Shoulder Pain During Some Movements

Hi guys. Im 20 years old. 6’0. 197lbs.

Been training since I was 16 and am now having shoulder pain. Im really not sure when it started, Id say sometime in the last 7-8 months, but whenever I do certain movements I get a pain in my shoulder. This may be a really odd explanation but when Im feeling the pain it almost feels as though I have a glass shoulder and its about to snap? If that makes sense.

To describe more, I feel as though If I were to a snatch (never have) the barbell would fly past my shoulders and fall behind me due to my shoulder giving out. While I do shoulder workouts I only feel the pain very slightly and its in certain positions while stretching. However, exercises like Dips and Pullups really hurt. Sometimes I will also feel it on flat bench, incline, decline. The pain is on the ball. It is right on the front of the ball.

It feels as though its between the tendons and the ball in my shoulder. I tried pullups the other day and it didnt hurt as my form was very strict but right after releasing, it began to throb for about a minute or so and the pain is sharp. I have taken a week off here and there and it has not helped the shoulder. And at this point its really not hindering my lifting but more of an annoyance and I dont want to cause further injury. Ideas?

Also. Right now I do warm up shoulders and stretch and I do the dislocate shoulder stretch religiously. Lastly, every once in awhile I roll my shoulder against a lacrosse ball and it throws a sharp pain in my shoulder but after it almost feels “relieved”

i’ve never heard of this but Im going to go out on a limb. I’ve looked through my logs and noticed that around the time my shoulder started hurting I had begun doing the wood stick shoulder dislocate stretch. Sometimes I use bands If Im sore, other times I will use a wooden stick. Ever since I have done them my left shoulder “pops” very slightly every rep which I told happens to a lot of people and is no biggie. Every rep I do is very slow and wide enough to where Im not messing up my shoulder with a too narrow grip. Since I stopped doing this about 1 week ago my shoulder has not hurt. I dont know if anyone else has had this problem or what, but Im thinking this might be the solution for me.

I’m rehabbing a shoulder injury right now and the broom dislocates made it MUCH worse. I was pretty pissed off!

Is the pain you’re feeling kinda up into your armpit?

I actually just talked to a guy at the gym today and he told me the same thing you said. I’ve never had a shoulder injury but these dislocates definitely had a negative impact on my shoulder. But no, the pain is literally on the front of the ball in my shoulder lol. Between the ball and the tendons.

you’ve got a different thing to me. My physio says my rhomboids are “crazy” and my infraspinatus is fucked.

Good luck rehabbing mate

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
you’ve got a different thing to me. My physio says my rhomboids are “crazy” and my infraspinatus is fucked.

Good luck rehabbing mate[/quote]

sounds like we actually have similar situations… you get neck spasms?

BallinBoss, I used to have a similar pain too. Shoulder dislocates definitely made it feel worse for me too. Look up where the subscapularis is - it’s part of the rotator cuff. Does that seem like where the pain was coming from?

For me it would only start bugging me in a workout after bench press. Then after that things like pull ups would hurt, but they wouldn’t usually hurt if I didn’t do bench press first. The bench press was really my trigger. I pulled my grip in narrower and it stopped bugging me, then I started to do stability work until it felt better.

If it’s feeling better now that’s great. It’s still never a bad idea to do some prehab anyways though. Internal rotations, external rotations and lying lateral raises are good for simple rotator cuff exercises. Just keep the weight light (remember that they are small muscle you’re working) and maybe 2 sets of 10. If your shoulders are feeling even better, then you could even try some Turkish Getups. That will stabilize your shoulder a lot. Personally I don’t like doing getups on a day where I already worked my shoulders. Just listen to your body and you’ll figure out the rest.

Good luck!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
I’m rehabbing a shoulder injury right now and the broom dislocates made it MUCH worse. I was pretty pissed off!

Is the pain you’re feeling kinda up into your armpit?[/quote]

Ditto. I had been doing those for a couple of years THINKING they were helping, when in fact they were aggravating my biceps tendon (the part that connects under the shoulder0.

I had something similar to what you’re describing.

It was a subscapularis inflammation. I suspected it was this, and the physio confirmed it.

I was put on 3 sets of 12 reps of seated internal rotations, 3 sets of 12 reps of prone internal rotations, 3 sets of 12 reps of front raises and 3 sets of 10 reps of front raises against a wall while trying to keep my back flat against it

All internal rotations were done with a rehab band.

I’ve kept up the routine every day since it hurt, even when I started feeling ‘symptonless’ after 6 months - so I’ve been doing it for 3 years solid now.

Hey guys. Forgot to mention. Even though I am not a bodybuilder or one that is trying to compete, when I mess around at home and try the “front pose” where ya know, you like roll the shoulders back and it flares you out. That sometimes hurts my left shoulder. And again, the pain is literally on the ball and almost feels like pressure on it with some sharpness lol.