T Nation

Shoulder Pain + Bench Press

So when i do bench presses my right shoulder hurts. What does this mean? i can finish the set usually, but i was wondering if anyone ever had this and what did they do to fix it?

Seriously it could be anything. Is it only when you are benching or after too? Do you feel the same thing on overhead presses?

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
So when i do bench presses my right shoulder hurts. What does this mean? i can finish the set usually, but i was wondering if anyone ever had this and what did they do to fix it?[/quote]

Not to sound like a dick but stop benching. If benching hurts it then don’t.

Do Incline bench, incline DB, decline bench, decline db, cable crossovers, db flys, push ups, plyo push ups, dips, you get the point. There is plenty of ways to hit chest than the bench press.

Also, prior to working chest and or shoulders do an extensive warm up. Such as:

Med Ball Slams (Light x15)
Med Ball Slams (Still light but heavier x10)
Face Pull 2x15
Push Ups 2x10
DB Sh press 1x15 (Light)
DB Shurs 1x15 (Med)
Then,
Normal Chest warm up

I had the same problem last year. Somedays just sitting around my shoulder ached. I stopped benching (but still do close grip) and doubled my rowing and pulling. Voila! My shoulder feels much better.

Are you taller? I’m 6’1" and I think the longer your arms are, the eisier it is to jack up the shoulder. Also, I would suggest substituting in dumbell nuetral-grip presses. Also be sure you are tucking in your scapula. This seems to help as well.

cueball

Could be alot of things as the shoulder is a very complex area, but I’d def look into it because ignoring it is not a great idea as you might end up with long term problems.

Check out this article and see if it helps:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=07-016-training

advice everybody has given me when something hurts is to stop doing what hurts. Rest it for a little bit, that doesn’t mean you have to take off from the gym, but don’t train chest or shoulders for a week. When you come back if it still hurts see a doc…it could be a myriad of problems in the shoulder, most of which are no bueno…

Gerdy

yeah i was afraid i would get advice like that. it doesnt bother me when i do overhead shoulder press at all. i have switched to dumbell bench and it is better. would it be a strength imbalance perhaps? what else could it be?

how wide is your grip? maybe move it in a bit. what the hell do i know

I had shoulder pain that was affecting chest and back workouts. I finally wised up to warming up better. Seated shoulder press with low weight 3-5 sets of 15. The clicking and popping has stopped along with the pain and my overall workouts have greatly improved. Shoulders have definately been my weak spot.