Shoulder Limitations/Flexibility

I’ve always had trouble grabbing the bar when doing squats. For some reason I just cant get my hands/arms to go back that far. I have always just forced them to get back there but it is extremely uncomfortable and it causes me to rest the bar roughly on the base of my neck and not all the way down to where you normally rest the bar. This is really limiting my ability to go up in weight for fear of severing my neck and breaking my arms off. Is this something that I am going to have to work through or should I just transition to front squats?

google ‘shoulder dislocations/ broomstick stretches’

This could help.

It might be best to stick to front squats while you develop the shoulder flexibility to back squat without pain.

^some good shit right there

[quote]Consul wrote:

This could help.

It might be best to stick to front squats while you develop the shoulder flexibility to back squat without pain.[/quote]

Thanks for replying but I am currently in Afghanistan and the shitty internet bandwidth doesnt allow streaming video so sites like youtube are completely blocked. Would there be anyway you could explain what is going on in the video or post pics from it? if not its ok just wanted to say thanks for the help anyway.

Joe DeFranco’s Simple Six Upper Body Warm Up

1. Foam Rolling of the Thoracic Spine

2. Foam Rolling of the teres minor, infraspinatus area

3. Sleeper Stretch / Shoulder Capsule Stretch

4. Pectoral Stretch using a band

5. Lat Stretch

6. Band Shoulder “Dislocations”