T Nation

Shoulder & Neck Pain

Hey about 10 days ago I was doing one armed hammer curls on a preacher pad with my left arm and i felt a strain going up and down my neck through my shoulder blades… Since then i’ve had pain through my neck… and a sharp pain between the shoulder blades more towards the right side…

I’ve gone to a chiro twice and massage therapist twice… rubbed a presicription anti inflamitory for arthritis… taken muscle relaxants… iced heated everything… and I still havent healed… I haven’t worked out in like a week…

what should I do about this pain and can it be related to my l4-l5 herniated disc which has felt wonderful the last month or so.

Most pain along the medial border of the scapulae can be attributed to cervical disc problems and referred pain from the rotator cuff - sometimes a bit of both. I’d look for a good ART guy in your area.

activerelease.com

www.EricCressey.com

why was my thread moved and the subject changed…?

anyways thanks Eric… but i dont have any signs of it being connected to the bone (discs) or something rotator cuff related…

it happened when i was hammer curling on a preacher pad and the pain is in my neck down to under my neck and between the blades in the upper-mid back

[quote]ali23 wrote:
why was my thread moved and the subject changed…?

anyways thanks Eric… but i dont have any signs of it being connected to the bone (discs) or something rotator cuff related…

it happened when i was hammer curling on a preacher pad and the pain is in my neck down to under my neck and between the blades in the upper-mid back[/quote]

Dude. Are you serious? First you post about pain in you NECK and BACK between your shoulder blades. Then make reference to a previously herniated disc.

You don’t know the source so you post here and ask what could be causing it. Then when a coach that has WAY more experience and knowledge than you says it could be a disc problem or referral pain, you blow it off after already asking if it could have something to do with your herniated disk!

Do you know what referral pain is? When my shoulder is acting up, my hand aches. Just because you were curling, doesn’t neccesarily mean you didn’t jack up your back or shoulder.

Especially since it was ONE arm curls on a preacher bench. This automatically puts your body out of whack. One side is straining while the other is relaxed.

It’s pretty lame to ask questions you don’t know answers to then blow off educated answers.