Shoulder Impingement

I have an impinged shoulder. It’s not nearly as bad as those I’ve read about and I’m getting ART on it. I’m looking for exercises I can use to stabilize the shoulder joint and to help recuperate from the problem as it is. Anyone have any experience with this?

I suffered from shoulder impingement for over a year mainly because I didn’t take care of it. I recommend getting some rehabilitation in addition to ART. Just go to find out what exercises to do and then doe the on your own. I use bands for exercises for my rotator cuff + other shoulder exercises. It kinda depends on your exact condition though so I can’t tell you exactly what to do. Basically if it hurts don’t do it and use ice when it is sore.

Usually shoulder impingement results from weakness of one of the four rotator cuff muscles. These muscles collectively function to stabilize the humeral head in the glenoid fossa. When the RC muscles are weak, the humeral head can track superiorly too far and impinge on the acromion process during overhead movements. Ask your ART provider which of the four muscles (or more) is weak, and this information will better help us to help you. He/she should also be able to give you some exercise suggestions. For now, all varieties of the external rotation (for the infraspinatus and teres minor) are good, as are thumbs-up lateral raise to overhead (for the supraspinatus). Above all, avoidance of activities that aggravate the condition is paramount. Impingement is often (at least partially) related to overuse. Be sure to bump this thread back up if you need any more help.

Definitley, work your rotator, and ALWAYS use LIGHT weight for reps. (We’re talking 5 pounds). Also make sure you work your rear delt to balance out your muscles, you can do this with a band. I’m surprised your ART practicioner hasn’t already prescribed some exercises for you already. Let us know if you need more help finding the exercises.