T Nation

Shoulder Position During Deadlifts

Is it correct to pull the shoulders up and back on a deadlift? i don’t do it because it doesn’t feel right. The first person in this clip shows what im talking about.

how else would the bar get off the ground if your shoulders didn’t raise… oh wait :wink:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
how else would the bar get off the ground if your shoulders didn’t raise… oh wait :wink:

[/quote]

I hope your kidding…I was speaking of SHRUGGING the bar after you stand. Sorry for being specific.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
how else would the bar get off the ground if your shoulders didn’t raise… oh wait :wink:

I hope your kidding…I was speaking of SHRUGGING the bar after you stand. Sorry for being specific. [/quote]

Lock out (stand up straight at the end of the lift). As for shrugging the weight afterwards… hell no.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
Is it correct to pull the shoulders up and back on a deadlift? i don’t do it because it doesn’t feel right. The first person in this clip shows what im talking about.

Yes. I only glanced at a couple of the people in the video but technically the proper lock out for the deadlift requires the shoulders to be locked back. You aren’t competing in any powerlifting comps as far as I know so it’s not the end of the world if you don’t, but you may be missing out on some nice upper back activation by not locking out.

BTW, shouldn’t questions about form on basic lifts be in the Beginners forum?

You dont need to do a shrug at the end; though you can if you want so as to work another muscle group; but I dont as the dead lift takes a lot of energy from me and i can only concentrate on that lift for the moment…but perhaps others can do more.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
how else would the bar get off the ground if your shoulders didn’t raise… oh wait :wink:

I hope your kidding…I was speaking of SHRUGGING the bar after you stand. Sorry for being specific. [/quote]

yeah, I was just kidding, hence the " :wink: " and no, I wouldn’t raise the shoulders as in shrugging

They probably aren’t actually shrugging the bar at lockout. I imagine they are just retracting their shoulders, which is more of a back and down.