T Nation

Shoulder Popping Problems

I’ve been having this pop in both of my shoulders for awhile now and I was just wondering if I have anything to worry about. I apologize more of a cracking then popping

do you warm up at the beginnings of your workouts?

also add in some shoulder mobility (i.e - arms out to the side, move them around in circular motions) to warm up the synovial fluid in the joints.

Try and cut back on your shoulder training and go slightly lighter on it, as well as pressing exercises.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It seems like I’ve said this a lot with shoulder problems on here but it could be…

Shoulder Impingement.

My throwing shoulder from baseball was making a “pop” or “crack” and it turned out to be shoulder impingment. I had to get an MRI to find out, but the treatment is to not throw anything and I should be fine :wink:
lol

Hopefully that’s your case…

oh and does it hurt? might be a good question. lol

Gerdy

What are you doing that causes them to ‘pop’? Benching ? Overhead pressing ? Do they ‘pop’ from the first rep on, or at the end of your set ? Do they ‘pop’ if you’re using light weights, or heavy weights, or both ?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
It seems like I’ve said this a lot with shoulder problems on here but it could be…

Shoulder Impingement.

My throwing shoulder from baseball was making a “pop” or “crack” and it turned out to be shoulder impingment. I had to get an MRI to find out, but the treatment is to not throw anything and I should be fine :wink:
lol

Gerdy

Yeah, but the shoulder impingement is likely to be functional.

So weak rotator cuff muscles allowing superior migration of the humeral haed, compressing the subacromial structures.

Bushy[/quote]

Yes, thats true.

In both cases there isn’t much of a problem besides rest and re-habbing yourself or seeing a PT where you build strength and flexibility back into the shoulder.

In my case I had bursitis in my shoulder from overuse and it was causing the supraspinatus to rub on the acromion process of the scapula.

The doctor had said, even after anti-inflammatory drugs, that the “particular area on my body was real tight and there wasn’t enough room causing my supraspinatus to fray from the rubbing”.

It was making some nasty clicking and popping. It would get sore but never painful.

He told me to be careful lifting weights and not to throw anymore for a while and the body should fix itself. If it doesn’t I would need surgery and he didn’t explain exactly what would happen then.

So to the OP, does it hurt? If it hurts it could be a tear, cartilage damage, etc. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with the shoulder. If there is no pain then it could be as Bushy said, or a few other minor anatomical problems with your body.

Gerdy

LOL kind of funny that the migration thing Bushy was talking about is sort of talked about in the new article that was posted. lol

Gerdy

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

Shoulder Impingement.

lol

Gerdy

Yeah, but the shoulder impingement is likely to be functional.

So weak rotator cuff muscles allowing superior migration of the humeral haed, compressing the subacromial structures.

Bushy

Yes, thats true.

In both cases there isn’t much of a problem besides rest and re-habbing yourself or seeing a PT where you build strength and flexibility back into the shoulder.

In my case I had bursitis in my shoulder from overuse and it was causing the supraspinatus to rub on the acromion process of the scapula.

The doctor had said, even after anti-inflammatory drugs, that the “particular area on my body was real tight and there wasn’t enough room causing my supraspinatus to fray from the rubbing”.

It was making some nasty clicking and popping. It would get sore but never painful.

He told me to be careful lifting weights and not to throw anymore for a while and the body should fix itself. If it doesn’t I would need surgery and he didn’t explain exactly what would happen then.

So to the OP, does it hurt? If it hurts it could be a tear, cartilage damage, etc. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with the shoulder. If there is no pain then it could be as Bushy said, or a few other minor anatomical problems with your body.

Gerdy

LOL, I think your doctor has it the wrong way around.

The subacromial bursa sits on top of the supraspinatus tendon, facilitating easy passage through the sub-acromial space.

What usually happens is that the supraspin tendon becomes inflamed through overuse (or a structural impingement - which it sounds like you may have) and this then inflames the bursa.

Look up ‘subacromial decompression surgery’ and you should find pictures of the different types of acromion. Those with a ‘hooked’ acromion are likely to suffer impingment, because the underside of the bone presents a sharp ridge to the top of the supraspin. tendon which irritates it.

Bushy[/quote]

Hey, looked up the surgery thanks Bushy.

I don’t know what I was typing. Sometimes I know what I want to say and it comes out differently in the keyboard. lol

I have a “hooked” acromion and thats why I had the impingment. This caused inflammation of the supraspinatus. I remember him saying that I had some problems with the bursa (I assumed bursitis) being that the space it sits in was too small and my supraspinatus was too close to the acromion causing the friction/impingement causing the “clicks and pops”.

I didn’t even get to meet with the doc until after the MRI and everything feels fine now. So I’m good.

I should also add that he found calcium deposits (not quite bone spurs) somewhere in the shoulder that could have also started the inflammation, and might be the cause of the impingement.

I pretty much took his advice for what it was worth. The doc was an ass that insisted on trying to use a bunch of medical terms hoping I would just say ok and not ask questions. Then he told me to rest it and not throw a baseball anymore. When I tried to ask questions and showed that I had the slightest bit of knowledge he just gave me short answers and went on about his business. I think Dr.'s get so tired of trying to help the ignorant, when somebody who has even the slightest knowledge about anatomy comes in they still don’t take the time to explain. If he would have answered all my questions then I would have a better understanding. He was just satisfied with “take time off and don’t throw, it will get better” lol.

oh well…

OP did all the shoulder talk help? lol

Gerdy

BUMP

ok old thread but i have the same problem

my shoulder will pop mostly on pulling movements, pullups,lat pulldowns,bent rows etc

it seems as i can do just about every excersize pain free EXCEPT for Dips, i can do a few reps but then after those intital reps i really start to feel it in my shoulder…

I think Dips may have caused the original injury, or it could of been that my program didnt have enough rowing to balance out the benching?

So do i need to work on rotater cuff strength?

yeah it sucks because dips were one of my absolute fav triceps excersizes,OH WELL

ive actually come across the disel crew rehab shit before on youtube…time to look it up again

oh and Altered you may be happy(or maybe you dont care:P) that my low back problem has been making good progress lately! havent had any pain at work in over a week now