing barbell bench move to dumbbells!

Thanks guys, I tried to do the stretches over winter break but ended up not sticking to it. I will do these a couple times a week now since my shoulder is really acting up.