Shoulder Popped Out on Chest Presses

Today I was doing chest presses, nothing unusually heavy or anything, 12 rep sets.
On my second set I stopped to adjust, retract my shoulders back and tighten my upper back.
As I did this my left shoulder got unstable or something and popped out to the side and back in.

It wasn’t really painful, just surprised the shit out of me.
I didn’t have to drop the weight, just awkwardly lowered it into my lap as I sat up.

Its a little sore but I can move it all around, even do arm windmills without pain. From this and the fact that I was able to lower the weight not drop it and double over in pain I’m assuming its something minor and I should be ok after a few weeks rest?

This is my first training incident and I’m worried – I’ve heard shoulder injuries are some of the worst.

Is this my body telling me to do more pulling exercises? What steps should I take, is seeing a doc necessary?

if you notice an improvement over the next few days - no doc

if it doesn’t get better or gets worse - doc

either way, now would be a good time for you to start thinking about shoulder health. It’s as easy as adding things like face pulls, prone trap raises etc at the end of a workout or in between sets of other stuff. Get used to adding little filler shoulder health moves and you will be all the better for it.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
if you notice an improvement over the next few days - no doc

if it doesn’t get better or gets worse - doc

either way, now would be a good time for you to start thinking about shoulder health. It’s as easy as adding things like face pulls, prone trap raises etc at the end of a workout or in between sets of other stuff. Get used to adding little filler shoulder health moves and you will be all the better for it.[/quote]

As soon as I seen this I knew you would be on it rds637999!!

To the OP once you have the all clear try the shoulder rehab/prehab section on this article

[quote]RunnerUK wrote:
As soon as I seen this I knew you would be on it rds637999!!
[/quote]

lol, yeah I’m good with shoulders and backs, and mobility in general. You’ll notice I rarely chip in when it’s knees, wrists, ankles or necks though…

Thanks for the help guys. I used to do face pulls pretty frequently and haven’t been doing them lately, maybe that could be a reason for this?

It’s actually worse today than it was yesterday, I’m hoping it was just a sorta delayed onset and it won’t get any worse from its current baseline.

I can lift my arms above my head as if I was doing a front delt raise and reach like I was trying to touch the ceiling with very little pain

However doing this to the side like a medial delt raise causes noticeable pain and feels like I’m tweaking something.

I did the LYTP complex and the very top of the Y and the P caused pain. The L and T felt fine.

Could any of this be a clue as to exactly what is fucked up?

[quote]bpiner wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I used to do face pulls pretty frequently and haven’t been doing them lately, maybe that could be a reason for this?

It’s actually worse today than it was yesterday, I’m hoping it was just a sorta delayed onset and it won’t get any worse from its current baseline.

I can lift my arms above my head as if I was doing a front delt raise and reach like I was trying to touch the ceiling with very little pain

However doing this to the side like a medial delt raise causes noticeable pain and feels like I’m tweaking something.

I did the LYTP complex and the very top of the Y and the P caused pain. The L and T felt fine.

Could any of this be a clue as to exactly what is fucked up?[/quote]

If you feel pain on the Y and P don’t do them. Rest and ice for a couple of days and then see if things have settled down.