T Nation

Shoulder Measurement?

Guys when you say shoulder measurement what exactly are we referring to ? do u take the tape across ur back from one deltoid to the other ? or do u wrap it around one deltoid and over the armpit ? just confused .

It depends.

When I measure it, it’s wrapped around the entire upper body covering both deltoids at the widest point.

The other main way to measure it is to mark a point on the wall on each side and measure between them. That’s not what I use.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
It depends.

When I measure it, it’s wrapped around the entire upper body covering both deltoids at the widest point.

The other main way to measure it is to mark a point on the wall on each side and measure between them. That’s not what I use.[/quote]
Pretty much this x2.

I prefer to use the method that Rez doesn’t (marking spots on the wall), but a measurement is a measurement; As long as you’re consistent in the method you use time after time, it doesn’t matter at all, for your own tracking purposes.

However, because shoulder width isn’t really a common or standardized tracking point, I’d clarify when you’re discussing it with someone. For example, saying you have “a 25-inch shoulder measurement” might give one person one impression or your physique and another person a different impression, depending on which method they think you’re using.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

However, because shoulder width isn’t really a common or standardized tracking point, I’d clarify when you’re discussing it with someone. For example, saying you have “a 25-inch shoulder measurement” might give one person one impression or your physique and another person a different impression, depending on which method they think you’re using.[/quote]

Chris, how often has this ever come up in conversation? I’d think BF percentage would be more common and useful.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

However, because shoulder width isn’t really a common or standardized tracking point, I’d clarify when you’re discussing it with someone. For example, saying you have “a 25-inch shoulder measurement” might give one person one impression or your physique and another person a different impression, depending on which method they think you’re using.[/quote]

Chris, how often has this ever come up in conversation? I’d think BF percentage would be more common and useful.[/quote]

Are you saying you have never went to a girl in a bar and say “hey babe, wanna check out my 26 inch shoulders measured using the wall method?”

Yah i got what you meant Chris about the confusion . I’ll keep that in mind . Thanks everyone

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Chris, how often has this ever come up in conversation? I’d think BF percentage would be more common and useful.[/quote]
Wait, you and your brahs never hang out comparing shoulders? (But yeah, I meant in terms of online discussions/threads.) Anyhow, OP is the kid who was disappointed with being “6.7% bodyfat and not having any defined abs”, so we should steer clear of BF percentage talk.

[quote]Mizery wrote
Are you saying you have never went to a girl in a bar and say “hey babe, wanna check out my 26 inches?”[/quote]
I tried that once.

Didn’t work.