Shoulder Pain While Benching

As the weeks have progressed, I’ve noticed my shoulders have become very sore and achey after bench workouts. It is not the type of sore like a muscle, but almost a sharp pain that hits me every time i put pressure on them in certain ways. I’ve noticed it especially killing me during decline bench. The mystery of it is, it comes and goes and doesn’t affect me with DB bench, only barbell. The pain comes in the front part of my shoulder, and I’m not sure if it is muscle or tendon.

My question is, am I possibly benching wrong? Would my form have anything to do with this sudden pain? Or could it just be too much stress?

I’m not exactly built for benching, I’m 6’1-2 and have some long-ass arms. I bring the bar to 90 degrees to try and save my shoulders a bit, but still get the pain. Could this essentially be causing my pain?

Is there really a cure or an answer to this pain? Or could it just be the way my body is put together and DB’s are just a healthier choice for me?

Anybody with possible answers or suggestions to my problem, I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

this might help…

search youtube for a video of date tate explaining all this as well

1. Try moving your grip in. Does it hurt doing close grip benching?
  2. Where does the bar end, ensure the bar finishes at the bottom of the rib cage.
  3. Keep your shoulder blades contracted and down through all the reps.
  4. How much pushing to pulling do you do in your routine?
  5. Read Robertson’s shoulder saves articles?
  6. Start doing scap rehab and external rotation exercises.
  7. What does bring the bar to 90 degrees mean? If you mean arms rather than bar. Then take all weight of the bar can you touch your chest without pain?
  8. Consider ditching BB benching for neutral DB benching.

Your question is a bit silly because you kind of answered yourself as to what you should do. Switch from barbell to dumbbells. Your not supposed to feel joint pain.

Could be the result of weak front delts. I know the second time I had this problem, it went away when I started doing more shoulder work (eliminated shoulder work and after a few weeks, the pain set in).

Another suggestion, Dante has a post on intensemuscle.com that has also cured my shoulder pain in the past. Not sure where its at but you can search it.

[quote]plateau wrote:

1. Try moving your grip in. Does it hurt doing close grip benching?
    Yes, that is what i believe started the pain in the first place. I adjusted my grip because i felt i was out too wide and thought it would help me get some extra strength behind the bar but after a week or 2 thats when the pain started in.

2. What does bring the bar to 90 degrees mean? If you mean arms rather than bar. Then take all weight of the bar can you touch your chest without pain?
    To save my shoulders during baseball we were taught to only bring our arms to 90 degrees, not the bar (excuse me). I have no problem with the motion of touching the bar all the way to my chest other than my arms are so long i have no leverage to get alot of weight moving again from that position without putting extreme stress on my shoulders.

I think i’ll try sticking with DB’s for a few weeks and see if the pain disipates, if not I’ll post back up here again.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Your question is a bit silly because you kind of answered yourself as to what you should do. Switch from barbell to dumbbells. Your not supposed to feel joint pain.[/quote]

he was looking for constructive input. fail.