T Nation

Shoulder Help!

Dear All,

This is my first post. I’ve been reading this site for about 2 years. This site is awesome for me as I live and work in Indonesia, it is very difficult to get any info in country as I don’t speak the language. So I rely on this website to keep me up to date. I am 37 years old with a training history of 4 years. Starting to feel a little ‘beaten up’ these days. I hope that you can help with the following:

Questions (as I am new on here and not sure where to place these, I’ll pop them here)

Cleaning the bar - I’m not having any problems with the clean, it is the lowering that hurts (pulls the shoulders and elbows) does anyone have any advice/techique for controlling the decent?

Shoulder pain (I know it’s been done to death) - I have an incredibly annoying ‘nervy’ type pain under my right armpit (feels liek a thick piece of rope under the skin that attaches my chest to my arm), means my bench has dropped from 405 to 315 as this ‘nervy’ sensation results i huge decrease of strength. I have read many articles abut shoulder but none that discuss this ‘armpit’ sensation.

Only hurts when I bench over 225 - does not hurt when I lift overhead.

Any similar experiences - ideas?

Was hoping some coulda helped you with your question. I can’t, my pain was something completely different. I would check with the doctor. I didn’t at first, but my doc said to take a break from what was causing the pain, and sure enough I took a break and pain was gone. Hope you find the answers to your problem.

The more I read on here, the more common I see this problem is.

But I’d still appreciate advice regarding the lowering of the bar after a clean clean/press. I cannot simply drop the bar as I train in a commercial gym (complete with pink ceiling lamps - HARDCORE!).

the have soem good shoulder articles on here. Besides those, how do you sleep? on your back, or your side or stomach? sometimes after repeated tough workouts sleeping on your side or stomach can prolong the damage.

I would try posting this question to Eric Cressey in the Authors Locker room. He has a ‘Cressey Performance’ thread and if you post in there he should be able to point you in the right direction, as he has loads of experience with shoulder probs.