T Nation

Shoulder Problem - Please Help

A couple weeks ago I discovered something that shocked me. My right shoulder hangs significantly lower than my left shoulder. Now I’ve known that I have some imbalances, as I can feel them when I perform certain lifts, but I didn’t know it was this bad. As you can imagine, this makes it very hard to correctly perform many barbell lifts. I am also a baseball player (possibly the root of my problem?) and I often have pain right in the ball of my shoulder when I pitch. I have a month and a half until my first baseball game and I NEED shoulder health. What can I do to help lift my shoulder and make the pain go away??? If I left out any vital details let me know.

Go get it checked out by a medical professional, best source would be at a sports medicine clinic. You want to make sure it’s not ligament or tendon damage, or even a rotator cuff injury or labrum tear. Lifting could only make it worse if it is a serious injury. Best to go get it checked out.

[quote]jon_gotti14 wrote:
A couple weeks ago I discovered something that shocked me. My right shoulder hangs significantly lower than my left shoulder. Now I’ve known that I have some imbalances, as I can feel them when I perform certain lifts, but I didn’t know it was this bad. As you can imagine, this makes it very hard to correctly perform many barbell lifts. I am also a baseball player (possibly the root of my problem?) and I often have pain right in the ball of my shoulder when I pitch. I have a month and a half until my first baseball game and I NEED shoulder health. What can I do to help lift my shoulder and make the pain go away??? If I left out any vital details let me know. [/quote]

Id go ahead and see a sports medicine doctor just as a precaution. But I have a feeling that it may not be any big deal. A lot of people have minor imbalances - could be a result of sleeping on one side all the time, carrying your book bag on the same shoulder all the time, etc. I think the muscles on your dominant arm/side may be a little tighter, also causing an imbalance.

[quote]jon_gotti14 wrote:
A couple weeks ago I discovered something that shocked me. My right shoulder hangs significantly lower than my left shoulder. Now I’ve known that I have some imbalances, as I can feel them when I perform certain lifts, but I didn’t know it was this bad. As you can imagine, this makes it very hard to correctly perform many barbell lifts. I am also a baseball player (possibly the root of my problem?) and I often have pain right in the ball of my shoulder when I pitch. I have a month and a half until my first baseball game and I NEED shoulder health. What can I do to help lift my shoulder and make the pain go away??? If I left out any vital details let me know. [/quote]

First things first, how much of a difference is there–like in inches? Secondly, which shoulder is it your pitching shoulder or other? As far as correcting the problem (based on what little I know) I would have you stretch, stretch, stretch! Concentrate on stretching your upper traps and external rotators. Also there is some excelent information in the Neanderthal no more series. Best of luck.

My right shoulder is my pitching shoulder and its the shoulder that hangs lower than the left. its gotta be about an inch lower than the left shoulder, this might not sound like much, but it’s quite noticeable.

I played baseball & has the same thing. What helped me to make my shoulders level again were shrugs! Do lots of shrugs, on your last rep, hold for as long as possible.

Do all the tubing exercises for your rotator cuff. Also use the medicine ball. And when your done working your upper body w/ exercises for your rotator or throwing u need to ice!