T Nation

Shoulder Mobility For Squats

Hey, recently when squatting I’ve been having trouble getting my left arm into proper position due to tightness and lack of mobility and I’m in need of some specific drills/stretches that help this. So, if anyone knows some good stretches please let me know.

Doorway stretches for the pecs.

Shoulder dislocates with a broomstick.

Lie down over a foam roller, rolled up towel or swiss ball to stretch upper back.

External Rotations. Face Pulls. Wall Slides. You’ve likely got some imbalances in your whole shoulder.

Grab the bar THEN swing yourself up under it into place. Shoulder ain’t got a choice then. That’s what I do, but I don’t have the issue either. Might not work for you.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
Doorway stretches for the pecs.

Shoulder dislocates with a broomstick.

Lie down over a foam roller, rolled up towel or swiss ball to stretch upper back.

External Rotations. Face Pulls. Wall Slides. You’ve likely got some imbalances in your whole shoulder.
[/quote]

I’ll try these thanks. I probably to have shoulder imbalances. I’ve been trying to fix my severe geek back from being a former fat WoW addict. I do a lot of back work, but will add all of these.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Grab the bar THEN swing yourself up under it into place. Shoulder ain’t got a choice then. That’s what I do, but I don’t have the issue either. Might not work for you.[/quote]

This is what I normally do, but I often end up with a pretty sore left shoulder if I do this, so I’ll try what dragnCarry said

My shoulders/back/forearms cramp up a bit and are not very comfortable with very close grip-I use high bar position- so I tend to have a wider grip and its more comfortable.

Are you gripping very close? If you go wider it might be more comfortable for you.

[quote]shizen wrote:
My shoulders/back/forearms cramp up a bit and are not very comfortable with very close grip-I use high bar position- so I tend to have a wider grip and its more comfortable.

Are you gripping very close? If you go wider it might be more comfortable for you. [/quote]

I tried going wide, but I lose tightness before it becomes comfortable, annoying predicaments. I guess I’ll do something else for a while until I can fix any imbalance I have

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
I probably to have shoulder imbalances. I’ve been trying to fix my severe geek back from being a former fat WoW addict. I do a lot of back work, but will add all of these.[/quote]

You definitely have shoulder imbalances if you have severe geek back.

I did and do a ton of back work, but it’s not the prime movers that cause the problems (usually).

Amongst other things, my physio has me doing 3 sets of 30 on the external rotations using therabands. It’s very little resistance but that’s all it takes. I mention this because it was hard to get my head around it at first. I started off trying to do them with the cable machine, but it was way too much weight and my prime movers took over.

The Mike Robertson articles on this website are great, highly recommended. Pay attention to your posture throughout the day, especially when seated.

Taping a large X on your back and over your shoulders can help to remind you not to slump.