Shoulder Health

my shoulders have been killing me a lot lately. theyve always been kinda shitty but strangely enough it never really stopped me from getting a capped look. anyway how can i keep it so that i dont tear my shoulders apart before im 22?

ive been taking glycosamine supplements, well i was taking it consistently then i stopped when i heard it wasnt going to do shit. should i just mix in some fish oil too or what?

This is a bit of a repost concerning joint health and rehab/prehab. However, there is a ton of good info in these articles.

Basically anything by Eric Cressey or the other authors is worth a read. I’ve used info in these article to help impingement issues that have plagued me since high school. Face Pulls, and pushups have helped me a LOT. I never thought about how important it was to have exercises that involve the scapula. My warmups always involve using a shoulder horn, face pulls and a pushup substitute. Pushups won’t work for me so I used band presses (band behind back).

8 Weeks to Monster Shoulders
by Alwyn Cosgrove and Chad Waterbury
Phase one of this is what I use if/when I have a deload week.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

Push-Ups, Face Pulls, and Shrugs…for Strong and Healthy Shoulders!
by Bill Hartman and Mike Robertson
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252

Shoulder Savers: Part II (also, links back to part one)
by Eric Cressey
IF NOTHING ELSE, READ BOTH PARTS OF THIS
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409

Waterbury Rules
by Chad Waterbury
Rule #5 has some good exercises.
Be sure to read the thread following this article.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1379910

While I was at it…

13 Tips for Mighty Elbows & Wrists
by Eric Cressey
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397

and

The 10 Rules of Corrective Lifting
by Eric Cressey
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1465613

heard too many say that glycosamine is worthless to dismiss it.
Have any tubing?
Grab the tubing or a rope or whatever and in the wide grip overhand position pass it in a circle up and over your head and back. 50 reps per day. Narrow your grip if too easy.
Try it for a week.

Glucosamine is supposed to help rebuild cartilage, if your problem ist related to cartilage then it won’t do anything!

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Glucosamine is supposed to help rebuild cartilage, if your problem ist related to cartilage then it won’t do anything![/quote]

well im not sure exactly, but ive heard that cartilage breaks down as your joints endure more stress from heavier weights so i figured it couldnt hurt to replenish it.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Have any tubing?
Grab the tubing or a rope or whatever and in the wide grip overhand position pass it in a circle up and over your head and back. 50 reps per day. Narrow your grip if too easy.
Try it for a week. [/quote]

That should be a mandatory thing for everyone training with weights…
That and properly done face-pulls can take care of a whole damn lot of shoulder issues/prevent them.

Then again, nothing will help you if your bench technique sucks.

I distinctly (cough) recall other threads about shoulder health Live, you’re one lazy ass :wink:

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Glucosamine is supposed to help rebuild cartilage, if your problem ist related to cartilage then it won’t do anything![/quote]

So has anyone with a torn labrum experienced a benefit from taking glucosamine? That is what I may have, says my ortho.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
Have any tubing?
Try it for a week.

That should be a mandatory thing for everyone training with weights…
That and properly done face-pulls can take care of a whole damn lot of shoulder issues/prevent them.

Then again, nothing will help you if your bench technique sucks.

I distinctly (cough) recall other threads about shoulder health Live, you’re one lazy ass ;)[/quote]

i totally dont know what youre talking about haha

ive done those things with the broomsticks before but then again its probaly more laziness than anything

Glucosamine was a huge waste of money for me. The only thing that really gave me any joint health improvement was massive doses of fish oil (shitty shoulders, knees, wrists).

I’ve been dealing with pain in my right shoulder lately. Glucosamine supplementation hasn’t done anything for my shoulder, but high dose fish oil has helped.

The articles 4est posted are excellent and have helped me. This article has also been useful to me:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/shoulderpain.htm

What I’ve noticed is that external rotation work sometimes makes the problem worse. It did in my case. My shoulder problem seems to be due more to scapular disfunction. If that is the case with you, then you may need to really hammer on mid and low trap activation, and SMR work for the chest and entire shoulder area.

Back off a bit and wait for the pain to subside in the shoulders and then you can add external rotation work.

im shooting for a 405x5 deadlift this Tuesday. i think my lower and mid traps are fine, just sayin.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
im shooting for a 405x5 deadlift this Tuesday. i think my lower and mid traps are fine, just sayin.[/quote]

Not sure 405x5 DL ensures good LOWER/ Mid traps, those areas can be difficult to get at.

Live,
My shoulder problems are chronic.
But the following advice actually lessened my problems a great degree!

How To Cure Shoulder Problems
by Dante aka Doggcrapp

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement–a large “rolled up like a rope” beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion.

Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back–STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY–this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be “old hat” with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way—i want 50 reps each time you do this–one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)–

the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight–do all of this carefully/slowly—dont just whip it over and back—if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)–again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully–push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back–your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise–

Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can—sometimes I have people do it every single day—but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks–also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions–start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter–

really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here–trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering “fuck you dante” after you get to your 25th revolution–Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Have any tubing?
Try it for a week. [/quote]

have a vid of said exercise?

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Old Dax wrote:
Glucosamine is supposed to help rebuild cartilage, if your problem ist related to cartilage then it won’t do anything!

So has anyone with a torn labrum experienced a benefit from taking glucosamine? That is what I may have, says my ortho.[/quote]

lol Glucosamine isn’t going to do shit for it. Cartilage doesn’t rebuild as much as people on here are acting like it does. Specially over 25. The only thing I’ve heard of to fix a torn labrum is surgery, they also have some internet stuff out there that supposedly makes your tissues regenerated, but I wouldn’t put to much weight on that.

I’ve had that problem for a few years now, mine is not even completely torn lightly, but light enough so that without any strength the wrong angle will make my shoulder pop out with ease.

The only thing that has helped is strengthening every angle of rotator cuff, and the shoulder. The best exercise place a 25lbs weight on the floor more friction the better, turn it clockwise a few times and counter clockwise a few times. Be sure not to pick it up as your turning it, you want to focus on your rotators. Also look up rotator cuff exercises.

If you bench, switch your technique to power lifting style. Do light dumbell military presses for reps of 20 or better for a while at least a year still go up in weight just don’t jump to 10 rep maxes and stuff.

As far as supplements go 781, I would get those problems checked out QUICK. If your having joint problems to the extent you need fish oil at 21, then your going to be decrepit by time your 40. So if glucosamine doesn’t work then use fish oil, but work your way off it. You need to know what minor inflammation pains your body has so that you can correct the mistakes your making.

You may feel like superman now but so did all those old guys playing with bands that I’m sure you laugh at.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
Have any tubing?
Try it for a week.

have a vid of said exercise?[/quote]

I think he’s referring to this:

Skip ahead to the 6 minute mark for the exercise, but the overall video is a good upper body routine. I like it as part of my warmup.

jp_dubya wrote:
Have any tubing?
Try it for a week.

Hey Dub… I just realized my LONG post was what you prescribed in a few words. LOL

Here’s a vid:

jp_dubya wrote:
Have any tubing?
Try it for a week.

There are some on youtube but imo they’re all doing this too fast.
The description by Dante shown above should help.

Edit: Didn’t see the above posts before.

a buddy of mine said that lifting heavy weight requires a lot more fat to lubricate the joints and repair microtears in the tendons.

so in addition to fish oil i think ill grab up some flax or coconut oil too.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
a buddy of mine said that lifting heavy weight requires a lot more fat to lubricate the joints and repair microtears in the tendons.

so in addition to fish oil i think ill grab up some flax or coconut oil too.[/quote]

??? So you’re going to ignore everything everybody’s said here because of your buddy?

Train right, and your muscles will protect your joints and tendons. You’re going about things ass-backwards.