T Nation

Shoulder Press vs. My Spine

When I don't go to the gym, I train at home with free weights,so instead of using the shoulder press machine I use the dumbbells.

I feel a lot of pressure on my lowerback when lifting the dumbbells,it's not painfull at all,but still,I really feel pressure on the lowerback.
So I was wondering if in the long run, when using heavier weight could it be dangerous for the back ?

Thanks

Good use the damn DB's more and leave the machine alone.

If your really feeling it on your back with just the load you can use for a DB OH press you have ID'd a HUGE!!! weakness that needs addressed a weak low back and core in general. Keep lifting things over your head and work on your core strength

Phill

Only if your abdominal area is not strong enough. Make that strong and the weight pressed overhead will never be heavy enough to hurt your back, assuming proper form is employed.

I imagine the shoulder press machine has a backbench so that you don't need to do your own stabilization. You'll likely have to reduce the amount of weight you use for your presses at home since the midsection is not in condition to handle the poundages used on the machine.

The weight has to be further reduced since the stabilizers in the shoulder girdle have to work harder as well to keep you in the lifting groove. The tendency is to lean back in these cases to bring the upper pectorals into play. Lean too far back, and you can hurt your back due to inadequate strength in the midsection. Best to lean back as little as possible.

Overhead lifting is best done standing, not seated. It's darn good ab training, too.

I think this is great advice. When you're doing seated shoulder presses, you're putting your spine in a pretty horrible position. Standing presses are a lot better, because you're transferring a lot of the weight from your spine to your abs and legs.

In addition to avoiding back problems, you're working your core, because you have to stabilize your torso throughout the movement. Barring a leg or ab injury, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to do standing shoulder presses instead of the seated version.

Low ceiling.

Go outside.

Think of a low cieling as a temporary isometric end for each rep. Until you put some dumbbell sized holes in it you just explode into them and hold for 2-3 seconds. Great exercise. :stuck_out_tongue: