Shoulder Mobility

Ok so I’ve been lifting since march and about 8 or 9 weeks ago I started the Texas Method from SS and I’ve been seeing consistant gains.
But I’ve realised I need to start doing some shoulder mobility work as I feel it’s starting to become a limiting factor in my press and sometimes even my squat(low bar).

But my workouts are already taking long enough so I was wondering what exercises I should do and if I could do them on my rest days(I generally do some moderate cardio two or three times a week so ideally I would do the mobility exercises on those days as the cardio is short in duration).

What exercises? Sets? Rep ranges? When?

Any advice offered is appreciated,

Regards
Kev

Before I workout, regardless of the workout, I warm up my shoulders with an empty bar. I do a few presses to get the blood flowing, I hold the bar over head and twist my body to the left and right to genetly push my ROM, I do some military presses while tilting my head and shoulders forward, so I open up the ROM of my shoulders even more, and then I do shoulder dislocates.

The whole thing takes maybe a couple of minutes.

If it sounds too complicated, just do shoulder dislocates.

It has been quoted from various coaches and world class athletes that you should plan a corrective exercise phase in your training every now and then. You don’t stop doing your core lifts, but instead of doing ‘assistance’ work, you do ‘corrective’ work on those workout days.

Otep: I should have mentioned in my first post that I already do a few shoulder dislocates before I workout. I’ve stuck with the SS template for now so I always squat first and I do a few dislocates when I start every workout. I don’t have a template for sets or reps, I just do them in before and in between my very light first few warm-up sets until I feel I’m good to go.

Jay: Would that essentially be like back-off sets with a strong emphasis on form?

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Jay: Would that essentially be like back-off sets with a strong emphasis on form?[/quote]

Not really. Just as an example, you’d do your military presses as usual. Then follow up with internal and external rotations and maybe some wall slides, instead of the lateral raises and DB presses you’d normally do. Finish up by stretching.

Do that for about six weeks and then go back to your regular program.

I do not have a set/rep scheme for shoulder dislocates either. But if I had to create one, I would advise five sets of five, each set involving narrowing the distance between the hands on the bar until you hit your limit for that day, at which point you stop.

There should not be a need for rest between sets. And gradually narrowing your grip is important.

I have never seen someone who regularly does shoulder-dislocates to lack mobility in his shoulder. Then again, I have never seen someone whose weak point in the military press was his mobility.

The only other exercise I can offer is wall slides, and maybe dynamic arm-swings as recommended in Thomas Kurz’ Stretching Scientifically. Youtube should be able to provide examples of both, if you are unfamiliar with them.

[quote] I’ve realised I need to start doing some shoulder mobility work as I feel it’s starting to become a limiting factor in my press and sometimes even my squat(low bar).
[/quote]

The “sleeper stretch” is good. See Cressey’s writings about it. Be careful though, you’ll be damn sore the first few times if you’ve got any rotator/labrum issues.

I have had shouder issues. It’s good that you are making this a priority early on, stick at it, as you do not want to fuck your shoulder up mate!

You can look up exercises on exrx.net

Before each workout, i do internal and external rotations (both kinds) with a DB for 20-30 reps (not to failure). This is to activate the muscles that support your delts. I also do facepulls daily in the same rep range.

Chest stretches using a wall are good, as are lat stretches (both pull on your shoulders). The old tricep stretch overhead and arm across the chest are also useful stretches. Also, the sleeper stretch as mentioned earlier.

I would highly recommend you read ‘pressups, face pulls and shrugs’ (or something like that) on this site, as it gives you a good idea of corrective exercises.

A highly recommended and simple stretch (which I personally don’t use) is the DC broomstick stretch. Search google/here for DC shoulder stretch or whatever and you’ll find it. It’s done for 50 reps or so with a light broomstick.

Apologies if this seems a lot, but its necessary IME, and it’s best to prevent an injury rather than rehab it!