Shoulder Issues - Shoulder Pain

My posterior delts are really weak. So much that it kills my workout every shoulder training session and I end up half assing it to move on because it’s pissing me off so much.

I feel pain from my rotar cuff in both shoulders
but only during post delt exercises.

I know there’s alot of people out there with shoulder issues. I’ve read alot about it. Nothing really jumps out to help.

I don’t really know what to ask for this problem. Maybe just anyone with a previous similar issue. Some trial and error so I don’t have to.

I’m just fed up with this issue and want to work through it to make some gains!FUCK!

it is most likely caused from too much heavy bench pressing or shoulder press

[quote]coolcool wrote:
My posterior delts are really weak. So much that it kills my workout every shoulder training session and I end up half assing it to move on because it’s pissing me off so much.

I feel pain from my rotar cuff in both shoulders
but only during post delt exercises.

I know there’s alot of people out there with shoulder issues. I’ve read alot about it. Nothing really jumps out to help.

I don’t really know what to ask for this problem. Maybe just anyone with a previous similar issue. Some trial and error so I don’t have to.

I’m just fed up with this issue and want to work through it to make some gains!FUCK!

[/quote]

My right shoulder has been bugging me a lot lately. I’ve been skimping out on my rotator cuff exercises during shoulder workouts and in between sets of benching, so I’m back to doing that again.

Also, the DC guys recommend a shoulder rehab exercise from Dante, just basically hold a towel or a stick our in front of you with your arms extended, then bring it over your head and behind your back. Focus on trying to bring your hands in closer as this gets easier.

This has made my shoulder feel a lot better. I tend to shrug my right shoulder a lot from taking notes and using the computer all day, so that just aggravates it even more.

Also, there was a good shoulder rehab article on T-Nation a while ago that recommended face pulls. They work rear delts and if they help your shoulders feel better, you got a bonus.

I didn’t really do much shoulder work but have had annoying shoulders for the past year, now that I’ve gotten rid of flat bb bench, started doing more delt work and incline benching my shoulders haven’t been as sore, I’ll see how it continues too go though.

How do you bench?

If a wide grip, bring the grip in or switch to neutral grip DBs.

Do you do as much pulling as pushing?

Search on articles such as shoulder savers 1-3.

I had a RC injury about a decade ago, very wide lat pulldowns seemed to make it worse - I switched these for narrow neutral pulldowns and chins and it helped.

2nding face pulls, don’t be afraid to go heavy once you got the form down.

A thought…

If your rear delts are behind in development, so much that they are ruining your delt routine, why not train them seperately… maybe a few sets for 'em after back work? I know Yates used to hit his rear delts after all his Rowing work (they had already been working, so why not fully thrash 'em)

S

x3 on face pulls

Yo, thanks to everybody! I’ll look into all this info. The face pulls seem to be popular. I’ll look into that one most def.

To answer the flat bench Q. No I don’t go too heavy on flat bench. I don’t focus on chest so much like every other dude in the gym. my chest stays stong and full with almost no work.

Training post delts individually might be something to look into also. Thanks again and I’m still open for advice

Late

[quote]coolcool wrote:
Yo, thanks to everybody! I’ll look into all this info. The face pulls seem to be popular. I’ll look into that one most def.

To answer the flat bench Q. No I don’t go too heavy on flat bench. I don’t focus on chest so much like every other dude in the gym. my chest stays stong and full with almost no work.

Training post delts individually might be something to look into also. Thanks again and I’m still open for advice

Late

[/quote]

Do incorporate those broomstick stretches (should be mandatory in weight training :wink:

I agree on face pulls…

As for post-delts, try doing bb rows or yates rows but grip the plates (depends on what kind of plates your gym has, if it doesn’t work at all, just use a wider grip and row into your lower chest or so… Try some stuff out). You’ll have to use much lighter weight than on other rowing exercises, of course, but you can still use more than on rear raises and it’s almost all rear-delts…

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
As for post-delts, try doing bb rows or yates rows but grip the plates (depends on what kind of plates your gym has, if it doesn’t work at all, just use a wider grip and row into your lower chest or so… Try some stuff out). You’ll have to use much lighter weight than on other rowing exercises, of course, but you can still use more than on rear raises and it’s almost all rear-delts…
[/quote]

Got a picture or video illustrating this? Sounds exciting. Something to replace my rear-flies.

Give a couple days between chest and back day, which are both hard on your shoulders. Your shoulder joints need time to recover.

I noticed that my shoulders hurt alot less when using the smith machine for incline bench.

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Got a picture or video illustrating this? Sounds exciting. Something to replace my rear-flies.[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t think there are any vids or pics… Dante once described that one at IM (I think, don’t quote me on this) and since then I’ve been using it on and off. Try searching IM for some more info, or maybe MM.

Gripping the plates only works if you have something to grip, perfectly smooth plates obviously don’t work.