T Nation

Shoulder Pain in Straight-Bar Back Squat Position

Not a bulky person but agony when reaching back to this position, mostly felt at the base of the delt between bicep and tricep on the right shoulder. Done some of the tests but can’t decide what it is. Side lateral raises ain’t so good, but other movements not affected, benching is no problem, Diagnosis? Rehab? TIA

Diagnosis: lack of external shoulder rotation

Rehab:

Step your bicep

Do a little mid-back move to get your shoulders stable

Try putting your pinkie under the bar. Or your pinkie and your ring finger under the bar.

Don’t be one of those clowns with the ultra destructive, ultra low bar position.

1 Like

Great work. Thanks so much for the comprehensive answer. I’ll get on to this tomorrow.

1 Like

Anytime! Good luck.

How narrow is your grip on the bar?

I think about 1 to 1.25 hand widths away from my shoulders, but struggle to get that narrow at the moment because of the pain.

Try widening them out slightling.

1 Like

Do these and don’t start squatting until you feel a substantial reduction in pain when you have the bar in position.

Okay, will do, thanks :+1:

All banger advice.

If you aren’t already, consider utilising behind-the-neck pressing in your training. Start light with reduced ROM (pressing from bar at scalp height to full extension) and gradually build up load and range of motion over time. This will help you maintain the range of motion required for low bar squatting.

Okay. Got it thanks :+1:

1 Like