Shoulder Pain

Ok guys so i benched with a different bar last night where the rings are a little further out. So my grip was a little wider than usual. On my last few sets i had a pain in my left shoulder. It felt like a needle or maybe a pinching but not painful enough to stop my training. Its kind of by the front delt and it only hurts on the way down. Do you think this is an injury waiting to happen or maybe its because of not being used to the wider position?

I had a few positive things with the wider grip also.

1. More control on the way down.

2. More power of the bottom

3. Somehow was able to use more leg drive.

So whats up do you think i should give a little wider a shot? Or just stick with my original bench grip width?

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Ok guys so i benched with a different bar last night where the rings are a little further out. So my grip was a little wider than usual. On my last few sets i had a pain in my left shoulder. It felt like a needle or maybe a pinching but not painful enough to stop my training. Its kind of by the front delt and it only hurts on the way down. Do you think this is an injury waiting to happen or maybe its because of not being used to the wider position?

I had a few positive things with the wider grip also.

1. More control on the way down.

2. More power of the bottom

3. Somehow was able to use more leg drive.

So whats up do you think i should give a little wider a shot? Or just stick with my original bench grip width?
[/quote]

Sounds to me like bicep tendon impingement. Your shoulder is not yet mobile enough for this wider grip. I had the same happening to me when I widened my grip. 2 options: play it safe, by lowering (I guess 50-60% lower) your weights, and building back up over the course of 4-6 weeks, for the shoulder to gain the extra mobility necessary while doing some shoulder dislocations (they should help) or do as a true meathead would do, and train through hoping your mobility will increase fast enough that you will not get injured. I would do the second, if it was just a mild pain during that time and no pain afterwards and in every other case the first. Hope I helped.

Don’t ever want to impinge man. Kelly Starrett has mountains of shoulder mobility stuff to try. Dislocations are always a go to one. Definitely wouldn’t move the grip out if there was shoulder pain.

I think im gonna move it back in i did a joker set 365 paused and it was rough getting it back up but got it. My usual grip i hit 340 paused still hard to get up but i figure if i have no pain that way mine as well stick with it.

This might be a stupid question but are all olympic 45lb bars the same distance from the inside of the collar to the beginning of the smooth?

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
This might be a stupid question but are all olympic 45lb bars the same distance from the inside of the collar to the beginning of the smooth?[/quote]

Nope.

Thats kind of stupid lol. I dont want to have to take a tape measure to the meet.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Thats kind of stupid lol. I dont want to have to take a tape measure to the meet.[/quote]

I put my hands in the same place on a bar regardless of where the the smooth/knurling is. Are you unable to feel the correct placement without a physical landmark?

Pretty much for the bench. I always use the sane exact bar in the gym and when im using a different bar i always second guess myself and fuck it up.