T Nation

Shoulder Pain

I did a search and found several threads and read the articles on shoulder savers but still haven't found what I'm looking for. I know there are several things that could be causing my problem but I'd like to know how to figure out which one and how to treat it.

I just started the stripped down hypertrophy program:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//stripped_down_hypertrophy

I picked DB press for the horizontal push because I've never done them on a regular basis and wanted to pick something I didn't like in order to improve it. I've been going pretty light because I'm not used to this exercise.

I increased the weight yesterday and after one set my shoulder started to ache. It didn't start to hurt until about a minute after the set and it continued to hurt for about 30 mins during which time I took some advil.

The pain is in my left shoulder and was a dull ache in the middle and slightly to the front of the joint. It is not a muscle pain. I tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder last year and have been doing rotator cuff exercises once in a while on both shoulders. My right shoulder is fine, no pain at all.

My question of course is how to I figure out what my problem is?